Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

With this I guess there are technically three versions of Jon running around, Supersons Jon, Legion of Superheroes Jon, and DCeased Superman Jon.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon getting hurt or tortured ain't the issue.Tomasi and jurgens did that plenty.Clark and lois being a bunch of morons about the whole ordeal is the problem for me.Heck!them getting away with it is bigger problem.Also,I am with @blue22 jon shouldn't forget traumatic incidents in his life.It should be addressed in a good way.Losing memories would be bad.
    Unfortunately, that's never guaranteed.

When I said I wanted to have both Jons, I meant Legion Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    With this I guess there are technically three versions of Jon running around, Supersons Jon, Legion of Superheroes Jon, and DCeased Superman Jon.
    Unfortunately, one of those Jons is about to come to an end since both DCeased series are wrapping up.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    When I said I wanted to have both Jons, I meant Legion Jon.
    They don't need to erase legion jon for kid jon to have experiences of the older guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Get over it. Seriously all this hand wringing is idiotic. I get that Jon is your super sweet cinnamon roll for you to “uwu” over but he’s a superhero. He’s going to get hurt and messed up. Damian died via getting stabbed to death. Jon is going to get likewise messed up.

Bendis was right about some fans wanting absolutely nothing bad to ever happen to their characters. Sheesh.
    this is a bad strawman argument, if anything the folks here are asking for actual consequences to the things that occur to these characters. what the hell are you arguing for? sounds like you just want want superficial shock value with lazy follow up characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    this is a bad strawman argument, if anything the folks here are asking for actual consequences to the things that occur to these characters. what the hell are you arguing for? sounds like you just want want superficial shock value with lazy follow up characterization.
    No I want something other than empty hollow “wholesome” adventures. Or at the very least I want that stuff in a containment book like the upcoming digital Super Sons book. Let that be where those who pine for Tomasi to come back get their fix, but I absolutely don’t want anything as dreadful as the back half of Tomasi’s Rebirth run again dominating the main books.

Future State is the most interesting Jon has ever looked to me, and I want stuff like that going forward.

No I want something other than empty hollow “wholesome” adventures. Or at the very least I want that stuff in a containment book like the upcoming digital Super Sons book. Let that be where those who pine for Tomasi to come back get their fix, but I absolutely don’t want anything as dreadful as the back half of Tomasi’s Rebirth run again dominating the main books.

Future State is the most interesting Jon has ever looked to me, and I want stuff like that going forward.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with fun, lighthearted, adventures about two Superhero kids growing up. It'll probably feel a lot more genuine to me than how Bendis wrote the dynamic after he aged Jon and proved he didn't really know how to write Damian.

At least Future State has the excuse of a time jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with fun, lighthearted, adventures about two Superhero kids growing up. It'll probably feel a lot more genuine to me than how Bendis wrote the dynamic after he aged Jon and proved he didn't really know how to write Damian.

At least Future State has the excuse of a time jump.
    I’m fine with people who want that getting a book. Don’t have any problem with the new Super Sons book existing. It’s just not what I want from the mainline Superbooks. Hopefully those of you who want that will enjoy it. But I can’t support in any way a return to that mindset dominating the entire Superbooks again. Not when there’s so many ambitious hard hitting other books out there right now that make me wish Superman was one of them. Not when Future State looks to be the most exciting the Superbooks have been for a long time. Not when I’ve enjoyed Bendis voice for Clark far more than Tomasi’s.

A character being versatile enough to carry both that kinda aesthetic of future state and wholesome swashbuckling adventures as a kid is good thing.The character won't get typecasted/boxed into one thing and just that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.

All I want is a return to the idea that Jon gets to grow up normally. Which would result in both the lighthearted and cute stuff in Super Sons, but it would also leave room for more serious moments of growth and development that could come in other books. Like I've said before, kid Jon was in a very unique position. One that hadn't really been explored all that well since the original Teen Titans.

He would have been a very rare perspective of someone growing up while also taking on the role of a hero. That comes with all the good moments, like Super Sons, and all the bad like his incident with Manchester Black or getting lost in space with his insane grandfather. That's in addition to all the ups and downs that naturally come with growing up for everyone. Actually having a child hero and grow and develop over time the way Dick, Donna, Wally, and Roy did was what I looked forward to the most from Jon. Damian too, to an extent, but more so with Jon since he's closer to a normal kid.

I wasn't invested in this character JUST for the happy go lucky Super Sons stuff.

Astonishing Member

A character being versatile enough to carry both that kinda aesthetic of future state and wholesome swashbuckling adventures as a kid is good thing.The character won't get typecasted/boxed into one thing and just that.
    Many aren't arguing for both though, they're wanting for just the young one and that's it.

we weren't talking about any of that. Look at the previous comments, look at what they were talking about and then have a look at how you spun that into something else entirely.Someone takes issue with a specific plot point-the dumb 7 years in earth 3, and how poorly that was handled, and you spun it into this rant about the entire direction of these books the last few years.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-24-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Many aren't arguing for both though, they're wanting for just the young one and that's it.
    That's not true.Future state looks great.There are people who think it can work out like myself.

That's not true.Future state looks great.There are people who think it can work out like myself.
    He said many. Not everyone.

Astonishing Member

I’m fine with people who want that getting a book. Don’t have any problem with the new Super Sons book existing. It’s just not what I want from the mainline Superbooks. Hopefully those of you who want that will enjoy it. But I can’t support in any way a return to that mindset dominating the entire Superbooks again. Not when there’s so many ambitious hard hitting other books out there right now that make me wish Superman was one of them. Not when Future State looks to be the most exciting the Superbooks have been for a long time. Not when I’ve enjoyed Bendis voice for Clark far more than Tomasi’s.
    While Tomasi's might be a better writer than Bendis' (whose style has too many annoying quirks), his Superman stories just didn't do anything for me. I'm much more critical of his run than I am Bendis because I feel like the latter at least has Superman do something as opposed to just being there, treading waters while he was telling story after story after story about Jon which I feel Tomasi's ended up being.