Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

My hope is that one day the Justice league fights someone so powerful that they are about to lose so that Jon can get his Teen Gohan moment!

Quote Originally Posted by ARIARAIDEN View Post
    My hope is that one day the Justice league fights someone so powerful that they are about to lose so that Jon can get his Teen Gohan moment!
    Hey if he is going to be the new superman by the end of the year we might see that soon, although I think it might be fair to say we got that a little with DCeased.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Jon has always been written to be a mini Clark to some extent (except from some perspective) whether by Tomasi or Bendis. At this stage the only gripe worth voicing is how very little he's resembles/d his mother. Both writers could/ve done better.
    In Superman, maybe. But in Super Sons, there were times where he was definitely channeling his inner Lois. You gotta have some attitude in you to match Damian's sass and he damn sure wasn't getting that from Clark XD

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean, I don't necessarily see it that way. Yes he will in fact be a younger superman but that is kind of because that is who he is technically speaking. He is the son of superman so he is gonna look a lot like him, he's also been raised by Superman's sense of moral and values so there is gonna be a lot of similarities when Jon becomes Superman. However they have a different history.the present or the future is no history at all.

Jon is gonna be Superman in a world where he grew up raised by Superman, had a best friend in both Damian and Kathy, knew the Teen titans but sad he didn't get to join, went to earth 3 and had space adventures with grandpa, and then yes did join the Legion of Superheroes. There are some surface similarities to be sure but I do think that there is enough there under the surface to make a difference in character for Jon when he supposedly becomes the new Superman.
    He is son of superman, not duplicate superman.His history has been irrelevant since his return, accept for damian that too was because pushback against supersons cancellation. His space adventures are not referenced much. In space he met green lanterns, lobo.. Etc. Did jon have anything to show for that? Nope.Has kathy, boyzarro or maya ever been referred to again? No.A history that doesn't impact

Jon is written as just hollow superboy archetype. His morality and values being copy paste Clark's is nonsense. He had trouble accepting thing's, even his father's value. He had always questioned things. Black dawn was a thing.He didn't just accept Clark's values.He was mischievous. He did what he thought was fun. I would say it again. A grown jon should be more closer to dick grayson or wally west than clark kent. Why? Jon is a legacy. He isn't supposed to be a paragon of truth and justice. He is just a kid with wierd powers, who goes out for fun and excitement. Trying to do the right thing at the same time. Jon wasn't a boyscout either. He wanted others to think of him as this sweet little boy. But, he can be a jerk. Just ask damian. Unlike clark who never opens his mouth against bruce. Jon had no problem with being a superdick.He has no trouble bullying his bully. Clark has given that up. Jon now has it, so taking that away is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm also not sure why people think Jon following Clark's footsteps is new.

Raised on a farm by a kindly couple? Struggling to figure out his powers? Always sneaking off to get into mischief and/or save lives? Hangs out with other costumed heroes his age? That all sounds like Clark's childhood too.

Jon has always been, in large part, a reflection of Clark. And that's his father, so no huge surprise. Jon has never *just* been a little Clark, and he's not now.

And now, yeah Jon is still in large part a reflection of Clark. But just as before, there's plenty of differences too. I don't think the ratio has really changed that much.
    That's superboy archetype. That's is only the base. But, jon's hometown wasn't normal. His redheaded childhood friend was an alien with telepathic abilities. His dad and mom were spys and superheroes. Clark was never like fanboying over his dad.(jimmy was).Jon was never an outsider,clark was. He was surrounded by people as wierd as him. He had people he shared dreams with and related to them. Jon being based superboy archetype is one thing. But, not adding layer or differential layers is a problem. Clark's costumed friends sought him out for his reputations. Jon was rejected because of his. Clark's powers never was a curse to him. Jon's is. He killed his cat the first time it became a active. He went nuclear one time. He was used by people to get a hit on his father.
    Jon wanted to be a titan. Clark never wanted to be legionnaire. Jon wanted that and didn't get it. Clark without wanting it got it.
    This logic can be applied to say postcrisis Superman and allmight or hyperion are the same. No they aren't. They are just based on the same archetype. It's like saying moses and superman are the same characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIARAIDEN View Post
    You do know that gohan moment was gohan sacrificing his own morality ans integrity for the sake of protecting people. He chose to fight and end cell. He gave up pacifism because it was only causing death and destruction . I don't think it will fly for the superman crowd. Because they are too wound up with superman's code and him being a paragon. I would love for jon to go that route, though .

I personally want jon to forge his own.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-08-2020 at 11:36 PM.

The other thing i hope for Jon is that he bonds more with Lois in the future.Given that some artists draw Lois more youthful and Jon being older i feel that there is some potential for good Mother-son duo for some dangerous Journalist activties!
    In the past there were always some good interactions but were cut short due bad writing(Bendis).With a good writer i would be very hopeful that this could happen.

By ottertheauthor

Bad Grandfathers

See now I’m surprised that DC actually had some level of restraint not to have Batman and Superman’s villainous Fathers team up together. I mean if we look at it they were on earth at the exact same time, both for the purpose of stopping of getting in their kids way. Weird when you think about it but kind of glad it didn’t happen in a way.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Has kathy, boyzarro or maya ever been referred to again? No.
    Yes. They showed up in The Terrifics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes. They showed up in The Terrifics.
    But not in the Superman comics.

See now I’m surprised that DC actually had some level of restraint not to have Batman and Superman’s villainous Fathers team up together. I mean if we look at it they were on earth at the exact same time, both for the purpose of stopping of getting in their kids way. Weird when you think about it but kind of glad it didn’t happen in a way.
    They did as individual characters. As for restraints, well neither the batman/superman book nor the Supersons were being published when bendis took over. So, chances of that were already low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    But not in the Superman comics.
    I don't think bendis has read supersons or tomasi's run at all. He might have gotten notes. That's it.He basically said, superfamily was just doing normal stuff.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-08-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Well it’s not 5G but looks like we get an adult Jon as Superman. Everyone, prepare yourself for DCeased 2.

C9053384-83EE-4935-866B-2611E9B790AB.jpg

Tom Taylor Twitter confirmation
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TomTaylor...55048445026304
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-10-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    Words to live by.

Well it’s not 5G but looks like we get an adult Jon as Superman. Everyone, prepare yourself for DCeased 2.

I hate that he looks exactly like Clark

This looks like one of the better alternate Superman costumes.

Though I hate zombie fiction so like with the first DCeased I'll be skipping this.

I can at least get behind this approach to aging Jon up to adulthood and replace his father as Superman. It's an alternate timeline, Jon's dad is now an Anti Life zombie and the survivors of Earth 2 need a new symbol to be inspired by. That at least works better than what 5G is planning.