Page 8 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Mmm, yeah. My concern is Thor IS the new all father. I'm under the assumption that means he has inherited the Odin force? On the other hand, old issues of Thor indicate when Thor previously inherited the Odin force, there was a learning curve before learning to use it really effectively.
    I'm not a Thor Expert and I don't know ALL THINGS of Thor. But I do have some knowledge of this Character. And...

IMO to me anything Thor does in this Arc will be the result of the Power of Cosmic. Not by his OWN power and that sucks. Also, do we know that he has the Odin Force??? I don't see it stated unless I missed an issue.

ALL IN ALL I will say this will be interesting.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 01-03-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty silly. Everybody ignores the existence of the Belt of Strenght, or that base Thor is supposed to have Superman-like strenght.
    Yeah, Marvel has been de-powering Thor for some time now.

I would be surprised if he doesn't get pwned in a pathetic manner by Aaron's waifu.
    It would be a standard Aaron move.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Same here. But I actually did like this Issue.

IMO: Giving Thor the Power of Cosmic is not necessary.
    True. His own power, in the past at least, has been shown to be greater than the Power Cosmic.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I read it as stand alone comics, so I am sorry I don't know the titles of the trade paperbacks, I think one of them is simply called Thor vs Thanos. I read another poster here said they didn't like this portrayal of Thanos, but I thought it fit with Jim Starlin's vision of the character. That story collects Thor (1998) #18-25 and Annual 2000.

Anyway, I would read the first 12 issues, it will say something like: Thor(1998) #1-12. There is a Thor Annual 1999 that has a great Dr. Doom story.

I hope you enjoy them.
    Not really, Thanos forsook nihilism and mystical macguffins after Gauntlet. Dan Jurgens used a streamlined version of the Thanos from the 1970's.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I'm talking about before all of that garbage. All of Marvel ignored his power levels and his abilities for the last decade. It's almost like they lacked the talent to write powerful characters.
    Most modern comic writers are more interested in writing grounded and gritty human stories than writing about fantasy characters with over the top abilities.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I liked the first issue. Anything better than Aaron writing it. Cosmic Thor should only be for this arc hopefully. Thor can finally get in a fight now and win. Glad that hideous arm is gone. He looks more like a Thor now minus the cosmic glowing. Maybe it’s time for a rematch with the Immortal Hulk.

Most modern comic writers are more interested in writing grounded and gritty human stories than writing about fantasy characters with over the top abilities.
    Then they shouldn't be writing a books staring those fantasy characters.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default There are writers out there, getting it done....maybe not at Marvel...

There's a bunch of writers at DC right now that are doing a good job with fantasy characters with over the top abilities. Dan Abnett's Justice League Odyssey has been very tightly written, James Tynion's Justice League Dark has also been a good read for me. One book incorporates Sci-fi & Super heroes and the other the magical/horror/fantasy & Super heroes.

This is what draws me to Thor. Lee and Kirby were very successful at pulling on those strings, in fact most of the standout Thor writers understood this. That's why it pains me when I don't like the creative team on the book. But I stuck with it, looking for the good stuff amid the stuff that really didn't work for me.

Different Topic:

Your knowledge of Thanos is admirable. I just don't have that big a problem with how he's portrayed by Jurgens. At the very least it wasn't a portrayal that was inconsistent with what came before. What I mean is that if you read the first big Thanos arc that ended with Avengers Annual 7 and Marvel Two in One Annual 2 and then skipped to the Thor vs Thanos trade, you wouldn't be confused. The characters behave consistently with how they were established.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Ultimate Member

Not really, Thanos forsook nihilism and mystical macguffins after Gauntlet. Dan Jurgens used a streamlined version of the Thanos from the 1970's.
    Man, kill half the universe and people think you're a bad guy!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Man, kill half the universe and people think you're a bad guy!
    Man, fail to capture a character's voice and continuity and fans think it needs fixing!

Doesn't help that Marvel Cosmic characters tend to have a more self-contained and consistant continuity compared to earth characters, mostly because only a few writers worked on them in the first place and editors don't care about them.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-03-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Do you think it's possible that writers have an aversion toward the character Thor? I've long felt that way about Thor, particularly the way Busiek wrote Thor losing to Superman.

And I mean that with no disrespect to Mr Busiek.

But a flat knock out? Wow.

I feel if that fight had ended more evenly, like some of the old Thor/Hulk fights, we'd all probably be anticipating JLA/Avengers #5 or some such. In fact, isnt how that fight ended the reason Jim Shooter didnt agree to the proposed script originally pitched by DC?
    Still not as bad as Thor losing to Wonder Woman in Death Battle.

Ultimate Member

Man, fail to capture a character's voice and continuity and fans think it needs fixing!

Doesn't help that Marvel Cosmic characters tend to have a more self-contained and consistant continuity compared to earth characters, mostly because only a few writers worked on them in the first place and editors don't care about them.
    Thanos has been protected by a writer who writes him as a Mary Sue, to the point that he had Thanos lecture Galactus about morality.

Screw that.

Starlin created a villain. He ought to let him be a damn villain.

Thanos has been protected by a writer who writes him as a Mary Sue, to the point that he had Thanos lecture Galactus about morality.

Screw that.

Starlin created a villain. He ought to let him be a damn villain.
    So you want a generic cosmic potentate similar to Kanja-ro and Mongul with none of the complexity and philosophical elements?

Thanos would have been a footnote in Marvel Comics if Starlin didn't evolve the character beyond his Cosmic Cube phase from the 1970's. And i wouldn't have been hooked by Marvel's cosmic heroes and entities if it wasn't for Starlin's work. Kinda like how Deadpool would have been forgotten if Joe Kelly didn't make him a wacky character

I do agree that lecturing Galactus was a bit too much though.

Don't read Starlin stories if they aren't your cup of tea instead of telling me that Thanos should get a flanderisation/simplification treatment. Sometines a niche character/series should stay niche instead of being dumbed down to appease a larger audience and losing the elements that made it compelling to its original fanbase.

Ultimate Member

So you want a generic cosmic potentate similar to Kanja-ro and Mongul with none of the complexity and philosophical elements?

Thanos would have been a footnote in Marvel Comics if Starlin didn't evolve the character beyond his Cosmic Cube phase from the 1970's. And i wouldn't have been hooked by Marvel's cosmic heroes and entities if it wasn't for Starlin's work. Kinda like how Deadpool would have been forgotten if Joe Kelly didn't make him a wacky character

I do agree that lecturing Galactus was a bit too much though.

Don't read Starlin stories if they aren't your cup of tea instead of telling me that Thanos should get a flanderisation/simplification treatment. Sometines a niche character/series should stay niche instead of being dumbed down to appease a larger audience and losing the elements that made it compelling to its original fanbase.
    If your writing requires you to denigrate another character to make yours look better, your story needs work.

Isn't that the complaint with regards to Jane Thor?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Cates just confirmed on his Twitter he intends for his run to he “long”. Excited for this.

If your writing requires you to denigrate another character to make yours look better, your story needs work.

Isn't that the complaint with regards to Jane Thor?
    I've never got the impression of Starlin denigrating other characters to make Thanos and Adam Warlock superior. He sees them as semi-abstract beings who can casually have a chat with Eternity, of course they are gonna be more powerful and more suited to fight against metaphysical threats than Earth's heroes (with the exception of Doctor Strange and Thor). He doesn't hate superheroes like Garth Ennis or Frank Miller. He just likes gray characters more than clear cut heroes and villains.

Heck i might say he even wrote Thor more respectfully than Aaron in the Infinity Finale ogn, being the last one standing alongside Thanks against the onslaught of Annihilus, while Aaron would have probably have Thor being the first to fall like a chump.

With that said, i think it's a shame that Warlock barely appears outside of Starlin's stories. I like what DnA did with him, except for Kid Magus, that was dumb.