Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Oh it's definitely about, right along with insulting suggestions on how to discard Kate (usually without killing her) to make room for Ryan (as the Batwoman in the comics), but it's limited to fan speculation and nothing official so far. If you want quotes or links I'm not going to do that, I don't like to single people out or risk comments being taken too far out-of-context. Suffice to say it's mostly a case of excitement over increased diversity in the Bat-Family, but without full consideration on how the potential erasure of another minority character in order to do that, is hurtful to another fanbase.
    Where is it then, just generally? I haven't seen it on Twitter or Tumblr or Reddit or here.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Where is it then, just generally? I haven't seen it on Twitter or Tumblr or Reddit or here.
    This is hardly the only forum that discusses such things. I already said, I'm not comfortable doing that, and definitely not behind their back. Just drop it, I got oversensitive about their suggestions anyway.

Did anyone else find the drone part reminiscent of the Detective Comics #940 when Tim also fought drones?
    That was the first thing that came to mind for me, although the mood and outcome were completely different of course.

BS_14_18_drones.jpg

I'm so austere, I probably won't read everything Kate appears in, unless it is her own starring role/regular role. Even with my dismal hope that Bette, Flamebird would be a character will conform to that, though her appearances have been so rare, I might want to find any of those stories.
    Feel bad for Kate. Her character, more than anything, brought me back to reading some DC comics. I'd stopped for the better of 20 or 25 years, after COIE.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

She's died before, and personally I think it's preferable to character assassination - which given the past record of what DC has done with the character, I don't trust them not to do again (like that time she was repeatedly raped, brainwashed, then victim-blamed for it). I know the bury-your-gays trope means they probably wouldn't dare, and yet it would be more kind than hitting her with the villain stick (which I also don't trust them not to do).
    I don't want her killed, but I don't want any of those things done to her either.

Incredible Member

Bette is back! So there is hope!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

the brief cameo in Last Stories, mentioned on the Bette thread?
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    the brief cameo in last stories, mentioned on the bette thread?
    yes that story!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I don't want her killed, but I don't want any of those things done to her either.
    Hah! But those things have all already happened to some extent, okay the in-cannon death was extremely temporary, and the villain bit was an alternate future. But the thing is I've seen enough of this sort of thing happen in other series/franchises, and at this point I think I'm done.

The whole situation reminds me way too much of what happened to a favourite character of mine in another franchise - my fav character got hit with the villain stick (despite being a starring hero previously) to create drama and elevate another character (not her replacement, but a lesser known hero). She became extremely out-of-character, randomly became a murderer because reasons, and was overall ruined. Then they brought in a replacement who had the same skills, rank, and even the same armour. There was no point for me to stick around at that point.

I did check in years later to see how things had developed: seems there'd been a change of heart somewhere along the line because most of the character-assassinating storyline had been retconned. The character had been made a hero again and even had a starring role once more. But now her replacement had instead been hit with the villain stick and was acting out-of-character to justify it (apparently they couldn't share the role). Downright rude, and proved there was no point ever returning to the franchise IMO - since there was no respect for any of the creations. Not like I cared about the replacement character, but she did have her own fanbase by then, and I had a good idea of how they were feeling about these developments.

Point being, it's getting very close to the point of moving on to another franchise/series, and away from DC comics for me. Or maybe I'm already there. Heh.

Oh well, any suggestions? I started on some Captain Marvel stuff a few months back, but once I started 'Civil War II' I got put off and haven't been able to go back. I think I'll look into sci-fi novels next.

Disappointed that Kate (and Cass and Duke and Steph and Harper, for that matter) was left out of the Batfamily story in Last Stories of the DC Universe. Not even a mention. That sucks for something billed that way, especially since the entire book is about everyone saying their possible last goodbyes before potentially dying in the ostensible Final Battle.

There was a small surprise in her appearing for a single panel in JHWIII's story in Batman: Black and White, however.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Disappointed that Kate (and Cass and Duke and Steph and Harper, for that matter) was left out of the Batfamily story in Last Stories of the DC Universe. Not even a mention. That sucks for something billed that way, especially since the entire book is about everyone saying their possible last goodbyes before potentially dying in the ostensible Final Battle.

There was a small surprise in her appearing for a single panel in JHWIII's story in Batman: Black and White, however.

That is awful about Kate and Last Stories.

Since I don't really follow DC other than Batwoman and her cousin, Bette, I'm aghast at yet another reboot of some sort.

I guess this will be my jump off point.
    ~ Oberon ~

Extraordinary Member

Hah! But those things have all already happened to some extent, okay the in-cannon death was extremely temporary, and the villain bit was an alternate future. But the thing is I've seen enough of this sort of thing happen in other series/franchises, and at this point I think I'm done.

The whole situation reminds me way too much of what happened to a favourite character of mine in another franchise - my fav character got hit with the villain stick (despite being a starring hero previously) to create drama and elevate another character (not her replacement, but a lesser known hero). She became extremely out-of-character, randomly became a murderer because reasons, and was overall ruined. Then they brought in a replacement who had the same skills, rank, and even the same armour. There was no point for me to stick around at that point.

I did check in years later to see how things had developed: seems there'd been a change of heart somewhere along the line because most of the character-assassinating storyline had been retconned. The character had been made a hero again and even had a starring role once more. But now her replacement had instead been hit with the villain stick and was acting out-of-character to justify it (apparently they couldn't share the role). Downright rude, and proved there was no point ever returning to the franchise IMO - since there was no respect for any of the creations. Not like I cared about the replacement character, but she did have her own fanbase by then, and I had a good idea of how they were feeling about these developments.

Point being, it's getting very close to the point of moving on to another franchise/series, and away from DC comics for me. Or maybe I'm already there. Heh.

Oh well, any suggestions? I started on some Captain Marvel stuff a few months back, but once I started 'Civil War II' I got put off and haven't been able to go back. I think I'll look into sci-fi novels next.
    ??????? Which franchise are you referring to?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    ??????? Which franchise are you referring to?
    Buffy maybe?

No. "Same armour". Buffy doesn't wear armour, she just wears the typical clothes any teenage girl at the time would wear.

Maybe Kate, Cass, Duke, and Harper were already dead - but if so, Bruce should've just been able to resurrect them like he did Roy Harper! No such excuse for Steph, who appeared in the Titans section.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-11-2020 at 02:42 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Kate, Cass, Duke, and Harper were already dead
    With zero mention of it? No.