Page 67 of 179 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2680
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Dude, 90% of us are trapped inside. I think our fanboyism is actually restrained
    #metoo

(Trapped inside)
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-18-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    As a passive reader the constant bitching in this corner is really... fanboyish and cliched.
    If you want great Aaron read Scalped.

My question is... who wrote the best Thor? Aaron, Straczynski (?), Simonson or Gillen?
    What a lousy thing to say.

So...as a passive reader, did you come to set us right on the path to being balanced fans? Or just here to stir the pot?

You want maniacal fanboys? Dont look here. I'm pretty sure no one here looks up the writers on Twitter and trolls them because they didnt write their character the right way (as an example).
    Last edited by Cronus; 04-18-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

As a passive reader the constant bitching in this corner is really... fanboyish and cliched.

My question is... who wrote the best Thor? Aaron, Straczynski (?), Simonson or Gillen?
    Stan Lee, Simonson and Defalco best classic Thor.

Straczinsky best modern Thor.

Also you would be grumpy too if your favorite hero is reduced to a parody of himself for 6 slow years.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-18-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Dan Jurgens

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Stan Lee, Simonson and Defalco best classic Thor.

Straczinsky best modern Thor.

Also you would be grumpy too if your favorite hero is reduced to a parody of himself for 6 slow years.

I think what made it a wee bit vexing than usual is that it almost felt that Aaron made a conscious decision to write Thor and Odin as selfish, and Odin as cowardly and incompetent. (Thor wasn’t written as very competent..but Odin was practically written as a near idiot.)

It wasn’t that Aaron lacks talent...it appeared he just wasn’t interested in respecting existing characterisation.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-18-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I think what made it a wee bit vexing than usual is that it almost felt that Aaron made a conscious decision to write Thor and Odin as selfish, and Odin as cowardly and incompetent. (Thor wasn’t written as very competent..but Odin was practically written as a near idiot.)

It wasn’t that Aaron lacks talent...it appeared he just wasn’t interested in respecting existing characterisation.
    Maybe its his take on Mythology and Religion. I ordered the Thor by Aaron tpb because I'm so curious. How you can you write Scalped and fail so miserable with Thor? Why did he want the job in the first place. I'd hand Batman to Aaron and fire King in a heartbeat if it were for me to decide stuff like that.

Thanks everyone for responding and stay healthy, guys

Maybe its his take on Mythology and Religion. I ordered the Thor by Aaron tpb because I'm so curious. How you can you write Scalped and fail so miserable with Thor? Why did he want the job in the first place. I'd hand Batman to Aaron and fire King in a heartbeat if it were for me to decide stuff like that.

Thanks everyone for responding and stay healthy, guys
    Because you’re coming to it “fresh” without any investment in the existing characters you may well end up really enjoying the run. Obviously I hope you do.

I read about 40 issues, and enjoyed the start of the run a lot.

But as run progressed there was just too many times when I felt the actions of the key characters were just inconsistent with what I believed their personalities should be, based on my previous reading.

For me, ignoring existing characterisation was ultimately too irritating. So I stopped reading and moved onto other stuff that I enjoyed more.

Maybe he took the run for two main reasons. One it’s a well paid job. Second it gave him an opportunity to put forward his take on gods...which seems to be they are not something to be admired.

(And personally I don’t think the run “failed”. A lot of people liked it, it ran for many issues, and sold reasonably well. But it is divisive..a lot of people don’t like it.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-18-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Because you’re coming to it “fresh” without any investment in the existing characters you may well end up really enjoying the run. Obviously I hope you do.

I read about 40 issues, and enjoyed the start of the run a lot.

But as run progressed there was just too many times when I felt the actions of the key characters were just inconsistent with what I believed their personalities should be, based on my previous reading.

For me, ignoring existing characterisation was ultimately too irritating. So I stopped reading and moved onto other stuff that I enjoyed more.

Maybe he took the run for two main reasons. One it’s a well paid job. Second it gave him an opportunity to put forward his take on gods...which seems to be they are not something to be admired.

(And personally I don’t think the run “failed”. A lot of people liked it, it ran for many issues, and sold reasonably well. But it is divisive..a lot of people don’t like it.)
    I get the part of Thor being a jerk (Batman has been written that way for a long time) not going over well with Thor fans but I also NEED to prepare for Thor 4 (Jane-Thor, Christian Bale as a villain). Now, that I think of it... Aaron would be a good fit for Suicide Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Dan Jurgens
    Just skip the part with the clone of Thanos and Mangog.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

1. Simonson
    2. Dan Jurgens
    3. Straczynski
    4. Gillen
    5. Fraction
    6. Aaron

I get the part of Thor being a jerk (Batman has been written that way for a long time) not going over well with Thor fans but I also NEED to prepare for Thor 4 (Jane-Thor, Christian Bale as a villain). Now, that I think of it... Aaron would be a good fit for Suicide Squad
    I heard Tom King Is co-writing the New Gods movie. Which doesn't feel me with good hype given his thoughts on Orion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I heard Tom King Is co-writing the New Gods movie. Which doesn't feel me with good hype given his thoughts on Orion.
    Yeah, I remember that Mini. Still hope for a good casting of Big Barda and Mr Miracle and maybe it will improve upon the comic

My three favorites listed chronologically:

1960's - Stan Lee/Jack Kirby

1980's - Walt Simonson

1990's - Kurt Busiek/George Perez
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-19-2020 at 03:14 AM.

Yeah, I remember that Mini. Still hope for a good casting of Big Barda and Mr Miracle and maybe it will improve upon the comic
    I was referring to this quote from King about the character Orion.

Orion is always written as this gruff, “Augh, I’m suffering!” kind of guy. He’s like the Wolverine of the New Gods, right? He’s like, “Oh, the world is so terrible, I’m the son of Darkseid, I’m destined to kill him, blah blah blah.” But, dude! He was raised in Heaven.
    He’s like the bully who’s actually just the rich kid who grew up in a mansion. He’s like, “Oh, you don’t understand me!” Dude, you grew up on the upper west side, what are you talking about?! Whereas Scott has been through the ****, you know? He knows what’s up. So this idea that Orion would come to him and be like, “You don’t know how to deal with pain!” Scott’s thinking in that moment, “Dude, you’ve never even experienced pain. You’ve experienced angst. You’ve experienced the theory of pain, but you don’t know what it’s like to have Granny Goodness as the only person you love.”
    It doesn't bode well for a future movie version of Orion, my favorite character of the New Gods and he struggles to keep his violent impulses in check.

Orion was shown to have grown up in constant abuse before meeting Highfather in Jack Kirby's most acclaimed story ever! Didn't King read it?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My three favorites listed chronologically:

1960's - Stan Lee/Jack Kirby

1980's - Walt Simonson

1990's - Kurt Busiek/George Perez
    The first panel is why it's annoying when Thor is written completely clueless about Earth's technology and society.