Page 30 of 179 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Cates liked Aaron’s work. Cates is not Aaron.
    It’s just a rock and some spears...a minuscule moment in the middle of a comic that doesn’t deserve such in depth insight or scrutiny.
    Cates didn't just like Aarons work, he talked in depth about how much he looked up to him and he was the reason he got into writing comics in the first place, he even said how he hopes in 5 years he will be as good as Aaron but then realizes than in 5 years Aaron will just be better than he is now, that's the level of "liking Aarons work" we are talking about.

To you maybe and that's fine, not all of us are gonna like or dislike the same things, have or not have a problem with the same things, i could forgive such things every once in a while but every issue? Yea i am out.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Nah, the next Thor movie will probably ruin the character forever. Although Aaron is a pretty close second.
    That's the part i don't personally care about, the MCU as Scorsese said are just theme rides, i don't care at all about them, the movies honestly bore me to death. I am talking about comics specifically.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Cates didn't just like Aarons work, he talked in depth about how much he looked up to him and he was the reason he got into writing comics in the first place, he even said how he hopes in 5 years he will be as good as Aaron but then realizes than in 5 years Aaron will just be better than he is now, that's the level of "liking Aarons work" we are talking about.

To you maybe and that's fine, not all of us are gonna like or dislike the same things, have or not have a problem with the same things, i could forgive such things every once in a while but every issue? Yea i am out.

That's the part i don't personally care about, the MCU as Scorsese said are just theme rides, i don't care at all about them, the movies honestly bore me to death. I am talking about comics specifically.
    Scorsese makes dark crime drama movies, so i understand that superheroes and action packed flicks aren't his cup of tea.

Some of the MCU flicks are genuinely good though, Doctor Strange and anything made by the Russo Bros.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 02-07-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Scorsese makes dark crime drama movies, so i understand that superheroes and action packed flicks aren't his cup of tea.

Some of the MCU flicks are genuinely good though, Doctor Strange and anything made by the Russo Bros.
    There is just too many of them, they are predictable and offer nothing interesting or challenging IMO.

I really didn't like Endgame....

I am hoping Marvel/DC movies just die out completely in the next few years but is very unlikely to happen..

Amazing Member

I think i am dropping Thor...

Apparently Thor having to fight against some aliens with wooden spears and swords for 2 years just reinforces the idea that a bunch of neanderthals can take Thor in a fight...

The Thor memes will never die... FernandoComics was right, Aaron might have actually ruined Thor forever...
    It wasn't stated that they were mere wooden spears though. The handles look wooden, but looks can be deceiving. Ben Grimm looks like a normal rock monster, but he is far tougher. Wolverine's claws look like they are coated with stainless steel and well, you get the point. These are aliens from planet godknowswhat and I doubt they would use terrestrial weapons. They could be enchanted weapons that just happen to be sharp and strong enough to pierce Thor's hide. This has happened before. Many times.

He has shown invulnerability to bladed weapons when he's had to though.

There is just too many of them, they are predictable and offer nothing interesting or challenging IMO.

I am hoping Marvel/DC movies just die out completely in the next few years but is very unlikely to happen..
    Then again, i wouldn't have become a Thor fan and a Marvel Cosmic fan if it wasn't for these movies. The one good thing the MCU did was showing people that Marvel is more than just Spider-Man and X-Men.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It’s up to Cates who inspired him to write comics and what he likes/dislikes. Just because he’s made poor judgement with Thor doesn’t mean he doesn’t write good comics.

I just think we are not even 3 issues in and you are dropping it because Thor got startled by a rock and Cates has said he likes Aaron’s work. Doesn’t feel like giving it a shot and feels more like still feeling bitter about Aaron’s run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    It wasn't stated that they were mere wooden spears though. The handles look wooden, but looks can be deceiving. Ben Grimm looks like a normal rock monster, but he is far tougher. Wolverine's claws look like they are coated with stainless steel and well, you get the point. These are aliens from planet godknowswhat and I doubt they would use terrestrial weapons. They could be enchanted weapons that just happen to be sharp and strong enough to pierce Thor's hide. This has happened before. Many times.

He has shown invulnerability to bladed weapons when he's had to though.
    Yea somehow i doubt aliens/monsters carrying bronze age weaponry are carrying adamantium level metal or something though...

Then again, i wouldn't have become a Thor fan and a Marvel Cosmic fan if it wasn't for these movies. The one good thing the MCU did was showing people that Marvel is more than just Spider-Man and X-Men.
    I guess for some this is how they started with these characters, actually it's probably true for me to, I saw Incredible Hulk 2008 before i read any comic... Still at some point you can get over saturated with something...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It’s up to Cates who inspired him to write comics and what he likes/dislikes. Just because he’s made poor judgement with Thor doesn’t mean he doesn’t write good comics.

I just think we are not even 3 issues in and you are dropping it because Thor got startled by a rock and Cates has said he likes Aaron’s work. Doesn’t feel like giving it a shot and feels more like still feeling bitter about Aaron’s run.
    I never said he doesn't write comics, his comics can be good and fun if you turn off your brain when reading them. The thing is they could be so much better if he actually didn't throw consistency out the window.

Oh i am 100% bitter about Aaron that is for sure, i will read a few more issues of Thor to give it a fair chance but if this continues issue after issue i wont be able to contend with it anymore.

Amazing Member

Yea somehow i doubt aliens/monsters carrying bronze age weaponry are carrying adamantium level metal or something though...
    I am not saying they are Adamantium/Vibranium/Shadowforge weapons just because they cut Thor. They could just be enchanted weapons. Thor gets cut by those all the time. I just don't think they are normal terrestrial spears or anything like that.
    Last edited by Brice; 02-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.

BANNED

I am not saying they are Adamantium/Vibranium/Shadowforge weapons just because they cut Thor. They could just be enchanted weapons. Thor gets cut by those all the time. I just don't think they are normal terrestrial spears or anything like that.
    Well i guess we will never know... but they didn't exactly look special to me.

Amazing Member

Well i guess we will never know... but they didn't exactly look special to me.
    Yeah, it's not a good look for his invulnerability either way. But it's a neat damage soak feat, if nothing else. But I guess I am looking too much into this haha.

Yeah, it's not a good look for his invulnerability either way. But it's a neat damage soak feat, if nothing else. But I guess I am looking too much into this haha.
    As Xavier Renegade Angel taught me, don't read too deeply into things or f**** up s*** will happen.

This seems an odd thing to wish for, as a comic fan.

I mean, I get not being impressed by the films. Sure, I can totally understand that. The movies are awfully formulaic at times. But these movies doing well is good for everyone, even if you don't personally like them. No one gave a damn about Iron Man or most of Marvel's other characters until the MCU, and now those guys are household names and even have statues in major cities. More importantly, they have merchandise and video games and other things that you might enjoy more than the movies.

The comics' attempt to ride the synergy wave is annoying as hell, moreso because it doesn't improve floppy sales outside of an exception or two. But synergy is just as short lived as anything else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I mean, I get not being impressed by the films. Sure, I can totally understand that. The movies are awfully formulaic at times. But these movies doing well is good for everyone, even if you don't personally like them. No one gave a damn about Iron Man or most of Marvel's other characters until the MCU, and now those guys are household names and even have statues in major cities. More importantly, they have merchandise and video games and other things that you might enjoy more than the movies.

The comics' attempt to ride the synergy wave is annoying as hell, moreso because it doesn't improve floppy sales outside of an exception or two. But synergy is just as short lived as anything else.
    The films did little to nothing to boost the comic book sales, sure some lesser known characters are now more widely known but at the same time cinema is getting over saturated with comic book movies that are all so formulaic they might have rolled off an assembly line.

I think i would be happy if they throttled back the number of comic book movies and series that come out each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

My thoughts exactly.