Page 70 of 179 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think that the biggest problem is that Jane Thor is that it overlaps with a valid complaint that I'm amazed that Marvel still hasn't addressed, in that there are virtually no high profile super strong, powerful women in Marvel comics.

I mean, hell, its an easy thing to solve. But for whatever reason, Marvel just doesn't.

Thus, IMO, people cling to Jane Thor, even though 1) Her power is Thor's and has been for thousands of years and 2) As a replacement, she has a limited lifespan.
    Well, there was Binary (Carol's most powerful form), the Scarlet Witch, Jean Gray as the Phoenix. I mean, some pretty serious fire power. Brie Larsen's Captain Marvel was seen as pretty darn powerful and likely a better candidate to go one on with Thanos than even Thor. Oddly, Captain Marvel was a commercial success for Marvel...but I can't help but feel maybe Brie Larsen wasn't Gal Gadot (did I say that out loud?), maybe just not the strong personality they felt they could pin a flag on?
    Last edited by Cronus; 04-21-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    If we’re allowed to touch on that topic for just one moment here, I will say that Jason Aaron’s approach to feminism and Jane could be considered to be a classic case of a good intention that went in the wrong direction. Feminism and equality are good intentions, but when you use concepts like “girl power pass” and that women can only be good characters by having big strong muscles and having high power levels, then you’re probably just going to end up flopping on your face. It’s a similar problem Aaron seems to be have with She-Hulk as well.
    I don't have a problem with women in comic books with astronomical power levels and if that is what Marvel is looking for, more power to them. But you touch on a key component I think, quality before quantity? If Marvel could just focus on what makes the character so special and appealing, then worry about levels of power, I think they'd be just fine. Clearly, Marvel just seems to want to push, "our most powerful hero is a woman!", instead of, "our most compelling character just so happens to be our most powerful. Oh, and a woman as well". Marvel must be jealously eyeing Wonder Woman, and I wouldn't blame them if they were because DC got that one right.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Well, there was Binary (Carol's most powerful form), the Scarlet Witch, Jean Gray as the Phoenix. I mean, some pretty serious fire power. Brie Larsen's Captain Marvel was seen as pretty darn powerful and likely a better candidate to go one on with Thanos than even Thor. Oddly, Captain Marvel was a commercial success for Marvel...but I can't help but feel maybe Brie Larsen wasn't Gal Gadot (did I say that out loud?), maybe just not the strong personality they felt they could pin a flag on?
    Lol. That just showed how nerfed MCU Thanos is and how shitted on Thor was.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Minus Carol, who owes her name/powers to a male character, both those characters are physically weak

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Lol. That just showed how nerfed MCU Thanos is and how shitted on Thor was.
    Nerfed how, exactly? Thanos whupped the hell out of most everyone but Carol. And not making Thor the strongest character hardly dumps on him.

Frankly, the second most powerful Avenger/character suits him. Like Wonder Woman, it allows him to demonstrate his skill instead of just smashing

Minus Carol, who owes her name/powers to a male character, both those characters are physically weak

Nerfed how, exactly? Thanos whupped the hell out of most everyone but Carol. And not making Thor the strongest character hardly dumps on him.

Frankly, the second most powerful Avenger/character suits him. Like Wonder Woman, it allows him to demonstrate his skill instead of just smashing
    Comic Thanos would stomp Carol. And the MCU gives the impression that Thanos doesn't have any powers without the gems.

I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Ultimate Member

Comic Thanos would stomp Carol. And the MCU gives the impression that Thanos doesn't have any powers without the gems.

So what if he doesn't have any powers? He outfought the freakin' Hulk.

Movies and comics be different, and can be better for it.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Carol's (and likewise Scarlet Witch) powers come directly from Infinity Stones, so it makes sense why she's top-tier powerful.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Carol's (and likewise Scarlet Witch) powers come directly from Infinity Stones, so it makes sense why she's top-tier powerful.
    Exactly. They're directly channeling one force of the universe via their willpower.

he is basically big, purple hulk.

Thor isn't even a deity.

I personally don't follow MCU anymore.

the Infinity arc is over so it's over for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    he is basically big, purple hulk.

Thor isn't even a deity.

I personally don't follow MCU anymore.

the Infinity arc is over so it's over for me too.
    I thought they went back and forth with the ''we are not gods but actually we are'' thing.

So what if he doesn't have any powers? He outfought the freakin' Hulk.

Movies and comics be different, and can be better for it.
    Because to most people the MCU Is the definitive version of the characters.

I thought they went back and forth with the ''we are not gods but actually we are'' thing.
    you mean they turned it into a joke.

there is more to a God then just being called that way.

Ultimate Member

Because to most people the MCU Is the definitive version of the characters.
    So what? The comics will outlast the movies by years, decades even.

So what? The comics will outlast the movies by years, decades even.
    I think the western comic industry Will die and be completely replaced by manga in a decade or two.

BANNED

I think the western comic industry Will die and be completely replaced by manga in a decade or two.
    I highly doubt that, comic books have been around for decades and its characters are now more popular than ever, they are not going anywhere.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 04-22-2020 at 07:13 PM.