Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Troia!

makes most sense as part of the Titan seed stuff though
    Translate Troia from Italian to English.

That's why many of us really dislike this name.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Translate Troia from Italian to English.

That's why many of us really dislike this name.
    Hating it for being a regional slang word is silly. Troia means Troy in most languages (including italian).

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Jesús Merino did a great job making the Wonder Sisters' costumes look related in their recent reunion in WW 756-ish...
    Aside from Cassie, generally dig the looks the WW characters have been sporting since Rebirth.

Jesús Merino did a great job making the Wonder Sisters' costumes look related in their recent reunion in WW 756-ish...
    I love this pic! Both Diana and Donna look great with enough differences to be their own woman, while still having some similarities to tie the characters together and as sisters as well as Wonder Women.

I also just noticed that Diana has the same "A" on her belt as Donna, except Diana also has a "V" part. I know in the past we have speculated that it meant something, like "Amazon". Maybe it just is a nod to Diana's original belt design??

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Hating it for being a regional slang word is silly. Troia means Troy in most languages (including italian).
    More so when you look at what the word's meanings in Italian are other than Troy. Troia is the name of a municipality in Foggia, Italy as well as one of the noble families... who use the spelling Troja as well as Troia apparently. (who for Italian reasons used a pig as their coat of arms) Yeah... calling a woman a "troia" is more literally calling her a female pig.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    More so when you look at what the word's meanings in Italian are other than Troy. Troia is the name of a municipality in Foggia, Italy as well as one of the noble families... who use the spelling Troja as well as Troia apparently. (who for Italian reasons used a pig as their coat of arms) Yeah... calling a woman a "troia" is more literally calling her a female pig.
    I know, but how is that a good reason to hate on the word because of one language? Why a translation takes precedence over its original meaning in Greek? If you search really hard you'd find plenty of English words that sound silly or offensive in one language or another. Troia is recognized as Troy by the vast majority of non-English readership, and I'm sure even Italians would know the meaning in the context.
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 08-30-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Aside from Cassie, generally dig the looks the WW characters have been sporting since Rebirth.
    Those bedpans on Donna's shoulders, though....

Hot Spot once went by the code name Joto which is Swahili for heat before changing it when the creators realized it was also a Spanish slur for gay people. If Troia has similar baggage, it might be best to ignore it.

As I've said before, Donna's actual name is much more interesting than any code name they can come up for her and she arguably doesn't need one since she doesn't have a secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hot Spot once went by the code name Joto which is Swahili for heat before changing it when the creators realized it was also a Spanish slur for gay people. If Troia has similar baggage, it might be best to ignore it

As I've said before, Donna's actual name is much more interesting than any code name they can come up for her and she arguably doesn't need one since she doesn't have a secret identity
    Personally I think that considering a word from one language offensive because it's a slur in another is a horrible practice. It's almost like they're validating a slur.

I agree that her actual name is the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I know, but how is that a good reason to hate on the word because of one language? Why a translation takes precedence over its original meaning in Greek? If you search really hard you'd find plenty of English words that sound silly or offensive in one language or another. Troia is recognized as Troy by the vast majority of non-English readership, and I'm sure even Italians would know the meaning in the context.
    I was agreeing with you.... :/

Hot Spot once went by the code name Joto which is Swahili for heat before changing it when the creators realized it was also a Spanish slur for gay people. If Troia has similar baggage, it might be best to ignore it.

As I've said before, Donna's actual name is much more interesting than any code name they can come up for her and she arguably doesn't need one since she doesn't have a secret identity.
    The last Titans series gave her a codename. When Ben Rubel (a Supergirl supporting character) met Donna, he asked if she was Wonder Woman, and she said she was. And note how on that page above, Diana calls herself and Donna "Wonder Women". It's very rarely used, but Donna's actually a second Wonder Woman.

That pic of her as Wonder Girl, by the way, relates to the Titans TV series, where she is indeed still using that name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Great Hera! HOLA! Donna Troy!
    Fan art design for Diana by kiddoblivion
    https://www.deviantart.com/kiddobliv...oman-171022443

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The last Titans series gave her a codename. When Ben Rubel (a Supergirl supporting character) met Donna, he asked if she was Wonder Woman, and she said she was. And note how on that page above, Diana calls herself and Donna "Wonder Women". It's very rarely used, but Donna's actually a second Wonder Woman.

That pic of her as Wonder Girl, by the way, relates to the Titans TV series, where she is indeed still using that name.
    She only uses the Wonder Girl name in the flashbacks. She's quit in the present timeline of the story.

Wait, what pic are you talking about?

Shouldn't this be in the Diana appreciation thread?

Shouldn't this be in the Diana appreciation thread?
    Nope. I'm suggesting it for DONNA.
    It has the classic Wonder Girl lines updated for the current aesthetic sensibility.