Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

The new story "Code of Honor" was so weird. I'm torn on it.

Hama writes an above-average Kate; she was competent, and serious, and focused. Mature. Some clunky dialogue, but overall, no problem from me. Where the story falls apart is the premise: Kate, a mere cadet, is sent to Afghanistan since apparently no one else in the entire Army, actual soldiers, have her level of Pashto or psychology skills. What?

That level of looseness from Hama of all people is uncharacteristic and disappointing. I'm glad that he depicts Kate as being a cream-of-the-crop individual; she totally is. But this premise stretches credibility for no real reason. This exact same story, showcasing Kate's character and competence, could've been done with any number of actual West Point events or activities instead of this. Show her leading CFT, show her winning the BBO against Sophie, show her getting her Recondo badge, etc.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It wasn't the biggest or best appearance, but she acted appropriately. It holds with how she acted toward Violet Paige in Mother Panic, so I'm happy for that consistency and maturity on her part.

On a totally different note: I'm becoming increasingly disinterested in Rucka ever writing Kate again. In one of his recent Discord chats, he mentioned that he didn't like the idea of Kate and Maggie getting engaged, and apparently never even intended for them to get together at all. What? After they completely hit it off in Elegy?

By itself, this would just be an annoyance, but he's also said a while back that he doesn't really care for anything she's been in after he stopped writing her, and that the Williams/Blackman run goes against his intentions. Considering that almost every single thing she's been in, including after Elegy, has also been good, that's so discouraging to hear. It's incredibly dismissive of not just Kate's growth and development as a character, but also of the work that went into it (including from one of his own collaborators!). Especially since the New 52 run directly built off Elegy. I just don't know what to make of all that except to be disappointed in him for that attitude.

Kate's consistency as a character is a tremendous strength of hers, one that many superheroes don't get to enjoy. Since he has enough clout, I worry that if Rucka gets to write her again, he'll just undo whatever he doesn't like on a whim.
    Hmmm... wouldn't Kate of all people be okay with Violet or Huntress? They're kinda the same. I miss reading her and TEC wasn't an interesting read. Rucka's Lazarus and Black Magik is great btw

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Hmmm... wouldn't Kate of all people be okay with Violet or Huntress? They're kinda the same.
    Eh... not really. Anyway, she was okay with Violet. She confronted her because Violet was new and just wanted to have a talk with her about that. And she complimented her when Violet rescued some kids.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I don’t view what’s happened with Kate as character development but rather character change. Kate is someone who goes her own way. A reflection of Batman but independent. This key aspect of her has changed. The blood relation to Bruce, taking assignments from Batman (e.g. the monster venom hunt), permitting Julia Pennyworth to accompany her.
    This is a good point. I feel somewhere in the middle. "Yeah, but I don't talk to or about them very much"

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The paranoia/fearmongering has reached levels I can't bear anymore. So please keep the threads about escapism what they are: escapism

There's literally nothing fearmongery about that tweet. It's simply good advice since, y'know, we're in the middle of a pandemic.

There's literally nothing fearmongery about that tweet. It's simply good advice since, y'know, we're in the middle of a pandemic.
    Thanks Caivu. Denial never makes things better. AIDS was denied for so long and we see what happened.

I've recently found out that the co worker who had corona has passed. Another coworker's parent has passed. Both these coworkers I've known for years and care about. i know more folks or friends who are legitimately afraid, and quite frankly I'm one of them, so I will do whatever it takes to take care, including a mask.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Hey Caivu, do you know who this artist is? They don't look familiar to me and I can't make the name out:

[IMG][/IMG]
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Reverse image search says it's Andy Price.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Reverse image search says it's Andy Price.
    Oh, cool! Thanks!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

So was it just me, or did last night's Batwoman episode seemed nearly flawless? Tight plot weaving, cool character's and sequences.

The fighting coreography seemed better than ever. Something nice that *I* like and hope will develop more.

As expected, spoilers:
    Kate dies in Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Though apparently she's not actually shown being killed.
    end of spoilers

As expected, spoilers:
    Kate dies in Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Though apparently she's not actually shown being killed.
    end of spoilers
    What?! Why?! What purpose does that serve. spoilers:
    She was only just introduced in Bad Blood. She'd better come back to life.
    end of spoilers

[Edit] Eh, I don't watch these films anyway. I only got a copy of Bad Blood because it both had Batwoman, and was on sale.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-05-2020 at 05:41 PM.