Page 13 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    He also talked a little bit about Sif. Sounds like she’ll have a bigger role than she’s had in recent years. He basically said she was Asgard’s Wolverine and would act as Thor’s "knife in the dark". Also that she’d be his conscience and wouldn’t be afraid to call him out on his BS where others might be.
    well, Sif is Thor's childhood best friend so I expected for her to speak her mind.

hopefully, she won't throw a beer in his face again...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I can live without Waititi's fratboy Thor to be honest.
    "Log onto the wi-fi man", lol.

I just meant in terms of Thor getting kicked around. I honestly went into that movie thinking Thor was going to get the ever loving crap kicked out of him. Had it not been for Jeff Goldblum, Thor would've won that fight.

But at the same time. I miss noble, regal Thor. How writers today draw the conclusion Thor is arrogant is beyond me.
    Last edited by Cronus; 01-10-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default This still plays for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Thor #172 Jan 1970
    "The Immortal and the Mind-Slave!"
    Thor returns to his office to find someone inside waiting for him.
    Unable to enter through his usual window-way entry, Thor climbs his office building
    and changes into Donald Blake on the roof before entering his office through the main entrance.
    As it turns out it is Jim North, the doctor whom Jane Foster has been working with since she left Blake's employ.

North has come to tell Blake that Jane is in danger and hands him a letter written by ruthless billionair Kronin Krask.

The letter reads that Krask has kidnapped Jane Foster in order
    to force North into performing a forbidden experiment for him.
    After reading the letter himself, Blake inquires why Jim didn't go to the police.
    Jim explains that due to Krask's wealth and influence the letter would be dismissed as a hoax
    and he came to Donald for help because he is the only person who knows how to contact Thor.
    Blake, tells Jim to leave and that he will see what he can do.

Blake begins praying to his father to bring good fortune, and the thoughts reach Odin.
    Made curious of these thoughts the All-Father uses a visi-scan to look upon the realms that he rules over.
    He sees Loki, trying to rally support for some scheme, as well as Balder
    being cared for by Karnilla following his battle with the Thermal Man.
    His last look is upon the mortal visage of Kronin Krask, whom Odin feels will be no match against his son.

Later on Earth, Jim North has been instructed by Donald Blake to go to the home
    of Kronin Krask and is admitted into the property by Krask's private army.
    There he is brought before Krask who brings out Jane to show that she is alive.
    Then, in a moment of poorly planned bravery, North pulls out
    a revolver and attempts to try and force Krask to turn over Jane.
    However, Krask's army soon train their guns on Jim and he is forced to turn over his gun.
    Krask explains to Jim that he intends to force him to assist Dr. Waghastein
    whom Krask has also captured to perform the first even mind transfer.
    Krask explains that he wants to escape mortality and cheat death. With no options available,
    North agrees to aid Krask's mad scheme even though it's unlikely that he'll let them live after.

While back in the city, Don Blake transforms once more into Thor and rushes to Krask's private estate.
    Unaware that Krask had intended for Thor to get involved and his men
    are armed with devices that are tailored to incapacitate the Thunder God.
    Initially, Thor proves too strong for his attackers.

However they use a special cannon that fires a hallucinogenic spray that is powerful enough to knock Thor out.

As the surgery is being prepped, Jim and Jane are horrified to find that the body
    that Krask intends to have his mind transferred into is none other than Thor.
    The procedure would involve the use of a Ultra-Oscilloscope, a device that would swap the minds of two beings.
    With Jane's life at risk, Jim North breaks down and agrees to continue with the operation.
    Activating the machine the mind swapping process begins.
    However the minds of Krask and Thor begin a struggle half way.
    A struggle which Thor wins, seemingly sending Krask's mind back into his body, which then dies.

Released form his hold, Thor consoles Jim and Jane, telling them that they were not at fault for
    what had happened and that Krask met his end thinking he could defeat the mind of an immortal.

With Krask defeated, Thor leaves the two lovers behind.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Bill Everett
    Even at the end of his run on Thor, Jack Kirby still did some amazing work. Everett's inks on this book make me wish he had moved with Jack to DC to do New Gods.

I don't know if Fraction's version of Thor was too far removed from what we see here, but everything Aaron did with the character doesn't even resemble what's done here. Stan and Jack even gave Jane a happy ending....and that lasted for a good while until she showed up as a Doctor in the Jurgens run, I think...have to check that. But even that version of Jane was consistent with what was portrayed here.... so go figure.

Oh yeah, this is another example of how Thor's NOT worthy. Irony.
    Last edited by oldschoolfan; 01-10-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I can live without Waititi's fratboy Thor to be honest.
    The MCU Thor? Yeah I have no interest in that. Thor shouldn't be joke, his world can be kinda silly when juxtaposed with everyday human society, but the dude is way too powerful and has seen far too much to not be taken serious.

It's about time Thor was shown as powerful and worthy, and it wouldn't hurt to let him have some romance in his life. The MCU Thor is so sanitized, let the dude have some weird romance!

Also Lady Sif! Can we just have lots and lots and lots more of her?

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    "Log onto the wi-fi man", lol.

I just meant in terms of Thor getting kicked around. I honestly went into that movie thinking Thor was going to get the ever loving crap kicked out of him. Had it not been for Jeff Goldblum, Thor would've won that fight.

But at the same time. I miss noble, regal Thor. How writers today draw the conclusion Thor is arrogant is beyond me.
    Yeah, the one thing I can respect about Ragnarok's Thor was that he was a committed hero and that he wasn't completely incapable without Mjolnir.

BANNED

Infinity War is the best MCU Thor we've gotten and it would be absolutely great if they had just portrayed him like that in Endgame and future films, I don't even know why they changed it, go ask anyone you know and they'll say Thor was one of the best things in Infinity War, everyone loved the character, I literally had never seen such a strong reaction in a theater as the one when Thor arrived in Wakanda, the audience went nuts and started screaming and clapping, I had never seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Infinity War is the best MCU Thor we've gotten and it would be absolutely great if they had just portrayed him like that in Endgame and future films, I don't even know why they changed it, go ask anyone you know and they'll say Thor was one of the best things in Infinity War, everyone loved the character, I literally had never seen such a strong reaction in a theater as the one when Thor arrived in Wakanda, the audience went nuts and started screaming and clapping, I had never seen that.
    Yeah, I wanted more of the Thor we got in Infinity War and far, far, less of Fat Thor in Endgame.

They really didn't need to turn his character arc into such a joke in that movie. If anything it should've made him more serious, not a comedic goofball.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I wanted more of the Thor we got in Infinity War and far, far, less of Fat Thor in Endgame.

They really didn't need to turn his character arc into such a joke in that movie. If anything it should've made him more serious, not a comedic goofball.
    Agreed with your previous response to me (sorry, been stuck on my phone for far too long...). And agree with above. I was expecting something even more epic for Thor in Endgame. Still a fun movie but I could've done without fat, medicating Thor.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Even at the end of his run on Thor, Jack Kirby still did some amazing work. Everett's inks on this book make me wish he had moved with Jack to DC to do New Gods.
    If that were to happen, a lot of Namor fans would've been deprived of Everett's classic run on Sub-Mariner.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I don't know if Fraction's version of Thor was too far removed from what we see here, but everything Aaron did with the character doesn't even resemble what's done here. Stan and Jack even gave Jane a happy ending....and that lasted for a good while until she showed up as a Doctor in the Jurgens run, I think...have to check that. But even that version of Jane was consistent with what was portrayed here.... so go figure.

Oh yeah, this is another example of how Thor's NOT worthy. Irony.
    I remember one of Jane's final appearances before Jurgens' Thor run was in Thor #394 from the late 80's, where she helped a young scriptwriter with her screenplay for a potential blockbuster movie about Thor.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-11-2020 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Added clarification.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yep and that's what stoked my fears about the series, here come the wild inconsistencies that make no damn sense.
    I agree with Cates to an extent. It's always a pleasure seeing my favourite characters do cool stuff, but at the end of the day, it's story that counts. But writers lose me when they take that to ridiculous extremes and just hand wave it as 'plot'. Consistency is key and there is no good reason for a story to neglect it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I agree with Cates to an extent. It's always a pleasure seeing my favourite characters do cool stuff, but at the end of the day, it's story that counts. But writers lose me when they take that to ridiculous extremes and just hand wave it as 'plot'. Consistency is key and there is no good reason for a story to neglect it.
    Yes, totally agree with this, power levels do matter to me, but more in so much as they are a structure to the character to hold some internal logic,

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    He also talked a little bit about Sif. Sounds like she’ll have a bigger role than she’s had in recent years. He basically said she was Asgard’s Wolverine and would act as Thor’s "knife in the dark". Also that she’d be his conscience and wouldn’t be afraid to call him out on his BS where others might be.
    The bit about Sif calling Thor on his BS bothers me a bit. I like Thor getting advice, but this sounds like Thor the macho ***hole who can't be trusted with power. Remember when Thor was smart and noble? The current Marvel writers don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    100% I can enjoy a good story and not worry about power levels especially when they are not at the forefront but it's not like Cates has been hiding just how much he is gonna focus on the fights and the power of the character. In one of his interviews he literally said he is excited Marvel gave him the most powerful character they have, so let's not pretend like he doesn't care about power levels himself.

This is one of the things that took me out of his Thanos story... He had Thanos somehow kill a bunch of abstract beings including the Living Tribunal, but then need Black Bolt to kill a bunch of Celestials... Black Bolt really? He killed King Thor in a single blast, but than got his ass kicked for the most part by Black Surfer with Mljonir, but then had Thanos also say Hulk is a power Surfer can not possible hope to beat but than Surfer can completely no sell Hulks punch, like what the hell is going on???

Like if he does these levels of inconsistencies with Thor, i am out.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    100% I can enjoy a good story and not worry about power levels especially when they are not at the forefront but it's not like Cates has been hiding just how much he is gonna focus on the fights and the power of the character. In one of his interviews he literally said he is excited Marvel gave him the most powerful character they have, so let's not pretend like he doesn't care about power levels himself.

This is one of the things that took me out of his Thanos story... He had Thanos somehow kill a bunch of abstract beings including the Living Tribunal, but then need Black Bolt to kill a bunch of Celestials... Black Bolt really? He killed King Thor in a single blast, but than got his ass kicked for the most part by Black Surfer with Mljonir, but then had Thanos also say Hulk is a power Surfer can not possible hope to beat but than Surfer can completely no sell Hulks punch, like what the hell is going on???

Like if he does these levels of inconsistencies with Thor, i am out.
    I think it's because editorial control has become rather inept since the late nineties and modern writers tend to have quite an ego that makes them feel they can do anything they want, including turning supervillains into strawmen of their detractors.

Power levels being all over the place and Thanos characterisation is what turned me off from Cates story.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The bit about Sif calling Thor on his BS bothers me a bit. I like Thor getting advice, but this sounds like Thor the macho ***hole who can't be trusted with power. Remember when Thor was smart and noble? The current Marvel writers don't.
    Remember when Thor went out of his way to save a douchebag shock jock, who was calling him a phony, from a crazy fanboy?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.