Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So her cowl is mainly wig plus mask? ^^
    Yeah, it has an almost identical form factor to a party face mask. It's bizarre. Jacob Kane, a soldier, apparently designed a protective suit for his own daughter that doesn't cover her whole head. It makes no sense. And it's doubly annoying because the rest of her suit is fairly reasonable in its construction; you can actually see how it fits together and where the closings are and stuff.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-17-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Kate Kane debuted 14 years ago today in 52 #7.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Kate Kane debuted 14 years ago today in 52 #7.
    Okay. But we also have the fact her name is based on another Batwoman with the same name. So I wonder if they were going to be linked

I have never seen her original appearances. I was still not reading DC at the time. But I remember the buzz and thought it interesting.

No, it took seeing the copy of 'Elegy' in my library and specifically that Bette was a member of her cast. Since... 64 years old, I just was fascinated with both reinventions of the old Silver Age Batwoman and "Bat-girl".

I was really pleased with them in that first nu 52 volume.

Yeah, it has an almost identical form factor to a party face mask. It's bizarre. Jacob Kane, a soldier, apparently designed a protective suit for his own daughter that doesn't cover her whole head. It makes no sense. And it's doubly annoying because the rest of her suit is fairly reasonable in its construction; you can actually see how it fits together and where the closings are and stuff.
    Never underestimate the rule of cool! Especially in regards to comic books - a heck of a lot of stuff about Batman and his family don't make sense, just go with it.

What's a good starting place/reading order for Batwoman? My girlfriend has just started getting into comics (she's read Lazarus and WW [rebirth era] by Rucka), and I thought a Batwoman book might be a good gift for her.

New 52, Elegy, Rebirth? All three but in a certain order?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
    What's a good starting place/reading order for Batwoman? My girlfriend has just started getting into comics (she's read Lazarus and WW [rebirth era] by Rucka), and I thought a Batwoman book might be a good gift for her.

Definitely Elegy. Best Batwoman story.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post

Elegy, New 52, Rebirth Detective Comics, Rebirth (the last two are intertwined a bit). If only one, start with Elegy.

Extraordinary Member

Off topic, but I wish DC would make a consistent Superwoman.

Obviously the modern version of Kate is a great independent character. But DC seems to keep dropping the ball on a modern Superwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Definitely Elegy. Best Batwoman story.
    Elegy, New 52, Rebirth Detective Comics, Rebirth (the last two are intertwined a bit). If only one, start with Elegy.
    Thanks! I bought her Elegy to start with.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Off topic, but I wish DC would make a consistent Superwoman.

Obviously the modern version of Kate is a great independent character. But DC seems to keep dropping the ball on a modern Superwoman.
    I just finished Lana's Superwoman and I really enjoyed it. I heard Bendis plans on using her which I'm mixed on. We do need a consistent Superwoman though. We've had 2 in the past 20 years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I just finished Lana's Superwoman and I really enjoyed it. I heard Bendis plans on using her which I'm mixed on. We do need a consistent Superwoman though. We've had 2 in the past 20 years.
    Actually we’ve had four:

1. Lucy Lane wearing the government suit
    2. The teacher who got powers from the sunstone in Superman Grounded storyline.
    3. New 52 Lois
    4. New 52 Lana

Batgirl #46 was a decent outing. Dialogue was iffy, but I liked the continued deepening of Kate and Barbara's friendship. This might be the most explicit handling of that, since it's basically confirmed they train together regularly and have for a while.

Lois Lane #12 confirmed my worst fear for the series: spoilers:
    Rucka functionally broke Kate and Renee up.
    end of spoilers Oh, he didn't explain it that way, oh no. He apparently didn't even do any research into what Renee's current status was. It smacks of disrespect for his fellow writers.

So now spoilers:
    Renee is with a woman she knew for about 10 days total and who appeared in only 2 issues a decade ago. And this woman is apparently her cosmic soulmate or something.
    end of spoilers It's so awful. I've been souring on Rucka for a while, but this is the last straw. His lack of professionalism in studying up on the characters he was writing lead directly to this, and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't actively malicious.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I asked Rucka about it on his discord, and he says that no, he doesn't know what Kate's current status is, but his view of Kate and Renee's relationship is that it's very off and on, and when they're off, they see other people.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord