Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I sure hope not, but I'm pretty worried. Fortunately, there's nothing to indicate that yet. I'm not sure how faithful to the shows other such characters have been (Diggle is one, IIRC), but I suppose Ryan could be different than she is in the show. She could potentially be a one-off, if she's debuting in the last issue of a series.
    Diggle is afaik the only CW character who had some staying power in the comics.

When it comes to Ryan I guess after the Batgirl issue we might have better idea if that was just a cameo, or if they want to build that character up for something.

But I don't know how they should make her becoming Batwoman in the comics work, unless they take the time to establish some connection between her Kate, otherwise it would seem to me more natural if Barbara would transition to Batwoman and Steph and/or Cass would take over as Batgirl(s), should Kate retire for some reason.

And with Bette Kane, Rene Montoya and Helena Bertinelli there are at least three other characters that would imo at the moment work better as replacements than some newly introduced character.

I know post-COIE it was Kate's stepmom who was rich (at least initially) and she funded Kate's lifestyle for years. Did she ever get retconned/rebooted to having her own money (or dad's money that wasn't stepmom's)? Or ever have a job for a significant time-span?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I know post-COIE it was Kate's stepmom who was rich (at least initially) and she funded Kate's lifestyle for years. Did she ever get retconned/rebooted to having her own money (or dad's money that wasn't stepmom's)? Or ever have a job for a significant time-span?
    Not that I know of. Kate's civilian life is rarely shown anymore, she's always off doing the superhero thing when we see her, which is a pity. We do know that Bruce provides her with new tech from time to time now (some of her later gear is referenced as being upgraded by other members of the Bat-Fam).

As far as I can tell her family, whether immediate, or Bat, just provide everything for her - talk about fantasy.
    It's probably not actually meant to be the case, but until it gets addressed, that's how it is.

Oh good, looks like Batwoman and Steel will probably be in #14 of Batman/Superman as well.

Well, Bruce's reaction to Kate trying to rescue him went about the same as it did the last time (back in Rise of the Batmen).

BatmanSupermanIssue13_BruceKateRenunion.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Not that I know of. Kate's civilian life is rarely shown anymore, she's always off doing the superhero thing when we see her, which is a pity. We do know that Bruce provides her with new tech from time to time now (some of her later gear is referenced as being upgraded by other members of the Bat-Fam).

As far as I can tell her family, whether immediate, or Bat, just provide everything for her - talk about fantasy.
    It's probably not actually meant to be the case, but until it gets addressed, that's how it is.
    She does have a job; she works in an office, presumably as an executive at Kane Industries. It's just only been mentioned literally once.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

She does have a job; she works in an office, presumably as an executive at Kane Industries. It's just only been mentioned literally once.
    Then in my head cannon she only bothered to show-up to work the once.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Kane is a rich family today, dating back to Victorian times like the Waynes, Cobblepots, and Elliots, so they have money. There's a Kane estate in the mainland, then as an adult post military she moved to the penthouse in... Upper East Side I think.

No wonder I never heard of it. When's that? Before or after Flashpoint?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-28-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Diggle is afaik the only CW character who had some staying power in the comics.

When it comes to Ryan I guess after the Batgirl issue we might have better idea if that was just a cameo, or if they want to build that character up for something.

But I don't know how they should make her becoming Batwoman in the comics work, unless they take the time to establish some connection between her Kate, otherwise it would seem to me more natural if Barbara would transition to Batwoman and Steph and/or Cass would take over as Batgirl(s), should Kate retire for some reason.

And with Bette Kane, Rene Montoya and Helena Bertinelli there are at least three other characters that would imo at the moment work better as replacements than some newly introduced character.
    I vote for Bette coming back!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Kane is a rich family today, dating back to Victorian times like the Waynes, Cobblepots, and Elliots, so they have money. There's a Kane estate in the mainland where they grew up, then as an adult post military she moved to the penthouse in... Upper East Side I think.
    Well, lots of families lose money over that timespan (didn't the Cobblepots in some versions?), but since she was retcon related to rich Martha Kane, I did think that Martha's brother would be rich, too. Thought it would definitely reshape the first meeting (for the audience) of her stepmom. So does Jacob own the business(es) now? And Kate grew up rich? Or was the money not inherited yet (still might smaller rich from trust funds)? Is any of it hers, or just her dad's? Again, trust funds seem feasible with that kind of money. Then I think about Beth and her dead/alive status...

I do think it's funny (though perhaps not unreaslitic) how these rich kids end up immediately as executives in family businesses even when they have no actual business/industry experience. At least she's not 17. Don't suppose we have any idea if the company is wholly family owned, has non-voting shares, is publicly traded, etc. (I've tried to figure this out for several Wayne, Queen, and Kord family businesses, too - it's an exercise in frustration).

Incredible Member

Well, lots of families lose money over that timespan (didn't the Cobblepots in some versions?), but since she was retcon related to rich Martha Kane, I did think that Martha's brother would be rich, too. Thought it would definitely reshape the first meeting (for the audience) of her stepmom. So does Jacob own the business(es) now? And Kate grew up rich? Or was the money not inherited yet (still might smaller rich from trust funds)? Is any of it hers, or just her dad's? Again, trust funds seem feasible with that kind of money. Then I think about Beth and her dead/alive status...

I do think it's funny (though perhaps not unreaslitic) how these rich kids end up immediately as executives in family businesses even when they have no actual business/industry experience. At least she's not 17. Don't suppose we have any idea if the company is wholly family owned, has non-voting shares, is publicly traded, etc. (I've tried to figure this out for several Wayne, Queen, and Kord family businesses, too - it's an exercise in frustration).
    My guess is that Roderick and Betsy gave all of their children trust funds and that Jacob choose to simply not use his. He left it there to accumulate interest and that he then gave it to Kate. Nathan definitely had money, he bought a circus for crying out loud
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No wonder I never heard of it. When's that? Before or after Flashpoint?
    New 52, Batwoman #2, I think. There's been no indication she's quit or otherwise changed jobs, so she's apparently still there.

So does Jacob own the business(es) now? And Kate grew up rich?
    Sort of. Jacob is from a wealthy family, but Kate was raised middle class, as Jacob and Gabi were stationed at Fort Bragg. Up until about age 11, she lived in a regular single-story suburban house.
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-28-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member

New 52, Batwoman #2, I think. There's been no indication she's quit or otherwise changed jobs, so she's apparently still there.

Sort of. Jacob is from a wealthy family, but Kate was raised middle class, as Jacob and Gabi were stationed at Fort Bragg. Up until about age 11, she lived in a regular single-story suburban house.
    Yeah Kate was raised semi-normally. She went to West point expecting to continue that middle class lifestyle. Then drops out and becomes a party girl. She only uses the socialite thing asa mask like Bruce,

Yeah Kate was raised semi-normally. She went to West point expecting to continue that middle class lifestyle. Then drops out and becomes a party girl.
    Yeah, I just don't think "I'll have a middle-class lifestyle" really makes sense for most raised in billionaire households, logically. One person, okay, but several? I mean, I get still wanting to serve in the military - that's completely understandable. It's the not spending more money (or else giving it away) I don't really get. Though I guess Jacob would be the only one raised in billionaire lifestyle to make that choice, since his kids weren't raised in it because of his choice (and well, one of them being kidnapped).

Are you talking about the scene in which Kate gives Maggie excuses for not going up to her place? I’ve always interpreted that as Kate just being playful and not indicative of her actually having an office job.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I just don't think "I'll have a middle-class lifestyle" really makes sense for most raised in billionaire households, logically. One person, okay, but several? I mean, I get still wanting to serve in the military - that's completely understandable. It's the not spending more money (or else giving it away) I don't really get. Though I guess Jacob would be the only one raised in billionaire lifestyle to make that choice, since his kids weren't raised in it because of his choice (and well, one of them being kidnapped).
    I can see Jacob deciding that he wants to make his own way in the world. Also Gabi seems to have been middle class so there's that element as well