Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m fine with people who want that getting a book. Don’t have any problem with the new Super Sons book existing. It’s just not what I want from the mainline Superbooks. Hopefully those of you who want that will enjoy it. But I can’t support in any way a return to that mindset dominating the entire Superbooks again. Not when there’s so many ambitious hard hitting other books out there right now that make me wish Superman was one of them. Not when Future State looks to be the most exciting the Superbooks have been for a long time. Not when I’ve enjoyed Bendis voice for Clark far more than Tomasi’s.
    I don't see how Super Sons has any bearing on the main Superman book to be honest beyond featuring Clark's son and maybe the occasional appearance of Clark. I feel like any comic book line should have a good variety of stories. Heck, any comic title, really.

Bendis didn't write the Super Sons well together in my opinion and basically killed the pairing as far as I'm concerned, so I think having a book that might feature the dynamic and relationship again and depicted better is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see how Super Sons has any bearing on the main Superman book to be honest beyond featuring Clark's son and maybe the occasional appearance of Clark. I feel like any comic book line should have a good variety of stories. Heck, any comic title, really.

Bendis didn't write the Super Sons well together in my opinion and basically killed the pairing as far as I'm concerned, so I think having a book that might feature the dynamic and relationship again and depicted better is ideal.
    I feel like you and I are on the same page? Super Sons is a neat little book for people who hate Bendis and want things to go back to the Rebirth era. No problem with it existing, I just don’t want that same principle applied to the entire Superman line. I don’t think Bendis writes a good Damian so it’s not like I don’t understand why people want this. It’s the idea of undoing everything done with Jon so he can go back to being the way he was during Rebirth in the mainline that I can’t agree with. I think Jon in Future State sounds awesome and exciting.

I'm a sap for family stories. So I loved almost all of Tomasi's Superman run. But I definitely see why it got all that flack. As much as I enjoyed it, I wouldn't want a return to that, even if Jon was put back to normal. Though I do still think they should take the opportunity to make Action a straight up Super Family book. The same way Tec was for the Batfamily during Rebirth.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    He said many. Not everyone.
    my mistake.Must have not read it properly.I agree with @vordan superman as a franchise can't go back to tomasi's farmland stories.Superman is the champion of the oppressed.The guy is a working class gladiator for the little guy.The "aw!shucks!" peter parker like mentality can work for spiderman.But,clark ain't peter.On the flipside,jon can have his wholesome adventures as a kid or superboy.But,as superman and man of tomorrow.The character would need to embody the future.

I'm a sap for family stories. So I loved almost all of Tomasi's Superman run. But I definitely see why it got all that flack. As much as I enjoyed it, I wouldn't want a return to that, even if Jon was put back to normal. Though I do still think they should take the opportunity to make Action a straight up Super Family book. The same way Tec was for the Batfamily during Rebirth.
    I agree with this! Action being the Superfamily book sound alike a great idea. I also wouldn’t mind a mainline Super Sons book written by Tomasi where he wrote a kid version of Jon and Damian. I just don’t want Tomasi leading the line again, and I don’t want the last two years to get nuked, that’s how Superman became a mess in the first place.

I’m not wild about the idea of Kid Jon and Teen Jon existing at the same time, but thinking it over I think maybe it could work. If I was handling that I would say that Teen Jon is Kid Jon from the future. He was trapped in that volcano but it was more like three weeks than years. He was rescued by his Teen self who had come back in time as part of a time loop for a specific purpose, namely changing the timeline to avoid the Jon Kent who went bad as seen in Super Sons of Tomorrow. He masqueraded as his kid self in order to change things, like pushing his dad to found the United Planets and basically get off his butt and be proactive. Teen Jon returns to his future and finds it’s become the Future State timeline, showing he was successful.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-24-2020 at 12:02 PM.

I'm not against a Super-Family book in principle, just not sure how I'm confident in writing it.
    I feel like you and I are on the same page? Super Sons is a neat little book for people who hate Bendis and want things to go back to the Rebirth era. No problem with it existing, I just don’t want that same principle applied to the entire Superman line. I don’t think Bendis writes a good Damian so it’s not like I don’t understand why people want this. It’s the idea of undoing everything done with Jon so he can go back to being the way he was during Rebirth in the mainline that I can’t agree with. I think Jon in Future State sounds awesome and exciting.
    I mean, it's not like Jon in Future State necessarily has anything to do with how old Jon is now when he exists within a time-skip. He couldn't be that way in the mainline anyway.

But I personally have really mixed thoughts about current Jon so I'm probably biased about it.

a superman family team would probably be a lot more powerful than the justice league, I don't know if its an easy sell. Then again so is the Flash family.

I’m not wild about the idea of Kid Jon and Teen Jon existing at the same time, but thinking it over I think maybe it could work. If I was handling that I would say that Teen Jon is Kid Jon from the future. He was trapped in that volcano but it was more like three weeks than years. He was rescued by his Teen self who had come back in time as part of a time loop for a specific purpose, namely changing the timeline to avoid the Jon Kent who went bad as seen in Super Sons of Tomorrow. He masqueraded as his kid self in order to change things, like pushing his dad to found the United Planets and basically get off his butt and be proactive. Teen Jon returns to his future and finds it’s become the Future State timeline, showing he was successful.
    That...actually sounds really fucking awesome.

Tomasi and the return of the real Super Sons? Hell yeah! Even if its in its own continuity, this is a plus.

I'm still of the mind that "Teen Jon" is just a plant by Ultraman to pave the way for the Criminal Syndicate. And that real Jon is stuck on Earth 3. Otherwise Teen Jon would have a number of issues after being trapped in a volcano for 7 years and emotionally and mentally tortured by his father's doppelganger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not against a Super-Family book in principle, just not sure how I'm confident in writing it.

I mean, it's not like Jon in Future State necessarily has anything to do with how old Jon is now when he exists within a time-skip. He couldn't be that way in the mainline anyway.

But I personally have really mixed thoughts about current Jon so I'm probably biased about it.
    Yang could do it. He wrote a great team book with New Super-Man and I enjoyed his Terrifics.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    a superman family team would probably be a lot more powerful than the justice league, I don't know if its an easy sell. Then again so is the Flash family.
    You couldn’t set it in Metropolis, but you could make it the cosmic book. Have the Superfamily be members of the United Planets Superwatch, have them out there exploring the cosmos, going into uncharted areas like how Superman did with Synmar, have them act as ambassadors convincing new planets to join the UP. Stuff like that is why while I understand Bendis has turned a lot of you off, I don’t want to lose so many of the concepts he invented. Jon playing a role in helping to found the United Planets would be a cool thing to bring up in a Superfamily book that aims to get new planets to join up, regardless of whether it’s Kid or Teen Jon.

Astonishing Member

All I want is a return to the idea that Jon gets to grow up normally. Which would result in both the lighthearted and cute stuff in Super Sons, but it would also leave room for more serious moments of growth and development that could come in other books. Like I've said before, kid Jon was in a very unique position. One that hadn't really been explored all that well since the original Teen Titans.

He would have been a very rare perspective of someone growing up while also taking on the role of a hero. That comes with all the good moments, like Super Sons, and all the bad like his incident with Manchester Black or getting lost in space with his insane grandfather. That's in addition to all the ups and downs that naturally come with growing up for everyone. Actually having a child hero and grow and develop over time the way Dick, Donna, Wally, and Roy did was what I looked forward to the most from Jon. Damian too, to an extent, but more so with Jon since he's closer to a normal kid.

I wasn't invested in this character JUST for the happy go lucky Super Sons stuff.
    Honestly, I really doubt Jon has the potential to grow. After all, DC doesn't want JL members to become old.

If the Omniverse thing is true, it is more possible Jon could grow due to loose continuity.

Astonishing Member

The thing is Bendis didn't do anything with Jon.

He gives Jon the background of him being trapped in a volcan for years, but it is totally ignored.

Kid Jon will likely become in Future State Jon even without that story, since this doesn't really affect Jon's personality.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-24-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Yang could do it. He wrote a great team book with New Super-Man and I enjoyed his Terrifics.
    I love how we suggest Yang for everything .

It'd be interesting if a book of people with similar powersets would be a change in terms of writing a team book.
    You couldn’t set it in Metropolis, but you could make it the cosmic book. Have the Superfamily be members of the United Planets Superwatch, have them out there exploring the cosmos, going into uncharted areas like how Superman did with Synmar, have them act as ambassadors convincing new planets to join the UP. Stuff like that is why while I understand Bendis has turned a lot of you off, I don’t want to lose so many of the concepts he invented. Jon playing a role in helping to found the United Planets would be a cool thing to bring up in a Superfamily book that aims to get new planets to join up, regardless of whether it’s Kid or Teen Jon.
    Oh yeah, Jon totally stole the show from his dad on that one. I completely forgot about it .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The thing is Bendis didn't do anything with Jon.

He gives Jon the background to be trapped in a volcán for years, but it is totally ignored.

Kid ñ Jon will likely become in Future State Jon even without that story, since this doesn't really affect Jon's personality.
    I just read DC Nation, Future State Jon is Legion Jon after he returns from his time in the future.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I just read DC Nation, Future State Jon is Legion Jon after he returns from his time in the future.
    Really? Do you have a link to where you read it?