Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Well, lots of families lose money over that timespan (didn't the Cobblepots in some versions?), but since she was retcon related to rich Martha Kane, I did think that Martha's brother would be rich, too. Thought it would definitely reshape the first meeting (for the audience) of her stepmom. So does Jacob own the business(es) now? And Kate grew up rich? Or was the money not inherited yet (still might smaller rich from trust funds)? Is any of it hers, or just her dad's? Again, trust funds seem feasible with that kind of money. Then I think about Beth and her dead/alive status...

I do think it's funny (though perhaps not unreaslitic) how these rich kids end up immediately as executives in family businesses even when they have no actual business/industry experience. At least she's not 17. Don't suppose we have any idea if the company is wholly family owned, has non-voting shares, is publicly traded, etc. (I've tried to figure this out for several Wayne, Queen, and Kord family businesses, too - it's an exercise in frustration).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    My guess is that Roderick and Betsy gave all of their children trust funds and that Jacob choose to simply not use his. He left it there to accumulate interest and that he then gave it to Kate. Nathan definitely had money, he bought a circus for crying out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    New 52, Batwoman #2, I think. There's been no indication she's quit or otherwise changed jobs, so she's apparently still there.

Sort of. Jacob is from a wealthy family, but Kate was raised middle class, as Jacob and Gabi were stationed at Fort Bragg. Up until about age 11, she lived in a regular single-story suburban house.
    Wait okay I think I mixed them up.
    Rundown of the Kane fortune.

Roderick Kane sold most of Kane industry.
    Nathan inherited what seems to be most of the fortune. He's very rich when he married Kathy, then she inherited his fortune on top of her own, and then she faked her death and I don't know where the fortune went. She's still a rich secret agent secretly alive, I just don't know... anyway!

Jacob and Gabi are both military and moved around, I don't get the impression that they care about business...
    Philip wants the Wayne fortune as well and heads the Wayne Enterprises until Bruce returned, merging it with his company. He was blackmailed to joining Red Hood Gang and then killed. (I don't know if the merging causes Bruce to be the head of both Kane and Wayne industries)
    Then there's Bette's unseen father.

Catherine Hamilton is an heiress Pre-Flashpoint, New 52 onwards I don't know, but usually they don't change things unless it's necessary for plot, like the whole Philip Kane thing, and I don't think changing Catherine's inheritance is their priority.

So however much left of the Kane fortune and industry that didn't go to Kathy (and then she faked her death) is divided between Jacob and Bette's father (if he's alive), then Kate's fortune is what she got from Jacob plus Catherine, plus her job

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Are you talking about the scene in which Kate gives Maggie excuses for not going up to her place? I’ve always interpreted that as Kate just being playful and not indicative of her actually having an office job.
    By the way I read up the New 52 Batwoman scene again, and got distracted with Kate refusing to take orders from Batman because of the daddy issues that might imply. Lol. This was before the retcon that they're family.

Anyway, the scene. I read it as her making an excuse for Maggie too, although she could derive it from her real job.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-28-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Are you talking about the scene in which Kate gives Maggie excuses for not going up to her place? I’ve always interpreted that as Kate just being playful and not indicative of her actually having an office job.
    She literally had no reason to lie about that. Especially to a detective. That would be a stupid way to get caught.

It's true that she was hiding what she actually going to be doing that night, but she wasn't using fake details.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait okay I think I mixed them up.
    Rundown of the Kane fortune.

Roderick Kane sold most of Kane industry.
    Nathan inherited what seems to be most of the fortune. He's very rich when he married Kathy, then she inherited his fortune on top of her own, and then she faked her death and I don't know where the fortune went. She's still a rich secret agent secretly alive, I just don't know... anyway!

Jacob and Gabi are both military and moved around, I don't get the impression that they care about business...
    Philip wants the Wayne fortune as well and heads the Wayne Enterprises until Bruce returned. He was blackmailed to joining Red Hood Gang and then killed
    Then there's Bette's unseen father.

Catherine Hamilton is an heiress Pre-Flashpoint, New 52 onwards I don't know, but usually they don't change things unless it's necessary for plot, like the whole Philip Kane thing, and I don't think changing Catherine's inheritance is their priority.

So however much left of the Kane fortune and industry that didn't go to Kathy (and then she faked her death) is divided between Jacob and Bette's father (if he's alive), then Kate's fortune is what she got from Jacob plus Catherine, plus her job if she has one.

By the way I read up the New 52 Batwoman scene again, and got distracted with Kate refusing to take orders from Batman because of the daddy issues that might imply. Lol. This was before the retcon that they're family.

Anyway, the scene. I read it as her making an excuse for Maggie too.
    I think Kathy left her money to Bette. That one flashback of Bat-girl makes me think that. So bette is inheriting three fortunes. Her father's, aunt's and uncle's. Girl's gonna be wealthy
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Anyway, the scene. I read it as her making an excuse for Maggie too, although she could derive it from her real job.
    She literally had no reason to lie about that. Especially to a detective. That would be a stupid way to get caught.

It's true that she was hiding what she actually going to be doing that night, but she wasn't using fake details.
    It’s certainly possible she has an office job. But I think it’s a leap to say she definitely does based on that scene. Kate was just being “goofy” as Maggie said.

It’s certainly possible she has an office job. But I think it’s a leap to say she definitely does based on that scene. Kate was just being “goofy” as Maggie said.
    Maggie's saying that because Kate is being funny.

Screenshot_20201028-193900.jpg

She's joking about those things being the reason she has to leave, not that she doesn't do any of them. By that logic, she'd also be joking about her ability to head to Europe on a whim, or her sailing ability, but neither of those are in question. So why is the most mundane of the three?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Maggie's saying that because Kate is being funny.

Screenshot_20201028-193900.jpg

She's joking about those things being the reason she has to leave, not that she doesn't do any of them. By that logic, she'd also be joking about her ability to head to Europe on a whim, or her sailing ability, but neither of those are in question. So why is the most mundane of the three?
    She could go to Paris.
    She could go sailing.
    She could have an office job.

She’s not definitely going to Paris.
    She’s not definitely going sailing.
    She doesn’t definitely have an office job.

Yeah, that doesn't come across as her actually having a job, quite the opposite in fact.

She could go to Paris.
    She could go sailing.
    She could have an office job.

She’s not definitely going to Paris.
    She’s not definitely going sailing.
    She doesn’t definitely have an office job.
    You're using the wrong construction based on what she said. It should be:

She could have a meeting tomorrow at her job.
    She doesn't definitely have a meeting tomorrow.

The question is whether or not she has a meeting, not whether or not she has a job. Seriously, I don't get what's difficult to understand here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't come across as her actually having a job, quite the opposite in fact.
    Are you serious? She almost literally states "I work at an office"! Is there something unbelievable about that?
    Last edited by Caivu; 10-28-2020 at 07:06 PM.

What's going on in this thread?
    You’re using a joke as definitive evidence that Kate has an office job.

You’re using a joke as definitive evidence that Kate has an office job.
    It's not a joke about her having a job. The joke is "none of these are reason I have to leave right now."

The only way this might work as the sort of joke you're talking about is if there were some sort of previous banter between Maggie and Kate about that very thing. Like at the previous scene in the bar, if Kate had mentioned she doesn't work, the porch scene would be the payoff to that.

But there's none of that. This is the first time Kate has mentioned a job of hers, and since there's literally not a single reason for her not to be telling the truth about that, and since there's nothing at all to contradict it, it has to be true.

since there's nothing at all to contradict it, it has to be true.
    Or you’re being too literal with it.

Or you’re being too literal with it.

Uh... is there some reason I shouldn't be? There's nothing at all about what Kate says to make me think she doesn't work in an office. I don't even know how that could be taken figuratively.

She's joking around and being cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I think Kathy left her money to Bette. That one flashback of Bat-girl makes me think that. So bette is inheriting three fortunes. Her father's, aunt's and uncle's. Girl's gonna be wealthy
    I'm reading through this and wondering if you're right, and wow. It could change a number of perspectives.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm reading through this and wondering if you're right, and wow. It could change a number of perspectives.
    it seems logical. Bette seemed to be the person she was closest too in the Kane family (discounting Bruce). It works, explains how Bette is funding her hero life 'cause i doubt her parents are paying for it
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3