Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Donna got a lot of love in today's issue of Wonder Woman.
    I really liked.

Okay if we had to introduce Donna in the movie verse how would you guys do it?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Okay if we had to introduce Donna in the movie verse how would you guys do it?
    It would be super easy and I would use Donna's original origin which is the simplest, less confusing for audiences not familiar with the character. The groundwork has already been established that Diana has been in Patriarch's world since WWII and is a founding member of the Justice League. During one of Diana's heroic escapades, she rescues a child, Donna Troy, from a burning building, brings her to Themyscira and the child is adopted by Queen Hippolyta. My suggestion: there is a reason Diana brings Donna home, perhaps because she senses that like herself, Donna has been gifted by the Greek gods, possibly the Titans of Myth. This could be explored as the reason Donna has powers like Diana. Diana/Hippolyta sensing Donna is blessed by the gods, decides to have Diana and the Amazons train/mentor her. Donna decides to follow in her big sisters footsteps and accompany her on missions. This could even open the door to the Titans being established in the DC movie-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    It would be super easy and I would use Donna's original origin which is the simplest, less confusing for audiences not familiar with the character. The groundwork has already been established that Diana has been in Patriarch's world since WWII and is a founding member of the Justice League. During one of Diana's heroic escapades, she rescues a child, Donna Troy, from a burning building, brings her to Themyscira and the child is adopted by Queen Hippolyta. My suggestion: there is a reason Diana brings Donna home, perhaps because she senses that like herself, Donna has been gifted by the Greek gods, possibly the Titans of Myth. This could be explored as the reason Donna has powers like Diana. Diana/Hippolyta sensing Donna is blessed by the gods, decides to have Diana and the Amazons train/mentor her. Donna decides to follow in her big sisters footsteps and accompany her on missions. This could even open the door to the Titans being established in the DC movie-verse.
    But how can that happen in the comics when Wonder Woman doesn’t have access to Themyscira? She was just granted passage recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    But how can that happen in the comics when Wonder Woman doesn’t have access to Themyscira? She was just granted passage recently.
    Wonder Woman continuity has been a bit fluid lately. Seems to depend on the writer. The current writer, Steve Orlando, included flashback scenes in recent issues that clearly showed Diana back on Themyscira and training a young Donna Troy. In DC's Generation event which was scheduled to come out in June but has been pushed back, included a timeline of Diana which included her leaving the island to join the WWII era Justice Society of America then, returning to the island sometime afterwards. Diana once again left the island in the modern era to become a founding member of the Justice League of America.

Writer Greg Rucka introduced the idea that Diana was unable to return to the island in the Year One Post-Rebirth storyline; however, as more DC characters are regaining their memories of a pre-flashpoint existence as shown in this week's (June 2) Action Comics, it remains to be seen whether the constraint that Diana couldn't return to the island was part of the history reboot from Dr Manhattan and will subsequently be forgotten as Diana regains her pre-flashpoint memories which includes her many return visits to the island.

Wonder Woman continuity has been a bit fluid lately. Seems to depend on the writer. The current writer, Steve Orlando, included flashback scenes in recent issues that clearly showed Diana back on Themyscira and training a young Donna Troy. In DC's Generation event which was scheduled to come out in June but has been pushed back, included a timeline of Diana which included her leaving the island to join the WWII era Justice Society of America then, returning to the island sometime afterwards. Diana once again left the island in the modern era to become a founding member of the Justice League of America.

Writer Greg Rucka introduced the idea that Diana was unable to return to the island in the Year One Post-Rebirth storyline; however, as more DC characters are regaining their memories of a pre-flashpoint existence as shown in this week's (June 2) Action Comics, it remains to be seen whether the constraint that Diana couldn't return to the island was part of the history reboot from Dr Manhattan and will subsequently be forgotten as Diana regains her pre-flashpoint memories which includes her many return visits to the island.
    Right but Diana left the island as a woman when she was on Themyscira. We should be getting our answers since donna says they’ll talk after this.

Did anyone else notice that within the Lasso of Persuasion, the backdrop appeared to be New Chronus? I thought that was a cool touch and looked beautiful with the blue starry sky backdrop.

Did anyone else notice that within the Lasso of Persuasion, the backdrop appeared to be New Chronus? I thought that was a cool touch and looked beautiful with the blue starry sky backdrop.
    #Foreshadowing

I'm betting we'll find out more later.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Notbthat one, the one that's more magenta colored in the photo...
    It's his version of Jem. I looked at his entire page and it's in one of the descriptions. It's a fusion of Jem/Jerrica and Synergy with some tie to Gemworld from Amethyst.

Donna's original origin was the simplest to understand and the best. As Paradise Island exists outside of time, Donna need not be from the 20th century. She could have, instead, been rescued from a burning building or ship, ..in ancient Troy, Rome or Egypt. Furthermore, she could just as easily have grown up, among the Amazons, outside of time, allowing writers some flexibility with her continuity.

It annoys me that writers haven't chosen to exploit this.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-03-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Donna's original origin was the simplest to understand and the best. As Paradise Island exists outside of time, Donna need not be from the 20th century. She could have, instead, been rescued from a burning building or ship, ..in ancient Troy, Rome or Egypt. Furthermore, she could just as easily have grown up, among the Amazons, outside of time, allowing writers some flexibility with her continuity.

It annoys me that writers haven't chosen to exploit this.
    Great insight. This could be a nice spin that Donna is actually from the ancient city of Troy. We've seen that Amazon's have added to their number over time so, it's already an established precedent. I'm going to play devils advocate and say that Donna's clay origin does allow the benefit of immortality that as a normal human girl being brought to the island, doesn't provide. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of the original origin because it's simpler and cuts through the continuity mess but, I have to admit that if writers stick to the clay origin, there's some things to explore like immortality, does Donna have a soul, does she have a weakness for magic or, did the gods intervene during the creation spell and grant Donna powers as in Diana's original origin. Trying to look at glass half full when it comes to Donna's confusing history and think about ways to move forward and give her some actual character growth instead of reboot after reboot.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

See, my view of Donna is as the 'modern' of the two between Diana and Donna and her being from ancient times doesn't entirely jibe with that. I'd like her to be quite literally a human girl saved from a fire at the early days of Wonder Woman's modern career, and ideally Donna can be chosen by the Titans of Myth to tie into her second origin as well and wrap it up with a neat little bow.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    See, my view of Donna is as the 'modern' of the two between Diana and Donna and her being from ancient times doesn't entirely jibe with that. I'd like her to be quite literally a human girl saved from a fire at the early days of Wonder Woman's modern career, and ideally Donna can be chosen by the Titans of Myth to tie into her second origin as well and wrap it up with a neat little bow.
    Well...as she'd be rescued from Troy, as a baby, and raised on the Island, I don't see what difference it would make where she came from. It would also remove the need to find Donnas human family, since they've all been dead, for thousands of years. This would also make the Amazons the only family, she's ever known.

Nice and tidy.

DC could reboot the universe, several more times, while leaving Donna virtually untouched.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    This right here.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well...as she'd be rescued from Troy, as a baby, and raised on the Island, I don't see what difference it would make where she came from. It would also remove the need to find Donnas human family, since they've all been dead, for thousands of years. This would also make the Amazons the only family, she's ever known.

Nice and tidy.

DC could reboot the universe, several more times, while leaving Donna virtually untouched.
    But that's the thing. Losing Donna's human family is losing potential supporting cast for her; I'd love to see her bonding with her adopted mother in Man's World as well as Hippolyta and Phillipus, her adopted mothers on Themyscira. I'd love to see her taking time out of her day to spend time with her step sister to go shopping or talk about boys or something like that. Getting rid of the modern aspect of her origin removes that and honestly having her be thousands of years old, like her Amazonian sisters, just feels off to me.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey