Page 69 of 179 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2680
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    'Dat Coiple Thor .
    I wasn't a big fan of Copiel's art. Thor's face looks like a Neanderthal.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's the run (JMS) that made me a fan.

Was never a Avengers guy back in the day. I was a fan of the X and FF but (to me) the Avengers always felt like a B-team Justice League who (mostly) couldn't carry solo books. Then Iron Man hit theaters, and I dug that, and Fraction's run was made for people like me. Heard about them making a Thor film, and wanted to get into that before the movie hit. Finding the classic runs wasn't much of an option at the time, and I tried a lot of random crap that left me wondering how Thor stayed in publication until I got to JMS. And with that I was like "Ah, got it!" Been a fan ever since. And Coiple Thor is still how I envision the character (but in my head I add a beard).

And I finally managed to get the Simonson stuff last year. And that.....hot damn, that! is worthy of its reputation.
    The one thing i like the most about the MCU is that it made people understand that Marvel's world Is more than just Spider-Man and X-Men.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

'Dat Coiple Thor .
    He gave Thor a much more serious tone. Absolutely loved his interpretation.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    He gave Thor a much more serious tone. Absolutely loved his interpretation.
    I miss when Thor could be wise and altruistic instead of being a foul mouthed redneck obsessed with hammers.

And then Aaron fans on Reddit say i'm just whining about Thor jobbing while ignoring my complaints about modern Thor's characterisation. And they even told me that Thor in norse mythology has Always been a boastful bully. Ignoring that first, Thor and other Marvel heroes quickly overcame their problems in a few issues instead of wallowing in them for 5 years. Second, Lee and Kirby already adressed the arrogance of Young Thor. And Third, Marvel Thor was never going to be a carbon copy of the original Thor from the norse myths, it was a re-imagining of Thor as a modern day hero with the noble qualities of a caped superhero. The forgotten anti-hero Red Norvell was essentially what if they tried to stick as close to Norse Thor as possible.

Panic was right. They don't care much about Thor, they care more about Jane.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-21-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Ditto! You'll get no argument from me, that's for sure.

Agree about there being a plethora of great runs during the 80's, but don't forget...

Michelinie/Layton's Iron Man

Frank Miller's Daredevil

Roger Stern's Spider-Man
    Oh yeah, i forgot about those. I loved the two part story with Spider-Man trying to stop Juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    On the subject of writing, how are you all here feeling about Donny Cate’s writing for Thor so far?

The voice he gave Thor was surprisingly good but i think he doesn't know how the Odinforce works and giving him Power Cosmic is unnecessary since he already has the Odinforce. Of course the wait for the next issues Is killing me.

The only issue I have with it, is by making Thor smack around Galactus, it's basically doing to Galactus what has been done to Thor for the past few years. As much as I love Thor, Galactus is beyond him, beyond Odin, and even juiced up Odin-Thor. This has been going on in Thor books for a while now. The Galactus Seed thing, the old King Thor thing, now this as well. Thor and Galactus are not rivals. It's not this particular writer's fault, Marvel has allowed Galactus to be jobbed out a lot in recent years. He's been severely diminished. This very well may be a case of what I feel Galactus should be vs what Marvel is saying he is, I don't know, but Galactus was/ has been established as one of the pre-eminent cosmic beings in the MU. Remember when it took the entire Avengers and Fantastic Four just to knock over a severely weakened Galactus? Those days are long gone. Sorry for the ramble, what am I saying exactly? I guess what I'm saying is, I don't need Thor to be the most super-badass-powerful guy to be the character I love. He's our favourite storm god hero, but in the cosmic scheme of things in the MU, he's just the local sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The only issue I have with it, is by making Thor smack around Galactus, it's basically doing to Galactus what has been done to Thor for the past few years. As much as I love Thor, Galactus is beyond him, beyond Odin, and even juiced up Odin-Thor. This has been going on in Thor books for a while now. The Galactus Seed thing, the old King Thor thing, now this as well. Thor and Galactus are not rivals. It's not this particular writer's fault, Marvel has allowed Galactus to be jobbed out a lot in recent years. He's been severely diminished. This very well may be a case of what I feel Galactus should be vs what Marvel is saying he is, I don't know, but Galactus was/ has been established as one of the pre-eminent cosmic beings in the MU. Remember when it took the entire Avengers and Fantastic Four just to knock over a severely weakened Galactus? Those days are long gone. Sorry for the ramble, what am I saying exactly? I guess what I'm saying is, I don't need Thor to be the most super-badass-powerful guy to be the character I love. He's our favourite storm god hero, but in the cosmic scheme of things in the MU, he's just the local sheriff.
    The problem is they keep using big name characters instead of the more underused but powerful Thor antagonists like the Enchanters Three, Mangog, Fenris, Man-Beast, Fafnir, Durok.

On the subject of writing, how are you all here feeling about Donny Cate’s writing for Thor so far?
    I think I'm an issue or two behind now, hard to tell with the quarantine, but so far I've enjoyed what Cates has been doing.

You guys will hate the comparison but Cates' run feels a bit similar to Aaron's God Butcher-God Bomb (before Jane came in and stuff got weird). There's a lot of big cosmic stuff going on with some really cool concepts and a strong pulp sensibility that I'm a big fan of. I think Cates' Thor feels like a extension of where Aaron left things, but free from Aaron's questionable choices, and I can appreciate the journey Aaron put Thor through (at least in an abstract kinda way), as long as it doesn't rule and define the character going forward. Cates seems like he's putting things back in order without ignoring the recent history, which is how I usually prefer creators to handle things.

The whole thing with punching Galactus....yeah, that's just jobbing one guy for Thor's benefit and no better than jobbing Thor for Jane's benefit. But Galactus is the metric we measure cosmic strength by, and there's enough situational circumstance here for me to let it slide. It's not like this is going to be a regular thing and it's just nice to see Thor being a straight up badass again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The one thing i like the most about the MCU is that it made people understand that Marvel's world Is more than just Spider-Man and X-Men.
    Can't argue with that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I miss when Thor could be wise and altruistic instead of being a foul mouthed redneck obsessed with hammers.

And then Aaron fans on Reddit say i'm just whining about Thor jobbing while ignoring my complaints about modern Thor's characterisation.
    Of course. Because they're fans of Aaron and not Thor. Doesn't really make for an objective conversation does it?

And they even told me that Thor in norse mythology has Always been a boastful bully. Ignoring that first, Thor and other Marvel heroes quickly overcame their problems in a few issues instead of wallowing in them for 5 years.
    Right? I don't see that same criticism extended to other Marvel writers (of Thor) like Lee and Simonson.

Second, Lee and Kirby already adressed the arrogance of Young Thor.
    This is the thing that gets me; why do some writer's continue to play up this (non-existent) aspect of Thor's personality? The guy has demonstrated on numerous occasions his humility and love for earth...and (usually) balanced that with his love for Odin and Asgard. How many times has he put himself at odds with Odin to look after the interests of Midgard. If that isn't humility, I don't know what is.

And Third, Marvel Thor was never going to be a carbon copy of the original Thor from the norse myths, it was a re-imagining of Thor as a modern day hero with the noble qualities of a caped superhero. The forgotten anti-hero Red Norvell was essentially what if they tried to stick as close to Norse Thor as possible.
    Y'know, there are certain websites I don't frequent as much anymore because the...climate....is an entirely different one than found here. Folks here are fairly reasonable (save maybe me!) and pretty civil. The moderators are truly...top shelf. I just haven't found that anywhere else other than CBR.

Panic was right. They don't care much about Thor, they care more about Jane.
    I feel like Jane is more about feminism than anything to do with Thor. The irony is that fans of Aaron have turned it into exactly that. If you like Jane, your down. If you don't, you're a misogynist. I'm kinda done with all that. It's ridiculous at this point.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

I feel like Jane is more about feminism than anything to do with Thor. The irony is that fans of Aaron have turned it into exactly that. If you like Jane, your down. If you don't, you're a misogynist. I'm kinda done with all that. It's ridiculous at this point.
    I think that the biggest problem is that Jane Thor is that it overlaps with a valid complaint that I'm amazed that Marvel still hasn't addressed, in that there are virtually no high profile super strong, powerful women in Marvel comics.

I mean, hell, its an easy thing to solve. But for whatever reason, Marvel just doesn't.

Thus, IMO, people cling to Jane Thor, even though 1) Her power is Thor's and has been for thousands of years and 2) As a replacement, she has a limited lifespan.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

If we’re allowed to touch on that topic for just one moment here, I will say that Jason Aaron’s approach to feminism and Jane could be considered to be a classic case of a good intention that went in the wrong direction. Feminism and equality are good intentions, but when you use concepts like “girl power pass” and that women can only be good characters by having big strong muscles and having high power levels, then you’re probably just going to end up flopping on your face. It’s a similar problem Aaron seems to be have with She-Hulk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think that the biggest problem is that Jane Thor is that it overlaps with a valid complaint that I'm amazed that Marvel still hasn't addressed, in that there are virtually no high profile super strong, powerful women in Marvel comics.
    There are some powerful women in the Marvel Universe though, although maybe not Thor-level or Wonder Woman-level powerful, but they seem to be trying to make Carol into that.

Ultimate Member

There are some powerful women in the Marvel Universe though, although maybe not Thor-level or Wonder Woman-level powerful, but they seem to be trying to make Carol into that.
    There is all of one super tough woman, America Chavez, in Marvel comics, who does not owe her origin to a male counterpart.

There are plenty of powerful women yes, but that's mostly energy protectors and such (Sue Storm).

Ultimate Member

If we’re allowed to touch on that topic for just one moment here, I will say that Jason Aaron’s approach to feminism and Jane could be considered to be a classic case of a good intention that went in the wrong direction. Feminism and equality are good intentions, but when you use concepts like “girl power pass” and that women can only be good characters by having big strong muscles and having high power levels, then you’re probably just going to end up flopping on your face. It’s a similar problem Aaron seems to be have with She-Hulk as well.
    The problem with Aaron's take on feminism with Jane is he defined superiority as equality. Jane had to be better to be 'equal', thus she uses the hammer better, shows the Gods how it's done, etc.

It's a more subtle take on the 70s view of male writers back in the day. Hence why we had Thundera always picking fights with male characters.