Page 66 of 179 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Hela was supposed to be a mixture of Gorr, Angela and Hela.
    What they did to Planet THulk was so disrespectful.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    What they did to Planet THulk was so disrespectful.
    I agree, especially Korg and Miek were pure farce compared to Greg Pak's version.

I'm not a fan of the space side of the MCU. Especially after reading Annihilation and sequels.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-17-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    That story is from Jason Aaron actually, and probaby some of the best work he did with the character.
    The transition between the end of God Butcher and the era of Jobber Thor and the Unstoppable Jane is so jarring that i forget Aaron used to be good.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The transition between the end of God Butcher and the era of Jobber Thor and the Unstoppable Jane is so jarring that i forget Aaron used to be good.
    It was mystifying honestly. He started out really well.

Then Jane showed up.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    It was mystifying honestly. He started out really well.

Then Jane showed up.
    I think the real death knell was the bloody whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And a debatable whisper at that.

Ultimate Member

And a debatable whisper at that.
    Debatable how?

In any other context, Fury's statement would be seen as racist. The fact that he's referring to a fictional people, not acting as a metaphor for any real world parable, is the only reason it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Debatable how?

In any other context, Fury's statement would be seen as racist. The fact that he's referring to a fictional people, not acting as a metaphor for any real world parable, is the only reason it's not.
    I meant that Gorr's idea that all gods are jerks can be invalidated by the heroic deeds of Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jason Aaron's portrayal of Thor from that moment forward was contemptible. Literally....no creativity involved here. Not an ounce. Just, "Gorr was right."

I mean, imagine how stupid every villain that has ever faced Thor, felt....when they discovered, "geez, all I had to do is tell him he's not worthy...."

O O
    <
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

I meant that Gorr's idea that all gods are jerks can be invalidated by the heroic deeds of Thor.
    ^^^

This. Evidently, Aaron is an atheist. Buuuttt....grew up in the south, where religion is like...alive and well...one wonders, did Thor become his outlet of spite for spiritual things?

I mean, don't misunderstand. Believe in God, don't believe. Doesn't matter to me personally. But...why be that petty? His contempt for the character became so obvious.

It's funny to think, he became as petty as the gods he said were....petty.
    ----------------------

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    ^^^

This. Evidently, Aaron is an atheist. Buuuttt....grew up in the south, where religion is like...alive and well...one wonders, did Thor become his outlet of spite for spiritual things?

I mean, don't misunderstand. Believe in God, don't believe. Doesn't matter to me personally. But...why be that petty? His contempt for the character became so obvious.

It's funny to think, he became as petty as the gods he said were....petty.
    I don't wonder about it at all.

The whisper aside, Aaron's past Thor was always acting out the atheist argument of 'virtue signalling' (for lack of a better term). That people who are religious do not do good deeds because they are good/want to do good, but simply because they want the promised afterlife for doing such good deeds.

Young Thor was always complaining why this or that heroic deed wasn't enough to allow him to lift the hammer that he was obsessed with, as he struggled to lift the hammer itself.

It's kinda ironic when you think about it, in a larger scope. Many atheists are rightfully offended by the Hollywood Atheist stereotypes (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...llywoodAtheist) that assumes disbelief is caused by trauma and cynicism.

Yet Aaron is/was unable to write Thor as a hero who does the right thing, because it is the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't wonder about it at all.

The whisper aside, Aaron's past Thor was always acting out the atheist argument of 'virtue signalling' (for lack of a better term). That people who are religious do not do good deeds because they are good/want to do good, but simply because they want the promised afterlife for doing such good deeds.

Young Thor was always complaining why this or that heroic deed wasn't enough to allow him to lift the hammer that he was obsessed with, as he struggled to lift the hammer itself.

It's kinda ironic when you think about it, in a larger scope. Many atheists are rightfully offended by the Hollywood Atheist stereotypes (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...llywoodAtheist) that assumes disbelief is caused by trauma and cynicism.

Yet Aaron is/was unable to write Thor as a hero who does the right thing, because it is the right thing
    Basically a reverse Pureflix movie.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

As a passive reader the constant bitching in this corner is really... fanboyish and cliched.
    If you want great Aaron read Scalped.

My question is... who wrote the best Thor? Aaron, Straczynski (?), Simonson or Gillen?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    As a passive reader the constant bitching in this corner is really... fanboyish and cliched.
    If you want great Aaron read Scalped.

My question is... who wrote the best Thor? Aaron, Straczynski (?), Simonson or Gillen?
    Dude, 90% of us are trapped inside. I think our fanboyism is actually restrained

BANNED

strazinski's probably the best modern thor

simonsons best of the classic