Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Not a bad first issue. Not what I was expecting, but I’ll see where it goes. I like Cates to try and have a long run here. Aside from Venom, he has only really had short stints on runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    His potential fight with Bill, Valkyrie and Captain Glory are not filling me with confidence as of now.
    wait, Thor will fight Jane!?

oh boy

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

So Thor needs a external power upgrade to be "powerful" again...Oh well...

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #112 Jan 1965
    "The Mighty Thor Battles the Incredible Hulk!"
    Two rival fan clubs are debating who is stronger, Thor or the Hulk?;
    Thor happens to be passing by and drops in to offer his opinion;

He relates the story of their epic battle in Avengers #3
    and describes a previously unseen scene in which he and the Hulk tussle;

He goes into deep thought and when pressed, cannot say who is the stronger because he has insufficient proof!

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Chic Stone

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Eh, it's just an excuse to bring back the arm and eye. Thor's a warrior god so it wouldn't make sense for him to remove his badges of honor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

oh boy
    I dunno if they will fight for sure, but he is scheduled to appear in the Valkyrie comic in a month or two sporting his new look.

Hoping that Aaron doesn't force him to fight Valkyrie, but you know how obsessed he is with showing her one-uping him every way he can.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty silly. Everybody ignores the existence of the Belt of Strenght, or that base Thor is supposed to have Superman-like strenght.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

oh boy
    I would be surprised if he doesn't get pwned in a pathetic manner by Aaron's waifu.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I would be surprised if he doesn't get pwned in a pathetic manner by Aaron's waifu.
    and while she is stomping him, will she give him 5 tips on how to fight like a true warrior God.
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-02-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    After infinity Gauntlet, Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with magic macguffins and he became a lonely farmer who would occasionally help Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe. The Ka-zar and Thor stories that got retconned in Infinity Abyss by Starlin regressed Thanos into a mustache twirling villain. So i have no issues with retconning writers that ignore genuine character development.
    Personally I think it just betrayed Starlin could not cope with his pet creation taking a loss

And nothing more

It's nice finally having a good well written issue of Thor again. I see Donny has been reading What Ifs. That is where he obviously got the idea for the surprise at the end of the issue.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Donny has written some good stuff for Marvel. My only fear is he writes very big very quickly, and this works because he doesn’t stick around for long (Venom being the exception)...I’m interested in seeing where all this goes but I hope he is able to tone things down slightly so we can enjoy some character beats too.

I loved this. Cates got the “high speak” write for the characters . He got the humor in without mocking.

2 issues tho.

You don’t get more epic than what he is setting up. Where do you go from here? Unless its one giant 30 issue run.

The last page epic reveal, the art really left me underwhelmed. Its not a great page.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Personally I think it just betrayed Starlin could not cope with his pet creation taking a loss

And nothing more
    The real problem is that almost nobody tries to follow Starlin's Thanos voice and complexity. Starlin seemed to be more concerned about continuity and characterisation than being annoyed at Thanos getting pwned by a Tarzan wannabe and Thor. There's a nice bit in Abyss where Gamora mocks a Thanosi speech to a crowd of nihilist cultists, saying that he can't be the Thanos she knows as he moved away from his nihilist wannabe phase.

Also Thanos' character development, contradictions and his interactions with Adam Warlock is what sets him apart from other villainous characters. That and the metaphysical stuff.

If someone writes Emma Frost as a homicidal maniac or Rogue as a sadistic vampire people would be calling shenanigans and rightly so.

I prefer Thanos to be smart and morally ambiguos thank you very much.

If i spent many years developing a character with a particular voice and arc in mind only to turn around and seeing that character falling into flanderisation at the hands of other careless writers, i would retcon those flanderized versions without mercy.

Thanos should have stopped being used after Gauntlet imo. I don't think he works as a mainstream villain as well as Doom. Because in order to make a multifaceted niche character mainstream you have to flanderize him and erase his more unique and compelling facets while expanding and exagerating the more standard (or banal) facets. There are reasons why they turned MCU Thanos into Space Ra's Al Ghul. Although MCU Thanos is written much better than Bendis' Thanos, or Aaron's Thanos or Hickman's Thanos.

Bottom line, if we can complain about Thor's character derailment, why can't i complain about Thanos' character derailment?

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I guess I overreacted to the whole power thing. This was the best Thor issue in ages. Cate's loves the character, and I think the run will be epic!