Page 6 of 179 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

We need to remember, in this case Thor is going up against a Reality ending force, right?

And we have seen, even, he can not stop Ragnarok, a reality force. So it makes good sense to make him even more powerful for this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I've never been into Thor since I got into comicbooks, and I found both Aaron and the MCU Thor to be really lame. But reading all of these comments, I think I'll give this one a try.
    You should. It was good. Hopefully it stays that way.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    The last page epic reveal, the art really left me underwhelmed. Its not a great page.
    What's strange is that the Directors Cut of #1 shows the version of the page Klein did for layouts and it's better than the final result. Linked because spoilers:

https://i.imgur.com/9NNO5H2.jpg

BANNED

All right, I finally got all caught up with Thor and I'll give my thoughts.

First, I want to start with King Thor and especially the last issue, I absolutely loved it, it was epic, good character work and most of all, it had real heart behind it, if I just picked up Godbomb and King Thor, I would absolutely swear that the writer loves Thor and feels great affection for the character, I have nothing but praise to the series and especially the last issue, and that last sentence about what is the spirit of thunder gave me goosebumps and made me shed a tear. Which is exactly the reason why it baffles me that this same writer delivered one of the worst and most disrespectful eras on the same character, like two completely different people, I can only imagine the epicness and absolutely impressive run we'd have gotten if Aaron had never used Jane as a replacement and Odin as a drunken foil. But credit where its due, Aaron left the book on an extremey high note, perhaps one of the highest I've ever read.

Now, as for Thor #1 by Donny Cates, I enjoyed it a lot, the plot, art and overall writing is top notch as expected from Cates, I have enjoyed every single book he's written at Marvel and I'm sure this won't be the exception, the direction he is taking is very interesting, I don't recall if it was ever explained how Galactus' original universe actually died and this was a retcon or if this is really the first time anyone addresses the end of Galactus' original universe, either way I'm here for the ride, however I have two complaints at the moment, the first and probably inconsequential is that I don't like Thor being turned into a herald, that's just unnecessary, he could've gone and help them without that, after all he's even supposed to have the Odin Force now as he clearly implied, and the second complaint is a big one that I really hope gets corrected, it seems that Cates was serious when he said he sees Thor as a jerk, he was definitely a jerk in this issue to both his friends and strangers, and that IS NOT Thor, I want to see the royal and noble warrior we've come to known and love, not a jerk, so I certainly hope Cates stops portraying him like that, other than that, great start.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 01-03-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    We need to remember, in this case Thor is going up against a Reality ending force, right?

And we have seen, even, he can not stop Ragnarok, a reality force. So it makes good sense to make him even more powerful for this journey.
    Maybe the Black Winter is actually Hunger, the fourth wall breaking entity from Thanos first solo series.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Hunger
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-03-2020 at 03:34 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I definitely understand what your saying. However, MCU Thor is a pale comparison to Comic Thor. Weakish and silly is nothing, but Hollywood’s doing. The best way to form any opinion about this character is to read Thor comics. I’m not trying to say that you don’t. I’m saying we can’t judge comic book Thor based off of the performance of MCU Thor.
    Agree, MCU Thor feels like an Adult Swim parody at times. He acts too much like 616 Hercules and he gets knocked out by tasers too easily. A far cry from the Thor who can easily defeat and intimidate Iron Man.

I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Perhaps I missed something, but I did not read this issue as Thor coming across as a jerk (with the exception of Loki who deserves it). I read it more as he was truly feeling the weight & responsibility of being King, as well as being nervous for his speech he was to give.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I've never been into Thor since I got into comicbooks, and I found both Aaron and the MCU Thor to be really lame. But reading all of these comments, I think I'll give this one a try.
    Cates has done that with several characters for me. He is a fantastic writer! Give this book a try. Also, I have never been much into Thor either and I saw someone else mention this run, but Walt Simonson's run on the character is a very fun read!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Now, as for Thor #1 by Donny Cates, I enjoyed it a lot, the plot, art and overall writing is top notch as expected from Cates, I have enjoyed every single book he's written at Marvel and I'm sure this won't be the exception, the direction he is taking is very interesting, I don't recall if it was ever explained how Galactus' original universe actually died and this was a retcon or if this is really the first time anyone addresses the end of Galactus' original universe, either way I'm here for the ride,
    It seems like the theory I posted in the last thread was right and he was going straight back to the original Lee and Kirby origin of Galactus from Thor #169:

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    In other news, I'm pretty sure I've discovered what the Black Winter in Cates upcoming run is: The Creeping Plague from Galactus' original origin in Thor #169. It fits all the evidence so far: it's from the Lee & Kirby run but is obscure since it was retconned into just being entropy and the death of the universe in the various reprints of the origin, Silver Surfer: Black establishes the Black Winter as being from Galactus' previous universe and it would explain why all the solicitations talk about it being the end of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    It seems like the theory I posted in the last thread was right and he was going straight back to the original Lee and Kirby origin of Galactus from Thor #169:
    I think Cates went big too early. Should have waited 12 issues before having Thor go up against a eldritch abomination. Where do you go after that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I think Cates went big too early. Should have waited 12 issues before having Thor go up against a eldritch abomination. Where do you go after that?
    I agree with this 100%. Issue #1 and Thor is fully healed + has the power cosmic and is going up against Galactus and after that some even more abstract entity. The pacing is already out the window.

I dont wanna turn this into Hulk vs Thor, but i love so much more the approach Ewing did when he started off Immortal Hulk series, issue 1 started off with Hulk beating up a biker gang and in issue 13 we had him fight off the second most powerful being in all of Marvel and everything that lead up to that was perfectly thought out and paced with things escalating with each issue. Now imagine if instead of all of that built up, issue 1 of Immortal Hulk started off with Hulk fighting the Avengers and a couple of issues later fighting The One Below All, that would kill the comic IMO.

I know Cates was probably eager to start off Thors new look and everything, but i feel like we need more of a transition and breathing room. A new series just started and in the span of a single issue it went from 0 to 100.

Again i wanna see more before i give my final judgement but i think pacing will prove to be an issue with this series.

Amazing Member

Loved the new issue. Thor one shotting that monster 10 realms away, while his teammates couldn't even scratch it, was dope. Nice to see Galactus not jobbing or acting OOC (like he has done repeatedly under Cates's pen).

I have mixed feelings about Thor having the power cosmic. On one hand, there is lots of creative potential. On the other hand, I am generally not a fan of temp amps. I'd rather have Thor go back to his roots and kick ass on his own merits. I can't wait for more.

So does Thor have the Odinforce or not? It's hard to say at this point. I truly hope he doesn't tbh.

And happy new year all!

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Issue #1 and Thor is fully healed + has the power cosmic and is going up against Galactus and after that some even more abstract entity. The pacing is already out the window.

I dont wanna turn this into Hulk vs Thor, but i love so much more the approach Ewing did when he started off Immortal Hulk series, issue 1 started off with Hulk beating up a biker gang and in issue 13 we had him fight off the second most powerful being in all of Marvel and everything that lead up to that was perfectly thought out and paced with things escalating with each issue. Now imagine if instead of all of that built up, issue 1 of Immortal Hulk started off with Hulk fighting the Avengers and a couple of issues later fighting The One Below All, that would kill the comic IMO.

I know Cates was probably eager to start off Thors new look and everything, but i feel like we need more of a transition and breathing room. A new series just started and in the span of a single issue it went from 0 to 100.

Again i wanna see more before i give my final judgement but i think pacing will prove to be an issue with this series.
    I would have started with a underused Thor antagonist like the Man-Beast and building up to a team up with Adam Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Loved the new issue. Thor one shotting that monster 10 realms away, while his teammates couldn't even scratch it, was dope. Nice to see Galactus not jobbing or acting OOC (like he has done repeatedly under Cates's pen).

I have mixed feelings about Thor having the power cosmic. On one hand, there is lots of creative potential. On the other hand, I am generally not a fan of temp amps. I'd rather have Thor go back to his roots and kick ass on his own merits. I can't wait for more.

So does Thor have the Odinforce or not? It's hard to say at this point. I truly hope he doesn't tbh.

And happy new year all!
    There's always the Belt of Strenght and the magic gloves if Thor needs a temporary amp againt a OP villain, that's why i think he doesn't need the Power Cosmic.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    There's always the Belt of Strenght and the magic gloves if Thor needs a temporary amp againt a OP villain, that's why i think he doesn't need the Power Cosmic.
    Agreed. Warrior Madness too.