Page 88 of 179 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2680

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Remember when Odin could take control of the hammer any time he wanted? Like when it stopped it with one hand when Bill threw it at him?
    Dude, that's epic:

BANNED

Back in the days when Mjolnir was a beloved weapon made by Odin with the help of Nidavellir and the dwarves as a favor and token of appreciation for Asgard, then given to Thor as a gift, and not a weapon that Odin forced the dwarves to make and threatened to raze their "useless realm" if they didn't make it, a weapon he hates, fears and screams at it, calling it a "wrenched mallet" all the time and throwing temper tantrums at it.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 05-14-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Yup. And these are the types of disparities that need to go away.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    use understandable words xd

however, the woman already lifted it to begin with.

the entirety of Mjolnir absolutely makes no sense since they put some sentient Mother Storm bullcrap in it.
    LOL! Sorry, I'm multitasking with some of my partners who speak in high "whatheheckdoesthatmean?gimmeadictionarystat!"-ese.

Yes, she lifted it, as did Beta Ray Bill before the text revealed itself. It's not instructive or prescriptive, meaning you don't have to read the instructions on how to operate the thing before you pick it up. Someone who picked it up that was blind or who was illiterate would have a problem if that was the case. And the magical transfer can occur simultaneously with the act of holding the hammer.

I agree with you that they absolutely made the transition more elaborate than it had to be. Mjolnir is a mystical item. Such things don't need to be explained down to the quantum level. Leave it a mystery.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-14-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Remember when Odin could take control of the hammer any time he wanted? Like when it stopped it with one hand when Bill threw it at him?
    Like Daddy buying you a car, but holding onto the pink slip and original key fob in case you try to do something he doesn't like. Oh how Odin lorded over his son in the past. I guess being your own man (or woman) was never a criteria for worthiness.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Back in the days when Mjolnir was a beloved weapon made by Odin with the help of Nidavellir and the dwarves as a favor and token of appreciation for Asgard, then given to Thor as a gift, and not a weapon that Odin forced the dwarves to make and threatened to raze their "useless realm" if they didn't make it, a weapon he hates, fears and screams at it, calling it a "wrenched mallet" all the time and throwing temper tantrums at it.
    Why Aaron turned Odin into a pathetic redneck villain though?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    LOL! Sorry, I'm multitasking with some of my partners who speak in high "whatheheckdoesthatmean?gimmeadictionarystat!"-ese.

Yes, she lifted it, as did Beta Ray Bill before the text revealed itself. It's not instructive or prescriptive, meaning you don't have to read the instructions on how to operate the thing before you pick it up. Someone who picked it up that was blind or who was illiterate would have a problem if that was the case. And the magical transfer can occur simultaneously with the act of holding the hammer.

I agree with you that they absolutely made the transition more elaborate than it had to be. Mjolnir is a mystical item. Such things don't need to be explained down to the quantum level. Leave it a mystery.
    sure but my point is, inscription shouldn't change IMO.

I wonder if MCU will do the same thing.

Why Aaron turned Odin into a pathetic redneck villain though?
    Fraction started it.

BANNED

Thor is going to be up against Hulk in the battle royale on Twitter, expect a flame war.

I'm sure the scan of Immortal Hulk cracking Thor's skull will be brought up by Hulk fans, but that's one of the most inconsistent fights they've ever had, every single Avenger performed better against Hulk than Thor himself did (even though he is the most powerful alongside this new version of She Hulk), Black Panther and Steve did better against Hulk for god's sake, everyone did.

As I mentioned earlier, as much as I love most of the work Ewing has done (the man is a genius) he simply does not understand and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even like Thor, the way he's treated him in the past tells you a lot, he had Luke Cage shrug off a swing from Jarnbjorn, he had White Tiger (a street level tier) overwhelm Thor, he had Falcon say Thor is too slow, and he had Odin defend himself with machine guns. Al Ewing simply doesn't know how to use Thor or asgardian characters, and his Thor vs Hulk fight is the most inconsistent and lackluster fight they've had in over 60 years.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 05-14-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Like Daddy buying you a car, but holding onto the pink slip and original key fob in case you try to do something he doesn't like. Oh how Odin lorded over his son in the past. I guess being your own man (or woman) was never a criteria for worthiness.
    Touche' sir, touche'!
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Thor is going to be up against Hulk in the battle royale on Twitter, expect a flame war.
    Oh yeah. And then some. I've had many discussions of a volatile nature with Hulk fans on this topic (not here).

I'm sure the scan of Immortal Hulk cracking Thor's skull will be brought up by Hulk fans, but that's one of the most inconsistent fights they've ever had, every single Avenger performed better against Hulk than Thor himself did (even though he is the most powerful alongside this new version of She Hulk), Black Panther and Steve did better against Hulk for god's sake, everyone did.
    I like debating these things on Rumbles...by far, the best place on the internet to discuss battle oriented questions. I mention this because there are so many differing writer perspectives on similar questions. Recently, Mr. Busiek said, "we rig the fights..." (Edit: so tone is not misunderstood--I cites Mr Busiek's statement to emphasize that writer perspective really shouldn't be included in Rumbles type question--I feel Mr Busiek is one of the top 10 greatest comic writers of all time). Therefore, to include writer perspective on who can do this that or the other is ludicrous. Now to be fair, his view is hard to reconcile with old EIC DeFalco saying, "Hulk is stronger, Thor is more powerful"...the complete opposite approach of Stan Lee who wanted to be fair to each character (and their fan base). Rumbles rules effectively eliminates writer perspective for this very reason.

And, believe it or not, I agree that should be a writer's focus (telling stories). It's up to discerning readers to distinguish PIS moments, or otherwise, to recognize outlier feats. "Telling a story" is how Spider Man beats Firelord or Wally West doesn't beat 99% of his opponents in the first page or two. Writers...want to make it interesting.

As I mentioned earlier, as much as I love most of the work Ewing has done (the man is a genius) he simply does not understand and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even like Thor, the way he's treated him in the past tells you a lot, he had Luke Cage shrug off a swing from Jarnbjorn, he had White Tiger (a street level tier) overwhelm Thor, he had Falcon say Thor is too slow, and he had Odin defend himself with machine guns. Al Ewing simply doesn't know how to use Thor or asgardian characters, and his Thor vs Hulk fight is the most inconsistent and lackluster fight they've had in over 60 years.
    Another reason we (Rumblers) focus more on what each character is logically capable of, given their best consistent feats. I have no doubt the topic on Twitter will be an utter **** show.
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-14-2020 at 06:05 PM.
    ----------------------

And being part of some prehistoric Avengers team and lusting after the Phoenix Force...

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    sure but my point is, inscription shouldn't change IMO.

I wonder if MCU will do the same thing.
    ....the MCU hammer doesn't have the inscription written on it, does it? We see Odin put the "worthy" enchantment on the thing in the first movie, and it's just a Celtic knot or something (been a while since I watched it) that then fades away.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see that scene make its way into the film. Last few years, MCU has been getting some heat for not having a diverse enough roster, and you can see them attempting to fix that and course correct. So yeah I sorta expect the scene to make its way in somehow.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And being part of some prehistoric Avengers team and lusting after the Phoenix Force...
    Well....hard to argue with or resist the power of a pretty red head.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I actually quite like the idea and concept of these prehistoric Avengers and Odin being a part of them, it's the execution that once again Aaron completely butchers, but the idea itself is pretty good.