Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The original sin of Bendis is this, he aged up jon. Yet, after all these year jon doesn't know how to use a sword.After all the begging and pleading to learn to use a sword. He doesn't do it. That's blasphemy.if they are going to make this guy future trunks. He would be one lame trunks. A trunks without a sword. Smh! It's not like the superman sword doesn't exist.It's part of the mythos use it. Clark didn't want to learn fencing, jon did.
    Clark gave up the sword. Jon on the other hand is welcome to use it.

Just change the design of the sword and we are good to go.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-29-2020 at 11:24 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Didn't he only ever talk about swords with Damian like once? where is "all the begging and pleading" you're talking about coming from?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah maybe I'm missing something but I only remember him mentioning wanting to learn how to sword fight once. Not exactly begging and pleading but hey, if he wants to learn, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Didn't he only ever talk about swords with Damian like once? where is "all the begging and pleading" you're talking about coming from?
    That was just a hyperbole. And it the post was just fun. It wasn't meant to be serious. Concept of Jon having a sword isn't,though.i guess, it went over people's head. I was just going along with the mood of the conversation.

Lol It's cool, I probably shoulda guessed. Honestly, Jon primarily using a sword is a pretty cool concept. Though right now, any concept that gives him something unique would be more than welcome.

No worries, I just didn't catch that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The original sin of Bendis is this, he aged up jon. Yet, after all these year jon doesn't know how to use a sword.After all the begging and pleading to learn to use a sword. He doesn't do it. That's blasphemy.if they are going to make this guy future trunks. He would be one lame trunks. A trunks without a sword. Smh! It's not like the superman sword doesn't exist.It's part of the mythos use it. Clark didn't want to learn fencing, jon did.
    Clark gave up the sword. Jon on the other hand is welcome to use it.

Just change the design of the sword and we are good to go.
    You forgot the bowl haircut.

I won't go into detail because I don't want to derail the thread, but having reread some stuff, I genuinely think there's a possibility Bendis doing a modern version of the Sword of Superman story using Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah maybe I'm missing something but I only remember him mentioning wanting to learn how to sword fight once. Not exactly begging and pleading but hey, if he wants to learn, go for it.
    Damian did teach him some fighting moves he used against the Injustice Gang in Adventures of the Super Son. I thought that was a nice payoff for seemingly innocent banter at the end of a story.

I won't go into detail because I don't want to derail the thread, but having reread some stuff, I genuinely think there's a possibility Bendis doing a modern version of the Sword of Superman story using Jon.
    I was thinking more of it being part of jon's character and be part of who he is. Like, conner's cooling glasses and jacket. They should also change the name of the sword to something like "the blade of el", earthlings call it "sword of superman" and i would even make it so that the el insignia came from the sword of creation. Ofcourse, the pa kent dreaming of the symbol can also stay. Jon isn't exactly an el. He is a kent. He doesn't have a kryptonIan name. Him having to struggle with the sword will be awesome. Sword will be like jon's kyubii.A sentient being sick of people trying to tame it, control it and use it as weapon. A sword that does not wishes to cut.

And i would also have the ending of the original story intact. The sword wanted clark to let go of it. It continues its journey of the universe and then he run into the brick wall that is Jonathan kent. I would also make twist. Jon is totally unworthy of the sword. It's twist on arthurian legends.clark is worthy, yet he let's it go. Jon is unworthy and wants the sword. Ofcourse, this is a postive character arc for jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You forgot the bowl haircut.
    Guilty for not mentioning the most awesome hair.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-30-2020 at 11:45 AM.

All I'll say is that I'm fairly sure the original story will not be in continuity, and, in my opinion, I think the whole thing will be inspired by that story and possibly the black suit Spider-Man story. A few things have leading me to feel that way.

That's assuming I'm not totally off with my theory of course.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Lot of swords going around these days...Hulking, the X-Men, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jason Todd has a pair of magic swords too (though he's had those for awhile now).

All I'll say is that I'm fairly sure the original story will not be in continuity, and, in my opinion, I think the whole thing will be inspired by that story and possibly the black suit Spider-Man story. A few things have leading me to feel that way.

That's assuming I'm not totally off with my theory of course.
    If you ask me, this story makes el insignia more sense. The sword has it and its legendary. Its been traveling the universe since, the beginning of existence. People across the universe used the insignia, the symbol and gave it different names. We couldd do even an inverse, that s symbol in the alphabets came from the sword symbol.That is, if we are stuck with the kryptonIan connection for the symbol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Magical sword thing is a troupe. Even that superman story acknowledges it. The sword basically takes clark to a library and has him read a about Arthur.

For some reason, none of the superfamily members have swords. They mostly have used hammers, sheilds.. Etc. Not counting alpha centurion.

I also want jon to have another mascot with him. Krypto is great but, that is his dad's. If baka isn't being used then he will be awesome. Ofcourse,any other kryptonIan beasts will do as well.legacy should be about being different and with same spirit. Jon as a character has lots of potential and a whole of lore to pull from. There is the icebird, metaleater beasts, leech lizard.. Etc. There Is also tgat planet sized creatue in superman 141.Jon was great with hellhounds of apocalypse.

Essentially, jon is going to take a lot of inspiration from heman, spiderman, wally west.. Etc and pull from the old lore of superman . That would have been my ideal grown up jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Assuming the sword will have the same origin as it used to may prove to be an inappropriate assumption. Assuming my prediction is true, I'm thinking that the sword may end up being a sister artifact to Rogol Zaar's ax. Similar to the ax the sword seemed to have a will all its own, and it threatened to overwhelm the holder with it's power and influence. That's primarily why I'm assuming this will function on some level somewhat like a black suit arc for Jon.

And I'm actually assuming Jor-El either had a hand in the sword's creation, or he's linked to how Jon will get it. I'm thinking this mainly because 1) Jor-El has at least 10 years of unaccounted for time spent looking for Jon that hasn't been addressed 2) when he returns he brings with him a suit made using "old Kryptonian portable technology" seemingly confirming that he traveled to Krypton's past 3) he knows of Rogol Zaar's ax, and he knows how to deactivate it (as shown issue 12 of Superman) 4) we still don't know what deals Jor-El made to save Jon.

It's possible that Jor-El "promised" the boy to the sword, like in some sort of pact, in order to find him. You know what? Maybe this has something to do with the Lords of Chaos and Order? If you recall, back in issue 7 in a moment of vulnerability, Jor-El talks about how the universe is "chaos" and he asks "what do you call those of us who have dedicated our lives to cataloging in...organizing it..trying to make sense of it--". He all but describes the struggle between the universal Lords of Chaos and Order there.

And what's even more interesting is the fact that over in the Legion book we already have two representatives of the Lords of Chaos and Order: Mordru, and Doctor Fate. And over in Superman issue 23 and 24 we're about to get a Doctor Fate story and the solicit makes a point to remind us that Fate is an agent of the Lords of Order. So with that in mind, when Legion of Super-Heroes issue 6's solicit says that Jon will have a surprising connection to either Gold Lantern, Monster Boy, or the 31st century's Doctor Fate, I'm incline to believe that Doctor Fate is our connection. I'm actually thinking that the new Doctor Fate joined the Legion specifically to function as the Merlin to Jon's Arthur. Jor-El may have made a deal with the Lords of Order to find Jon in the infinity of time and space. And conceptually that's cool because it's almost like Jor-El as a scientist praying to the idea of reason and order.

It all sounds pretty out there, and I didn't want to take up space in the thread with it, but there you go anyway.