Page 3 of 179 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    i hope they do this. i like the new look, but i dont like the power cosmic aspect. its unnecessary. and with the way writers dont know how to scale things, its a matter of time till another writer on another book has this Thor show up to get knocked out by Namor or colossus or something silly like that.
    Which reminds me, is Thor still in Aaron's Avengers?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Which reminds me, is Thor still in Aaron's Avengers?
    yes Brood Thor in the Space

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    I wonder if the arm and the eye growing back is permanent or he will go back to his previous look once he loses the cosmic power.

Now thor should be stronger than Galactus or at least as powerful as Cosmic ghost rider.
    Hmm, will Thor stay with his classic look, or will he return to having an indestructible arm and one eye?

Brain teaser, that

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    That wasn't the real Thanos but one of his Thanosi clones. The Thanosi were introduced by Jim Starlin in Infinity Abyss (2002) in order to retcon the appearances of Thanos in Ka-Zar Vol 4, Thor Vol 2, X-Man Annual #1998 and Avengers: Celestial Quest, as those stories didn't follow Thanos' character development at the end of the Infinity Gauntlet (Mark Waid, Dan Jurgens and Steve Englehart ignored that Thanos forsook nihilism at the end of Infinity Gauntlet #6 and helped Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe on more than one occasion). Thanos realized that the most disturbing flaw to his clones was there intellectual deficiency, which usually ended with them settling for the most destructive answer to any problem. Sometimes there are characters that need a definitive ending with no more appearances. like manga characters, and Starlin's Thanos is one of them.

I'm also not a fan of Hickman's Thanos. Hickman, Lemire and Cates take on the character has for the most part, rung particularly shallow as far a I'm concerned with Thanos being protrayed as a barbaric cosmic potentate and more or less reliant on brute force to get his points across as opposed to using his cunning and scientific resources, and we know that the brutish, rampaging villain is Mangog and Juggernaut's shtick, not Thanos. And Bendis use of him as a saturday morning cartoon villain with guns who can be punched by anyone, including Street level vigilantes, was pretty infuriating. The less said about Jason Aaron's regrettable goth-tinged Thanos Rising story the better.
    Well it was thanos in the original run, it was retconned later

For no real good reason as I understand it

I do think thanos since the gauntlet trilogy has been badly written and really shud be put to bed by marvel

Astonishing Member

Not keen on what I've heard as to the cosmic power up nor to his new situation at all

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Well it was thanos in the original run, it was retconned later

For no real good reason as I understand it

I do think thanos since the gauntlet trilogy has been badly written and really shud be put to bed by marvel
    After infinity Gauntlet, Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with magic macguffins and he became a lonely farmer who would occasionally help Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe. The Ka-zar and Thor stories that got retconned in Infinity Abyss by Starlin regressed Thanos into a mustache twirling villain. So i have no issues with retconning writers that ignore genuine character development.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

First issue was good I thought. I plan on reading along with Cates for now.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Not keen on what I've heard as to the cosmic power up nor to his new situation at all
    I feel the same way. I haven't read the actual issue yet, so maybe it reads better than it sounds.

Very interesting story. (Slightly disturbed by the apparently huge death toll that only got a passing mention.)

The writing is very tight, so much so that by the time I was a third of the way through I may as well have read it all because everything just played out in the only way it could. Which felt a little like Gillen. I suspect the final reveal will have an abrupt twist in the next issue, and things will not be as they are being ‘heralded’.

Loving the art.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I feel the same way. I haven't read the actual issue yet, so maybe it reads better than it sounds.
    Yes me either, and I'll be happy if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    First issue was good I thought. I plan on reading along with Cates for now.
    The same. Story is cool, I can buy how things turned out for Thor at the end because...to a degree...Thor is new to his position. I assume Thor has inherited the Odin force at this point?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

I'd rather not read about jerky, blusterous, Thor but that seems to be how Cates conceptualizes the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd rather not read about jerky, blusterous, Thor but that seems to be how Cates conceptualizes the character.
    I will say I thought the way he addressed the other <supporting cast> was harsh, uncharacteristic for Thor.

I'm willing to wait this out and see where this galactic LOTR quest goes.
    Last edited by Cronus; 01-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

I wont whine about this too much since it is just start of a new series so we should give it a chance and some time, but the one real problem with Cates is his inconsistency in power levels and you can be "well i don't care about power levels all you want" but it's still comics and when it's overly noticeable it gets rather jarring and hinders any enjoyment of the comic.

Thor by himself is already a herald level character you add the power cosmic and he goes closer to characters like Thanos while he leaves characters like Hulk, Superman and even Surfer behind him, now if Cates and others manage to write him like that all will be fine but i am not really confident in it. His potential fight with Bill, Valkyrie and Captain Glory are not filling me with confidence as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I wont whine about this too much since it is just start of a new series so we should give it a chance and some time, but the one real problem with Cates is his inconsistency in power levels and you can be "well i don't care about power levels all you want" but it's still comics and when it's overly noticeable it gets rather jarring and hinders any enjoyment of the comic.

Thor by himself is already a herald level character you add the power cosmic and he goes closer to characters like Thanos while he leaves characters like Hulk, Superman and even Surfer behind him, now if Cates and others manage to write him like that all will be fine but i am not really confident in it. His potential fight with Bill, Valkyrie and Captain Glory are not filling me with confidence as of now.
    Valkyrie Jane has the Aaronforce, Thor could have the classic Odinforce and the knowledge of the Runes and she would still find a way to beat him in a comedic and pathetic way.

Aaron won't waste any chance to make his waifu look like the coolest thing ever since the peanut butter sandwich and to spite Thor fans.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-02-2020 at 01:37 AM.