Page 28 of 179 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by themarkus View Post
    Not about to defend Cates. But I'm pretty sure those aliens does have some kind of superstrength at least on par with standard Asgardians. Because in the panel with Volstagg, Balder is physically restraining one of them and it looks like it takes at least effort on his part to do so.

Also there's a Random Asgardian in the back whose being threatened, the Alien is holding his arm in a sturdy grip and the Asgardian is clearly surprised at his predicament. So these are likely not just Average human-strength extraterrestrials. They are also larger than the Asgardians which might indicate that their strength is superior.

Also, I think I'll view the rock to the back of the head as sort of a critical hit. Yes Thor can tank planet-busting blasts but he was ready for that attack, he could brace himself. He also still has a central nervous system and that rock (especially if flung by someone with some level of super human strength) might have hit him in the back of the neck and blacked him out for a few seconds. No real damage was done but he goes on his knees.

Re-reading the panel, I realize my memory has been fabricating things. It's not just a tiny, fist-sized rock. It's a fucking boulder. These aliens are clearly superstitious cave-men aliens with obvious super human strength. They're tossing 150 kg boulders around with enough force to launch them several meters into the air. Thor's also obviously fighting them, he's not just trying to hold them down. They're not five-year olds to him. That's the wrong analogy to use here. If he is The Mountain/Hafthor Bjornsson then they are 1000 eighteen yearold athletes. He's still stronger than them by magnitudes but they are juuuust strong enough that when there's 10 of them and only 1 of him, he has to take it seriously. He clocks one with Mjolnir and the Alien's head does not just explode in a pasty mist so they're clearly also durable enough to survive a beating from Thor.

Now, I get it. It's not been long since Aaron left. The wounds are still fresh. It is easy to be defensive and look for excuses to say "thor still sucks". We've been burnt before. Some might not want to let their guards down. But this comic is not as bad as some say. Those complaining about wonky power levels are, as far as I can see here, a bit wrong. Thor isn't shown as "weak", not to my mind. Refute my points of someone think they can but I think this is a good showing for our favourite Asgardian. He IS noble, he has principles, he is powerful but he is also still very much a Viking God. I'm actually interested in seeing where it's going. Not just hoping for scraps from Jane-thor's table.

Also. Just saw the 1994 fantastic four episode to battle the living planet. They're laying it on THICK with the Thor worship. And JRD has the dialogue down to a T.
    In fairness you could be right, but as you yourself indicated I'm a bit past caring now

I'm sort of past having patience with the representation of Thor like this

I do think you might have a point, but it could have been rendered better if that was the case
    Last edited by kilderkin; 02-04-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In general, comic fans are very, very tolerant of a lot of average (being generous) writing.

I’ve long got to point where everything has to be right before I bother getting a super hero comic...it has to be a character I like, a favourite writer, and a favourite artist...then I might buy.
    I can only speak for myself but I work hard for my cash, I haven't bought a comic book in ages. The style of writing for superhero stories doesn't really speak to me.

Also. Just saw the 1994 fantastic four episode to battle the living planet. They're laying it on THICK with the Thor worship. And JRD has the dialogue down to a T.
    Not much else matters at this point, but the 1994 F4 (original airdate: Nov. 4, 1995) animated version of Thor is one of my all-time favorites.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-04-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added Original AirDate.

Now, I get it. It's not been long since Aaron left. The wounds are still fresh. It is easy to be defensive and look for excuses to say "thor still sucks". We've been burnt before. Some might not want to let their guards down. But this comic is not as bad as some say. Those complaining about wonky power levels are, as far as I can see here, a bit wrong. Thor isn't shown as "weak", not to my mind. Refute my points of someone think they can but I think this is a good showing for our favourite Asgardian. He IS noble, he has principles, he is powerful but he is also still very much a Viking God. I'm actually interested in seeing where it's going. Not just hoping for scraps from Jane-thor's table.
    I think a lot of us are at that point. We want Thor back on his game, being the badass we miss him being. So him getting tagged by some random, no name aliens.....it's not the best possible look right now.

But I do think you're right; this wasn't as bad as some are making it seem. How strong are these aliens? Strong enough to throw boulders, which is well beyond any human's ability. And there *are* a lot of them. When you sit back and set Aaron aside and really look, this whole thing isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. But it does leave a bad taste in the mouth, and ultimately that'll trump any rational analysis. We'll remember Thor getting knocked out by a pebble, even if that's not what actually happened.

And Cates' statement about Thor being as powerful as the plot needs him to be.....yeah, that's BS, but that's also just the honest truth too. That's how characters like Thor and Superman and their peers get written. Superman will bench press a planet in one issue, but struggle to stop the Daily Planet globe from crashing into the street in the next. Power levels have always taken a back seat to plot. I don't condone or support Cates saying it like this, but he's not wrong either and I guess I can appreciate him being real about it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think a lot of us are at that point. We want Thor back on his game, being the badass we miss him being. So him getting tagged by some random, no name aliens.....it's not the best possible look right now.

But I do think you're right; this wasn't as bad as some are making it seem. How strong are these aliens? Strong enough to throw boulders, which is well beyond any human's ability. And there *are* a lot of them. When you sit back and set Aaron aside and really look, this whole thing isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. But it does leave a bad taste in the mouth, and ultimately that'll trump any rational analysis. We'll remember Thor getting knocked out by a pebble, even if that's not what actually happened.

And Cates' statement about Thor being as powerful as the plot needs him to be.....yeah, that's BS, but that's also just the honest truth too. That's how characters like Thor and Superman and their peers get written. Superman will bench press a planet in one issue, but struggle to stop the Daily Planet globe from crashing into the street in the next. Power levels have always taken a back seat to plot. I don't condone or support Cates saying it like this, but he's not wrong either and I guess I can appreciate him being real about it.
    Superman's problem is that there are many people who dismiss the character for being ''boring'', ''too powerful'' and a ''boyscout''.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Amazing Member

So this is what Cates himself has to say about Thor's rock fiasco.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Doncates/...81826859909122

Standard issue response.
    Last edited by Brice; 02-06-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    So this is what Cates himself has to say about Thor's rock fiasco.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Doncates/...81826859909122

Standard issue response.
    Meh

Strength really should matter

If a grain of sand hits me on the back of the head I could care less

I appreciate what he's saying

It's just nonsense

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Meh

Strength really should matter

If a grain of sand hits me on the back of the head I could care less

I appreciate what he's saying

It's just nonsense
    Exactly. He is trying to save face.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It was just a rock. It’s not a big deal, just let it go people.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It was just a rock. It’s not a big deal, just let it go people.
    We would let it go if the wounds of Aaron's Jobber Thor saga weren't still fresh.

Now people think Thor can be defeated by a sufficiently large rock.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #113 Feb 1965
    "A World Gone Mad"
    Thor upsets Odin again by declaring his love for Jane Foster;

Don Blake reveals his secret identity to Jane, but she doesn't believe him; He stamps his cane and nothing happens
    because, unknown to him, Odin has removed the enchantment which allows him to become Thor;
    The Grey Gargoyle appears and attacks Don and Jane; They flee; Odin sends Honir the Hunter to aid Blake.
    Honir distracts the Gargoyle and grants Blake the ability to become Thor for 30 seconds,

long enough to defeat the Gargoyle.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone

BANNED

Tales of Asgard back-up:
    "The Boyhood of Loki!"

Thor defends Loki after Loki is caught engaging in mystical mischief;

Loki resents Thor's popularity

and physical superiority vowing that, one day, Thor must be destroyed!

Script by Lee, pencils by Kirby, inks by Vince Colletta

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    We would let it go if the wounds of Aaron's Jobber Thor saga weren't still fresh.

Now people think Thor can be defeated by a sufficiently large rock.
    Thor stands up to Galactus, and delivers a bad ass speech, two things he never would have done under Aaron, and still ya nit pick.

Come on already!

technically Beta Ray Bill should be one shotted but I'm pretty sure he will give Thor hell.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Journey into Mystery #113 Feb 1965
    "A World Gone Mad"
    Thor upsets Odin again by declaring his love for Jane Foster;

Don Blake reveals his secret identity to Jane, but she doesn't believe him; He stamps his cane and nothing happens
    because, unknown to him, Odin has removed the enchantment which allows him to become Thor;
    The Grey Gargoyle appears and attacks Don and Jane; They flee; Odin sends Honir the Hunter to aid Blake.
    Honir distracts the Gargoyle and grants Blake the ability to become Thor for 30 seconds,

long enough to defeat the Gargoyle.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone
    That's the first appearance of Grey Gargoyle right?