Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Ehh, we know DC starts future state in January which will likely have Jon as Superman, so it could continue
    Maybe it will be separated from the main continuity.

So Bendis finally pulled the plug and hooked him up with his boring little Teen Jean ripoff. Apparently she even did it in the same disgusting way that Jean did when she forced Bobby out of the closet. Lovely.

Normally this would piss me off because I hate his Jean Grey with the red hot intensity of a thousand suns and I hate his Jon almost as much. But at this point I'm just numb to this bullshit. Especially since we all knew this was coming. I'll save my anger for when that December solicit turns out to just be another tease and everything remains "business as usual" for Jon and the Legion.

EDIT:

Against my better judgement, I read the issue. I figured it would be bad but, MAN! Bends outdid himself with the cringey dialogue, on top of one of the most awkwardly drawn kisses I've ever seen. Which...probably makes sense since it's his first but I really don't believe it was drawn like that on purpose XD
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    We don't even know if Legion is cancelled after December this could be a thing for a while unfortunately.....
    Even if it's not, the solicit talks about a sacrifice...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't know, it worked for me. It seems natural in this case just because how else do you expect revealing your feelings to go to a telepath? They can sense you're uneasy and have those feelings and if you want the same thing, why not just go for it? It's like if you were in high school and the person you like had a "I WANT TO DATE YOU" sign on their forehead for like a month and was having trouble saying it. Wouldn't you just force the issue and bluntly ask them out? They're teens, she's a mindreader and he's got Kryptonian senses. It shouldn't be just a normal teenage romance, so the complications make sense. She knows he probably wants to go for it and we've had some hints at it already.

I understand that because it's Bendis there's going to be the residual hate of Teen Jean (which is justified and the only proper response to that situation), but Imra and Jon are vastly different to Bobby and Jean and we need to treat them as they are. It's a completely different situation with the only common aspect being the writer and a telepath. Yes, both times they used their telepathy to push a conversation forward. Difference is consent. Bobby was not ready for what happened. Jon was and didn't know how to progress. Hell, his "oh no" was either embarrassment or fear she'd reject him. Bruh was literally sinking his own ship through inaction. There's a bit more nuance to it than what went on with Teen Jean turning Bobby into her Ally Point Merit Badge.

I don't think his Jon's terrible. He's certainly more mellow than he used to be as a kid, but that could be natural progression. The biggest gripe I have with older Jon (and mind I prefer him a kid as well) is that once again, he's not enough like his mother and that's been a problem since he was a little boy too. Bendis writes Jon alright. He's got less of the spunk he had as a kid, which does make him my less preferred incarnation of the Heir of El, but he's not that far from who he was at 10. I know I certainly was very different at 10 and 17.

My hopes? No Earth-3 doppelganger nonsense. Have him come back to the present and don't explain what happened to deage him. Have him not remember. Have young Jon deaged in the present and older Jon in the future with the Legion with the final issue just sending him back de-aged. Have Brainy wipe his memory and reset back to being a kid for some reason and close the loop with the promise that when he comes of age, the memories will return and everything will be as it should. Boom. Both camps get what they want and if fans want him with Saturn Girl, they can return to that ship in a couple years when Jon ages up more naturally. But you can have both books and Jon ages simultaneously. The future is kind of great that way.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-30-2020 at 02:36 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Am I missing something something here? In order for two young and attractive 17 year olds to want to kiss, or even start dating, there now has to be some "lead up"? What? Since when?

I really need to stress THEY ARE BASICALLY IN COLLEGE. Not sure what college life was like for anyone with these complaints, but it's not even remotely out of the ordinary for kids to not need more reason than "wow, they're really attractive and nice to me" to form romantic feelings for someone. Like, c'mon you guys. It can bloom into something of more substance later, or it could not, but this idea that we had to some will-they-won't-they teasing is absurd.

The boxes that are required are even checked. While the vote to create the United Planets was still in question, Saturn Girl took the time out to let Jon know that she gets and appreciates all he's been through to get to that point, and she reassures him by spoiling that the vote will be unanimous (leaving Jon with a warm smile of relief). And while Jon's being mobbed by the rest of the Legion, it's Saturn Girl who tells everyone to give him some space, and offers to come back for a one-on-one invite after he's had a sec to think. And all of that along with her attractiveness clearly leaves an impression because Jon then worries about the fact that she can hear all of his thoughts in issue 1. From there Saturn Girl really sticks close to Jon and takes it upon herself to help him adjust to the future. And we see Jon being a pretty big dork as he tries to impress her when he slicks his hair back and goes "hi, hey, Imra! Did you see? Already earning my keep". Then later in issue 6 Jon even goes "looks like this is a job for Superboy and Saturn Girl! In that we're here and we got this" Real smooth, you beautiful little dork lol

And on Saturn Girl's part? She's basically meeting one of history's greatest men who happens to also be almost stupidly attractive, naturally charismatic, a nice kid, and totally into her. Like, c'mon.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-30-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well, I was too awkward and shy to date until I was at least 23/24. So it certainly didn't seem strange to me to have Jon being all shy about it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't understand why it's seen as bad. Its not like its the first time a telepath read his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't think his Jon's terrible. He's certainly more mellow than he used to be as a kid, but that could be natural progression. The biggest gripe I have with older Jon (and mind I prefer him a kid as well) is that once again, he's not enough like his mother and that's been a problem since he was a little boy too. Bendis writes Jon alright. He's got less of the spunk he had as a kid, which does make him my less preferred incarnation of the Heir of El, but he's not that far from who he was at 10. I know I certainly was very different at 10 and 17.
    The mellowness takes the sharpness from the character. That's precisely my problem. Mellowing him down just makes him bland.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-30-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Am I missing something something here? In order for two young and attractive 17 year olds to want to kiss, or even start dating, there now has to be some "lead up"? What? Since when?

I really need to stress THEY ARE BASICALLY IN COLLEGE. Not sure what college life was like for anyone with these complaints, but it's not even remotely out of the ordinary for kids to not need more reason than "wow, they're really attractive and nice to me" to form romantic feelings for someone. Like, c'mon you guys. It can bloom into something of more substance later, or it could not, but this idea that we had to some will-they-won't-they teasing is absurd.

The boxes that are required are even checked. While the vote to create the United Planets was still in question, Saturn Girl took the time out to let Jon know that she gets and appreciates all he's been through to get to that point, and she reassures him by spoiling that the vote will be unanimous (leaving Jon with a warm smile of relief). And while Jon's being mobbed by the rest of the Legion, it's Saturn Girl who tells everyone to give him some space, and offers to come back for a one-on-one invite after he's had a sec to think. And all of that along with her attractiveness clearly leaves an impression because Jon then worries about the fact that she can hear all of his thoughts in issue 1. From there Saturn Girl really sticks close to Jon and takes it upon herself to help him adjust to the future. And we see Jon being a pretty big dork as he tries to impress her when he slicks his hair back and goes "hi, hey, Imra! Did you see? Already earning my keep". Then later in issue 6 Jon even goes "looks like this is a job for Superboy and Saturn Girl! In that we're here and we got this" Real smooth, you beautiful little dork lol

And on Saturn Girl's part? She's basically meeting one of history's greatest men who happens to also be almost stupidly attractive, naturally charismatic, a nice kid, and totally into her. Like, c'mon.
    It depends on your preference because a lot of shipping fanfics have a slow burn approach. Often the romances that work for me in Japanese games/anime are the ones were it's two people meeting and falling in love.

Granted I'd say there was build-up in this pairing and it's clearer if you reread the issues before this one. Although you could just not like the idea of Jon and Saturn Girl and prefer them with other partners.

Just saying, Phantom Girl and Jon would be the most awkward option.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It depends on your preference because a lot of shipping fanfics have a slow burn approach. Often the romances that work for me in Japanese games/anime are the ones were it's two people meeting and falling in love.

Granted I'd say there was build-up in this pairing and it's clearer if you reread the issues before this one. Although you could just not like the idea of Jon and Saturn Girl and prefer them with other partners.

I'm sure there's preferences, and those are valid. I just question acting as if the preference were the objective correct way to go about it.

Like, if the vibe is college relationships and hook ups like its been since issue 3, then I don't get where the "but what about the build up" is coming from. Like, just last issue, we found out that Mon and Phantom Girl were dating, and then we immediately see him break it off with her. Same goes for Shadow Lass and Cos. Other Legionnaires were looking to be updated on the fact that those two are dating. And what about Monster Boy and Triplicate Girl? They seem close, but one of her selves also express an attraction for Jon. There's almost a gossipy vibe to this aspect of the book, and it really sells the college kids idea, if you ask me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't understand why it's seen as bad. Its not like its the first time a telepath read his mind.
    Me myself don't see any problem with Saturn Girl telepath status, but to be honest I'm uncomfortable with that pairing because I think Jon's mental age is not 17 yet. Volcano planet is not exactly the appropriate place to have mental growth. And combined with the culture on my upbringing that look down on kissing mouth to mouth before 18.
    It's just my personal reason though.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I honestly don't get why it's a big deal either, but I'm seeing a lot of pushback here and in reddit so I dunno. Just saying that it worked for me and why.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post

Now, this i understand. But, the problem with that is american comics does not have end games while mangas are created with end games in mind. I don't think even if jon and saturn girl got together it would matter in the long run. It would just be a possible end game. This is'nt like edward elric x winry with a build up, conclusion and definite payoff.
    Sure, you could argue that jon x kathy had build up and foreshadowing . But, it didn't go anywhere. Jon x imra happening.But,that largely can change in an instant.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-30-2020 at 03:47 PM.

I mean, I kind of expected something like this was inevitable with the age thing so that's not really my issue (although it feels more organic to me with some versions of Damian Wayne by comparison, but that's just me) although Saturn Girl is kind of too much the obvious choice in my opinion.

(Not really digging how Bendis seems to be handling Legion relationships but Bendis books tend to have these kinds of hookups).
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Now, this i understand. But, the problem with that is american comics does not have end games while mangas are created with end games in mind. I don't think even if jon and saturn girl got together it would matter in the long run. It would just be a possible end game. This is'nt like edward elric x winry with a build up, conclusion and definite payoff.
    Sure, you could argue that jon x kathy had build up and foreshadowing . But, it didn't go anywhere. Jon x imra happening.But,that largely can change in an instant.
    There are plenty of endgames in American comics, but they're more common with the bigger IP's.

Heck, the Legion has tons of Endgames but those were other continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There are plenty of endgames in American comics, but they're more common with the bigger IP's.

Heck, the Legion has tons of Endgames but those were other continuities.
    The only one i can think of reed Richards and susan storm. Sure, there is clark and lois. But, that's very rare. Even spiderman doesn't have an endgame. He is with whomever at different times.

Incredible Member

How does this even work when Saturn Girl always ends up with Lightning Lad. Having him hook up with Jon should create a paradox since one of there villains is the child of Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl.