Page 89 of 179 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2680
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Oh yeah. And then some. I've had many discussions of a volatile nature with Hulk fans on this topic (not here).

I like debating these things on Rumbles...by far, the best place on the internet to discuss battle oriented questions. I mention this because there are so many differing writer perspectives on similar questions. Recently, Mr. Busiek said, "we rig the fights..." (Edit: so tone is not misunderstood--I cites Mr Busiek's statement to emphasize that writer perspective really shouldn't be included in Rumbles type question--I feel Mr Busiek is one of the top 10 greatest comic writers of all time). Therefore, to include writer perspective on who can do this that or the other is ludicrous. Now to be fair, his view is hard to reconcile with old EIC DeFalco saying, "Hulk is stronger, Thor is more powerful"...the complete opposite approach of Stan Lee who wanted to be fair to each character (and their fan base). Rumbles rules effectively eliminates writer perspective for this very reason.

And, believe it or not, I agree that should be a writer's focus (telling stories). It's up to discerning readers to distinguish PIS moments, or otherwise, to recognize outlier feats. "Telling a story" is how Spider Man beats Firelord or Wally West doesn't beat 99% of his opponents in the first page or two. Writers...want to make it interesting.

Another reason we (Rumblers) focus more on what each character is logically capable of, given their best consistent feats. I have no doubt the topic on Twitter will be an utter shit show.
    Honestly though, these kind of contests decided on fan votes are basically popularity contests.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    I actually quite like the idea and concept of these prehistoric Avengers and Odin being a part of them, it's the execution that once again Aaron completely butchers, but the idea itself is pretty good.
    Yeah, imo Aaron definitely has a tendency to completely botch otherwise interesting concepts, then resort to unprofessional, petty, and juvenile antics in the pages of the comics he's writing when receiving any sort of criticism. I was intrigued by the idea of a female Thor when Marvel first started promoting it during the Original Sin event, but I ended up finding Aaron's execution of the story disappointing and severely lacking.

Honestly though, these kind of contests decided on fan votes are basically popularity contests.
    Yeah I've seen that approach elsewhere as well. Doesn't really answer who (logically) is bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, etc..

At any rate, someone mentioned in an earlier post things we'd address about Thor going forward? I'd like a little more on Thor's relationship to Jord and maybe a satisfying answer to the Odin force being tied up in the hammer by Dr Strange.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Thor is going to be up against Hulk in the battle royale on Twitter, expect a flame war.

I'm sure the scan of Immortal Hulk cracking Thor's skull will be brought up by Hulk fans, but that's one of the most inconsistent fights they've ever had, every single Avenger performed better against Hulk than Thor himself did (even though he is the most powerful alongside this new version of She Hulk), Black Panther and Steve did better against Hulk for god's sake, everyone did.

As I mentioned earlier, as much as I love most of the work Ewing has done (the man is a genius) he simply does not understand and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even like Thor, the way he's treated him in the past tells you a lot, he had Luke Cage shrug off a swing from Jarnbjorn, he had White Tiger (a street level tier) overwhelm Thor, he had Falcon say Thor is too slow, and he had Odin defend himself with machine guns. Al Ewing simply doesn't know how to use Thor or asgardian characters, and his Thor vs Hulk fight is the most inconsistent and lackluster fight they've had in over 60 years.
    I think Ewing was making a tongue in cheek reference to Skurge's final stand from Walt Simonson's run with Odin and Freya using machineguns.

However, Thor getting pwned by White Tiger and being a Slowdinson fodder to Falcon? That's really annoying.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ....the MCU hammer doesn't have the inscription written on it, does it? We see Odin put the "worthy" enchantment on the thing in the first movie, and it's just a Celtic knot or something (been a while since I watched it) that then fades away.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see that scene make its way into the film. Last few years, MCU has been getting some heat for not having a diverse enough roster, and you can see them attempting to fix that and course correct. So yeah I sorta expect the scene to make its way in somehow.
    I could've sworn the inscription showed up when Odin put the enchantment on it, but I could be wrong.
    I actually quite like the idea and concept of these prehistoric Avengers and Odin being a part of them, it's the execution that once again Aaron completely butchers, but the idea itself is pretty good.
    Even conceputally it just feels a bit much too me. Like when Bendis established the "original" Avengers team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I think Ewing was making a tongue in cheek reference to Skurge's final stand from Walt Simonson's run with Odin and Freya using machineguns.

However, Thor getting pwned by White Tiger and being a Slowdinson fodder to Falcon? That's really annoying.
    Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but the difference in power between Skruge and Odin is huge, the homage is appreciated, but it made no sense.

Ewing doesn't seem to care much about Thor himself, some of his worst showings in the last few years come from him.

Oh yeah, that Thor and Devil Hulk fight...

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, that Thor and Devil Hulk fight...
    That made sense. Hulk is meta-level now.

BANNED

Thor is going to be up against Hulk in the battle royale on Twitter, expect a flame war.

I'm sure the scan of Immortal Hulk cracking Thor's skull will be brought up by Hulk fans, but that's one of the most inconsistent fights they've ever had, every single Avenger performed better against Hulk than Thor himself did (even though he is the most powerful alongside this new version of She Hulk), Black Panther and Steve did better against Hulk for god's sake, everyone did.

As I mentioned earlier, as much as I love most of the work Ewing has done (the man is a genius) he simply does not understand and I'm pretty sure he doesn't even like Thor, the way he's treated him in the past tells you a lot, he had Luke Cage shrug off a swing from Jarnbjorn, he had White Tiger (a street level tier) overwhelm Thor, he had Falcon say Thor is too slow, and he had Odin defend himself with machine guns. Al Ewing simply doesn't know how to use Thor or asgardian characters, and his Thor vs Hulk fight is the most inconsistent and lackluster fight they've had in over 60 years.
    This is just incorrect. All of the Avengers got basically one-shot, Steve didn't fight Hulk outside of just blocking a punch with his shield, which is normal he has blocked hits from more powerful characters, that's how the shield works.

When did Luke Cage shrug off Janjborn? You talking about Power-Man? Because he absorbed the blow from it turning him into a Hulk level opponent from the kinetic force he absorbed, White Tiger is posessed by the power of a god, she has manhandled mid-tiers like She-Hulk and Power man and there is no going around that most street tiers are faster than Thor, besides she didn't even do anything to him other than scratch him once which didn't even break his skin, Thor is slower than Spider-Man this isn't nothing new, the Gatling gun was weird but Odin has been going down a spiral for years now in terms of power unfortunately(IIRC at least Ewing in his Loki series had it say Odin lost his OF). We missed most of the Hulk vs Thor fight, all we saw was the end which is Hulk(stronger than the Hulks Thor has fought before) one-punch Thor, this really isn't that out of the ordinary for me.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.

BANNED

Also those battle royals are literally nothing but popularity contests. In one battle royal a couple of years ago Hulk went against Eternity and won... and then went up against Deadpool and lost, so you are best off ignoring those or treating them as popularity contests, not actual battles.

Thor is a victim of Worf.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Also those battle royals are literally nothing but popularity contests. In one battle royal a couple of years ago Hulk went against Eternity and won... and then went up against Deadpool and lost, so you are best off ignoring those or treating them as popularity contests, not actual battles.
    Deadpool being more popular than Hulk makes my eyes roll.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Thor is a victim of Worf.
    Thor has been turned into the Worf of the Avengers.

Although Worf stopped being a jobber in DS9.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Deadpool being more popular than Hulk makes my eyes roll.
    Eh that's normal especially with recent Deadpool movies that have been quite popular, Ironman for instance wasn't that popular of a character not until RDJ played him and after that i think he won pretty much every online popularity poll that asked whose your favorite Avenger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    This is just incorrect. All of the Avengers got basically one-shot, Steve didn't fight Hulk outside of just blocking a punch with his shield, which is normal he has blocked hits from more powerful characters, that's how the shield works.

When did Luke Cage shrug off Janjborn? You talking about Power-Man? Because he absorbed the blow from it turning him into a Hulk level opponent from the kinetic force he absorbed, White Tiger is posessed by the power of a god, she has manhandled mid-tiers like She-Hulk and Power man and there is no going around that most street tiers are faster than Thor, besides she didn't even do anything to him other than scratch him once which didn't even break his skin, Thor is slower than Spider-Man this isn't nothing new, the Gatling gun was weird but Odin has been going down a spiral for years now in terms of power unfortunately(IIRC at least Ewing in his Loki series had it say Odin lost his OF). We missed most of the Hulk vs Thor fight, all we saw was the end which is Hulk(stronger than the Hulks Thor has fought before) one-punch Thor, this really isn't that out of the ordinary for me.
    No it isn't, go and re-read the fight, anyone who wants can go and do so, I'm not going to go panel by panel how each Avenger fared, but they all lasted longer than Thor and unlike him connected hits, even if it ultimately did nothing to Hulk. I know this is the most powerful Hulk has been barring WBH, but even then it was just embarrasing, and I am dreading their next battle. Apparently The Avengers will have a rematch against Hulk and I just hope that Thor isn't there, because whatever happens, Thor already lost. If he wins (which I doubt Ewing will have anyone beat Hulk) it will be after a hard fight, to which Hulk fans will claim that even with the Odin Force Thor could barely beat Hulk, and if he loses (most likely scenario given this is Ewing) Hulk fans will say that not even Odin Force Thor could beat Hulk.

Either way, it's a lose-lose scenario for Thor.