Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

He is at least twice as powerful now.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    He is at least twice as powerful now.
    To be honest, twice as powerful as Aaron's Jobber Thor isn't that high.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I've never been into Thor since I got into comicbooks, and I found both Aaron and the MCU Thor to be really lame. But reading all of these comments, I think I'll give this one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I've never been into Thor since I got into comicbooks, and I found both Aaron and the MCU Thor to be really lame. But reading all of these comments, I think I'll give this one a try.
    if you like mythical stuff then Thor comics are for you fam

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The real problem is that almost nobody tries to follow Starlin's Thanos voice and complexity. Starlin seemed to be more concerned about continuity and characterisation than being annoyed at Thanos getting pwned by a Tarzan wannabe and Thor. There's a nice bit in Abyss where Gamora mocks a Thanosi speech to a crowd of nihilist cultists, saying that he can't be the Thanos she knows as he moved away from his nihilist wannabe phase.

Also Thanos' character development, contradictions and his interactions with Adam Warlock is what sets him apart from other villainous characters. That and the metaphysical stuff.

If someone writes Emma Frost as a homicidal maniac or Rogue as a sadistic vampire people would be calling shenanigans and rightly so.

I prefer Thanos to be smart and morally ambiguos thank you very much.

If i spent many years developing a character with a particular voice and arc in mind only to turn around and seeing that character falling into flanderisation at the hands of other careless writers, i would retcon those flanderized versions without mercy.

Thanos should have stopped being used after Gauntlet imo. I don't think he works as a mainstream villain as well as Doom. Because in order to make a multifaceted niche character mainstream you have to flanderize him and erase his more unique and compelling facets while expanding and exagerating the more standard (or banal) facets. There are reasons why they turned MCU Thanos into Space Ra's Al Ghul. Although MCU Thanos is written much better than Bendis' Thanos, or Aaron's Thanos or Hickman's Thanos.

Bottom line, if we can complain about Thor's character derailment, why can't i complain about Thanos' character derailment?
    Oh you absolutely can

And you certainly don't need my permission

I'm just highlighting that I think Starlin is very possessive of his pet character, to a fault

BANNED

Same here. But I actually did like this Issue.

IMO: Giving Thor the Power of Cosmic is not necessary. Because that tells me you think him weak that you need to boost his already high power. And it makes me think Marvel thinks him weak. I think this damages the character more because any feat he does would be met with: "Well, his powers are amped so.." But again My Opinion.

Overall, I thought the Issue read great. I'm interested. Sexy Costume as well.

Read Walt Simonson Thor.

How can you find him lame if you are a fan of Diana?
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-02-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Same here. But I actually did like this Issue.

IMO: Giving Thor the Power of Cosmic is not necessary. Because that tells me you think him weak that you need to boost his already high power. And it makes me think Marvel thinks him weak. I think this damages the character more because any feat he does would be met with: "Well, his powers are amped so.." But again My Opinion.

Overall, I thought the Issue read great. I'm interested. Sexy Costume as well.
    That’s what other people have said and I see the concern. I never cared for the character, but I’ve been aware of how strong he was and supposed to be, so seeing him be silly and weak-ish in the movies didn’t help me formulate a good image of him.

I’ll read this new run’s first few issues.

Read Walt Simonson Thor.

How can you find him lame if you are a fan of Diana?
    I dunno, lol. They’re kinda different and I think Diana’s publication history made her cooler to me.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default Just glad it got done!

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    spoilers:
    so heavily weakened Galactus can regrow Thor's arm but Odin and Thor with full Odinforce can't????
    end of spoilers
    No matter how it happened, I am just glad it was changed. This looks to be a promising story. A creative writer can probably figure out a way to explain the discrepancy, remember we put up with a Thor that wasn't worthy inspite of over 600 issues of stories that said he was, and then gave the hammer to a character that was given the choice to be an Asgardian and rejected it.....time to forget it and move on.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So, this was pretty metal- I'm into it. I loved Cates' SS: BLACK. This looks to be another wild ride, with rad art.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Please give any one of these runs on Thor a chance: Lee/Kirby (some of it is dated, but much of it still plays, plus a lot of the material in their run introduces ideas for the Marvel Universe, like FF #1-101.
    Gerry Conway/John Buscema, there is a collection of these books being solicited again in the Marvel Preview.
    Roy Thomas/Buscema/Pollard these stories hook up a lot of the ideas from the seventies and finish off some from the sixties. Issue #'s 298-301 are particularly good.
    Walt Simonson's run on the book was the stepping off point for a lot of the movie material.
    Dan Jurgens/John Romita's run is perhaps my personal favorite.
    J. M. Straczynski's Thor may be the easiest to start with, start with his first book, its a number 1 from 2008

Any way, I am sure I am leaving out a lot, but off the top of my head, these runs are entertaining reading.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

That’s what other people have said and I see the concern. I never cared for the character, but I’ve been aware of how strong he was and supposed to be, so seeing him be silly and weak-ish in the movies didn’t help me formulate a good image of him.

I dunno, lol. They’re kinda different and I think Diana’s publication history made her cooler to me.
    Every character above Captain America's power has been nerfed hard in the MCU. And i agree that Thor becoming a goofy fratboy in Ragnarok was jarring

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Please give any one of these runs on Thor a chance: Lee/Kirby (some of it is dated, but much of it still plays, plus a lot of the material in their run introduces ideas for the Marvel Universe, like FF #1-101.
    Gerry Conway/John Buscema, there is a collection of these books being solicited again in the Marvel Preview.
    Roy Thomas/Buscema/Pollard these stories hook up a lot of the ideas from the seventies and finish off some from the sixties. Issue #'s 298-301 are particularly good.
    Walt Simonson's run on the book was the stepping off point for a lot of the movie material.
    Dan Jurgens/John Romita's run is perhaps my personal favorite.
    J. M. Straczynski's Thor may be the easiest to start with, start with his first book, its a number 1 from 2008

Any way, I am sure I am leaving out a lot, but off the top of my head, these runs are entertaining reading.
    What would be a good story line to read from Dan Jurgens' run?

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Every character above Captain America's power has been nerfed hard in the MCU. And i agree that Thor becoming a goofy fratboy in Ragnarok was jarring
    I'm curious, what is the general feelings to the Thor trilogies by Thor comic fans? What is considered the ranking of Thor's films?

BANNED

I definitely understand what your saying. However, MCU Thor is a pale comparison to Comic Thor. Weakish and silly is nothing, but Hollywood’s doing. The best way to form any opinion about this character is to read Thor comics. I’m not trying to say that you don’t. I’m saying we can’t judge comic book Thor based off of the performance of MCU Thor.