Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I hope, the show does good by jon. Apparently there is going to be a line of him being born privileged. And they gave the lazer vision seen to jordan.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Not that I felt the line was all that good, but, frankly, is Jon in the comics somehow not born privileged?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-19-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Depends on what privilege means.

Clark Kent isn't Bruce Wayne, lol.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That's a shockingly narrow view of the concept of privilege you got there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeeeeah you don't have to be a billionaire to be privileged. And yeah. Jon is pretty privileged. Which isn't necessarily a negative thing. It is what it is. Up until recently, he had a perfect little life in a perfect little nuclear family in their perfect cute little farmhouse. Two successful parents who are the fucking definition of the "American Dream". No real hardships for the first ten years of his life. And that's without going into how he has superpowers and all the perks that come with having Superman for a father.

That's privileged?that's like saying americans are more privileged than north Koreans.A meaningless thing to say.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-19-2020 at 01:56 PM.

I'm sure to everyone in third world or dictator ruled nations, we would be considered privileged. Everyone's more privileged than somebody. It only becomes looked at as a negative thing when people don't recognize their privilege. Especially when comparing themselves to those who didn't get the same luxuries that they did.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's privileged?that's like saying americans are more privileged than north Koreans.A meaningless thing to say.
    Definitely not meaningless.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

How is it not meaningless? Its like saying a crocodile is more privileged than a cat cause a crocodile can bite harder. People aren't equal in everyway. I am not sure i would even want that kind of equality.it would be tyranny . Faulting bird for flying or fish for swimming is a stupid thing. Which is what the show is implying. Yeah! It does have negative connotation.The kid is called privileged for being athletic and I guess good looking. Well, being athletic takes work. I am sure being good looking does too. Financially, they aren't rich. Jon isn't given any opportunity other wouldn't in the same state.

Yeah, born privileged usually means that you're rich enough not to need to work. If the Planet went bust tomorrow, Clark and Lois would be in financial trouble. The Kents aren't privileged, unlike the Waynes. They had to earn their lifestyle.

I don't see what's so narrow minded about that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, born privileged usually means that you're rich enough not to need to work. If the Planet went bust tomorrow, Clark and Lois would be in financial trouble. The Kents aren't privileged, unlike the Waynes. They had to earn their lifestyle.

I don't see what's so narrow minded about that.
    In such as case, I could see Bruce stepping in, buying the company, keeping the staff, and turning it towards a more social media friendly news outlet. Or, even in a public act of kindness (and good PR), Luthor does something similar.

Mighty Member

Based on this conversation, it seems pretty clear that a lot of people hear don't understand what privilege is. It does not only apply to people who have enough money to not worry about earning a living, although that would count as an example of privilege.

Privilege is defined as a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group. That doesn't just mean those who are in a high socioeconomic class. Nor does it only apply to money. For example, I'm white so my race alone affords me certain privileges in my country. I don't get followed around by security in department stores. I don't get stopped and frisked by the police. I also grew up middle class, so while I may not have had as much economic privilege as someone who is upper class, I still had certain privilege. I never had to worry about whether they'd be food on the table for dinner. I never had to worry about where I was going to sleep at night. There are tons of different types of privilege a person can have, so when someone is called privileged that usually means that person is afforded certain benefits just by nature of who they are. Jon Kent would definitely qualify.

As to why the North Korean example is so ridiculous. Of course, a person in America, where they have the ability to vote and speak freely, has privileges that a person living in North Korea, where the government actively encourages its citizens to not learn to read and imprisons dissidents without trial, does not have. That, frankly, should be entirely obvious. That doesn't mean that Americans can't have hard lives, but they still get certain benefits just by nature of living in America.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Based on this conversation, it seems pretty clear that a lot of people hear don't understand what privilege is. It does not only apply to people who have enough money to not worry about earning a living, although that would count as an example of privilege.

Privilege is defined as a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group. That doesn't just mean those who are in a high socioeconomic class. Nor does it only apply to money. For example, I'm white so my race alone affords me certain privileges in my country. I don't get followed around by security in department stores. I don't get stopped and frisked by the police. I also grew up middle class, so while I may not have had as much economic privilege as someone who is upper class, I still had certain privilege. I never had to worry about whether they'd be food on the table for dinner. I never had to worry about where I was going to sleep at night. There are tons of different types of privilege a person can have, so when someone is called privileged that usually means that person is afforded certain benefits just by nature of who they are. Jon Kent would definitely qualify.

As to why the North Korean example is so ridiculous. Of course, a person in America, where they have the ability to vote and speak freely, has privileges that a person living in North Korea, where the government actively encourages its citizens to not learn to read and imprisons dissidents without trial, does not have. That, frankly, should be entirely obvious. That doesn't mean that Americans can't have hard lives, but they still get certain benefits just by nature of living in America.
    Again mate,you are blaming a cat for being a cat. are those institutional?your american, right? Does your state demand from you different behaviour towards certain races and religion(btw, countries like that exist), Does it do it itself ? I know you are going for the white privilege thing. See, the way i see it. It's just a way of flipping a perceived hierarchy(perceived hierarchy because the state doesn't allow it) . It's all about power. This concept is used to flip that perceived structure. Even then, it isn't trying to get rid of a hierarchy. It's creating a different one.if the former was the case, then atleast it would have been understandable . If this is institutionalised, it would just be tyranny because the hierarchy is perceived and non-institutional in the first place. True, some sections in society who are backwards need some quotas. These quotas are given only because its not a level playing field and to level it. That doesn't mean you start treating those who are on level playing field as "privileged" with all the negative Connotations .As far as i am concerned, this is just another friend-enemy distinction which is used in politics to divide and unite for gains. Its nothing but stupid rhetoric which doesn't solve a damn thing. Only makes things worse for everyone .

its blaming white person for being that. As far as i am aware, your state doesn't tolerate racism. If and when jon gets opportunities others don't ,on a same playing field then we will say he is privileged . The opportunity jon was getting in comics are because of inherent talent caused by genetics, because of his own ideas and struggles. If you start blaming anything for being that, it's the beginning of oppression.
    "a new born child bears no sin"
    racial profiling isn't institutional, as far as i am aware. And sometimes some classifications are necessary because of statistics, from data collected. It isn't because of race. It is same as the quotas given to the backward classes. There is a difference between reasonable classification and oppressive institutionalised racism or bigotry. Individual cases need to be dealt with like that.

Korean example isn't ridiculous. It's self explanatory. It's not just voting rights and freedom of speech.You get more resources, opportunities and freedoms when people are dieing in theocracies, of hunger, poverty... Etc. The mere idea of america is helpful . Without it many countries in the world wouldn't have chosen to be secular democratic Republics. Which is a far better choice.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-20-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Again mate,you are blaming a cat for being a cat. are those institutional?your american, right? Does your state demand from you different behaviour towards certain races and religion(btw, countries like that exist), Does it do it itself ? I know you are going for the white privilege thing. See, the way i see it. It's just a way of flipping a perceived hierarchy(perceived hierarchy because the state doesn't allow it) . It's all about power. This concept is used to flip that perceived structure. Even then, it isn't trying to get rid of a hierarchy. It's creating a different one.if the former was the case, then atleast it would have been understandable . If this is institutionalised, it would just be tyranny because the hierarchy is perceived and non-institutional in the first place. True, some sections in society who are backwards need some quotas. These quotas are given only because its not a level playing field and to level it. That doesn't mean you start treating those who are on level playing field as "privileged" with all the negative Connotations .As far as i am concerned, this is just another friend-enemy distinction which is used in politics to divide and unite for gains. Its nothing but stupid rhetoric which doesn't solve a damn thing. Only makes things worse for everyone .

its blaming white person for being that. As far as i am aware, your state doesn't tolerate racism. If and when jon gets opportunities others don't ,on a same playing field then we will say he is privileged . The opportunity jon was getting in comics are because of inherent talent caused by genetics, because of his own ideas and struggles. If you start blaming anything for being that, it's the beginning of oppression.
    "a new born child bears no sin"
    racial profiling isn't institutional, as far as i am aware. And sometimes some classifications are necessary because of statistics, from data collected. It isn't because of race. It is same as the quotas given to the backward classes. There is a difference between reasonable classification and oppressive institutionalised racism or bigotry. Individual cases need to be dealt with like that.

Korean example isn't ridiculous. It's self explanatory. It's not just voting rights and freedom of speech.You get more resources, opportunities and freedoms when people are dieing in theocracies, of hunger, poverty... Etc. The mere idea of america is helpful . Without it many countries in the world wouldn't have chosen to be secular democratic Republics. Which is a far better choice.
    You're using the word "blame" a lot, which misses the point entirely. People tend to get very defensive when words like "privilege" get thrown around, not realizing it isn't about blame.

This is simple reality. I have advantages others don't. Some people have more advantages then me. If we want to create a more understanding society, we have to be able to listen and respect each other. And that includes being aware of when we have privilege that other don't. Hell, the very concept of Superman is based on this. He's got tons of super powers, but he doesn't get defensive or goes into denial that others don't have those powers. He uses them to help people less fortunate than himself. Likewise, acknowledging the privilege I have can allow me to be a more understanding and considerate person than I would be otherwise. It's all about empathy for those less fortunate.

As for some other points you made, racial profiling is extremely institutional (which is why there have been so many examples of unarmed black individuals being killed by law enforcement), and with the Korea thing you are absolutely proving my point. Citizens of North Korean face horrible oppression. Americans don't experience the same issues. That's an element of privilege. It's not about assigning blame. It's about acknowledging "Hey, I have opportunities here in America that I wouldn't get in other places."
    Currently Reading: