Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Does jon even need the superboy title? All it does is prompt writers to write him as generic superboy as fallback. Jon shouldn't have any superhero name or a costume or a codename or patrolling . His costume at best should be the hoddie or tshirt/jacket or something casual with the s. That would be different. Superheroes and their dogmas dominate the comics industry. The kid could diverge from all that nonsense . He should be treated like other old pulp action heroes or shonen protagonists, than a generic "superhero". It's unimaginative to have jon be stuck with a legion. When the kid should be with the blackhawks, tex Thompson, zatara or something.It would have been ironic to have jon be not a superhero when his father created the superhero boom.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-18-2020 at 08:14 AM.

From a recent textless preview for Dead Planet #1, older Bat Damian and Superman Jon.

PW5uqopZeJQaDuFAMNBnGd-1920-80.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Does jon even need the superboy title? All it does is prompt writers to write him as generic superboy as fallback. Jon shouldn't have any superhero name or a costume or a codename or patrolling . His costume at beast should be the hoddie or tshirt/jacket or something casual with the s. That would be different. Superheroes and their dogmas dominate the comics industry. The kid could diverge from all that nonsense . He should be treated like other old pulp action heroes or shonen protagonists, than a generic "superhero". It's unimaginative to have jon be stuck with a legion. When the kid should be with the blackhawks, tex Thompson, zatara or something.It would have been ironic to have jon be not a superhero when his father created the superhero boom.
    You say generic like there have been 5 superboys

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    You say generic like there have been 5 superboys
    Well, there's Clark, Pre-Crisis Superboy-Prime, Punk Kon, Johns Kon, New 52 Kon, New 52 Jon Lane Kent, so technically... XD

But does that really matter? Did you have the same concerns every time Bruce got a new Robin? I think it's great that Clark has a kid and can really impart his experiences to someone who will take them to heart and grow with them. Maybe now, Jon and Conner will be treated as brothers and have defined roles in the Superman family!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    But does that really matter? Did you have the same concerns every time Bruce got a new Robin? I think it's great that Clark has a kid and can really impart his experiences to someone who will take them to heart and grow with them. Maybe now, Jon and Conner will be treated as brothers and have defined roles in the Superman family!
    Some people (not me personally, but some) feel there's been 3, even 4 too many Robins.

And no, I'm not counting Steph's "blink and you miss it" time or Carrie Kelly in the Drak Knight series.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Yes, Characters need to have a draw.There is nothing special about another superboy doing whatever superman or superboy does. Jon is a better draw as himself, than as a superboy. He doesn't need a code name. Heck! I don't particularly think he needs to be part of great superman dynasty. Jon being royalty is bad for me. The kid building himself from scratch is much more exciting . Finally, i don't like the treatment given as "classic" superboy or superman to jon.why would anyone need a repeat telecast of clark kent or conner or chris?As for imparting wisdom, the kid is 17 and has seen hell. The idea that he needs his dad is bizarre . Jon's appeal as the underdog, the little guy and jimmy-esque figure of the family is gone, Which is also bad. Conner and jon shouldn't be on equal terms. Jon should be someone punching up and trying to prove himself.
    The kid being this rather than with armour, legion.. Etc would have been more cool.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-18-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Yes, Characters need to have a draw.There is nothing special about another superboy doing whatever superman or superboy does. Jon is a better draw as himself, than as a superboy. He doesn't need a code name. Heck! I don't particularly think he needs to be part of great superman dynasty. Jon being royalty is bad for me. The kid building himself from scratch is much more exciting . Finally, i don't like the treatment given as "classic" superboy or superman to jon.why would anyone need a repeat telecast of clark kent or conner or chris?As for imparting wisdom, the kid is 17 and has seen hell. The idea that he needs his dad is bizarre . Jon's appeal as the underdog, the little guy and jimmy-esque figure of the family is gone, Which is also bad. Conner and jon shouldn't be on equal terms. Jon should be someone punching up and trying to prove himself.
    The kid being this rather than with armour, legion.. Etc would have been more cool.
    I like kid Jon as Superboy. I think it is a good identity for the character.

I've never seen Jon as the underdog of the Superman family (and I don't like Jimmy Olsen). As a kid, he has always been pretty powerful.

I like Jon due to his cheerful and ongoing personality. However, Bendis doesn't seem to know how to write this kind of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I like kid Jon as Superboy. I think it is a good identity for the character.

I've never seen Jon as the underdog of the Superman family (and I don't like Jimmy Olsen). As a kid, he has always been pretty powerful.

I like Jon due to his cheerful and ongoing personality. However, Bendis doesn't seem to know how to write this kind of character.
    He had potential.But,that's different from being an powerful. He was below everyone, unless he was amped up.

Yeah, with the exception of his "Solar Flare", Jon always felt like he was only scratching the surface of what kryptonians (particularly Clark, Conner, and Kara) are capable of. Which makes sense. He's a child. I wouldn't necessarily call him an underdog though. Because that makes it seem like there actually is some kind of competition between him and the other Supers when there really isn't.

That said, it really is a shame that we didn't really get any interactions between him, Kara, Conner while he was still...himself. Jon never really struck me as the type of person who'd feel compelled to prove themselves (at least not in the same way Damian did when he was first introduced) but seeing him, as a child, having like...one moment of insecurity and going to Supergirl or the previous Superboy for guidance could have been really nice. Overall, I just really wish they had brought Conner back before Bendis got his hands on him. They'd been setting up some kind of return for Conner back in the early days of Rebirth and I just really wish we could have found out how that was gonna go and if he'd have been involved in Tomasi's Superman books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah, with the exception of his "Solar Flare", Jon always felt like he was only scratching the surface of what kryptonians (particularly Clark, Conner, and Kara) are capable of. Which makes sense. He's a child. I wouldn't necessarily call him an underdog though. Because that makes it seem like there actually is some kind of competition between him and the other Supers when there really isn't.

That said, it really is a shame that we didn't really get any interactions between him, Kara, Conner while he was still...himself. Jon never really struck me as the type of person who'd feel compelled to prove themselves (at least not in the same way Damian did when he was first introduced) but seeing him, as a child, having like...one moment of insecurity and going to Supergirl or the previous Superboy for guidance could have been really nice. Overall, I just really wish they had brought Conner back before Bendis got his hands on him. They'd been setting up some kind of return for Conner back in the early days of Rebirth and I just really wish we could have found out how that was gonna go and if he'd have been involved in Tomasi's Superman books.
    Jon learned MUCH! faster how to use his powers than Clark and Conner.
    During Graduation Day Conner used first time Heat Vision as he was posssessed by Jericho, but he himself couldnt use it.
    He learned how to use FREEZE BREATH AFTER his resurrection.

I am also not sure who of them is AT THE MOMENT more powerful, because Conner seems to have lost much of his history.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Jon learned MUCH! faster how to use his powers than Clark and Conner.
    During Graduation Day Conner used first time Heat Vision as he was posssessed by Jericho, but he himself couldnt use it.
    He learned how to use FREEZE BREATH AFTER his resurrection.

I am also not sure who of them is AT THE MOMENT more powerful, because Conner seems to have lost much of his history.
    As said, potential and power are two different thing. He also got hurt pretty easily as well. Heck! Damian has punched him . The kid was playing the role of jimmy albeit in a different way. It's a shame jimmy doesn't have any of his wierd gimmicks anymore. Jimmy and jon duo would have been more appealing for me.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

As said, potential and power are two different thing. He also got hurt pretty easily as well. Heck! Damian has punched him . The kid was playing the role of jimmy albeit in a different way. It's a shame jimmy doesn't have any of his wierd gimmicks anymore. Jimmy and jon duo would have been more appealing for me.
    Considering the fact that Bruce also often punch Clark and doesn't destroy his fist, instead Superman gets knocked on the floor, I think Supes has some vulnerability against Bats XD. But I agree that he gets hurt quite easily, like when he was drown and Damian saved him to reach surface. I don't think other Supes have problem against drowning. He was still a child that time though, so there's many potential for him to developing his power (that's why ageing-up Jon is a BAD IDEA BENDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Considering the fact that Bruce also often punch Clark and doesn't destroy his fist, instead Superman gets knocked on the floor, I think Supes has some vulnerability against Bats XD. But I agree that he gets hurt quite easily, like when he was drown and Damian saved him to reach surface. I don't think other Supes have problem against drowning. He was still a child that time though, so there's many potential for him to developing his power (that's why ageing-up Jon is a BAD IDEA BENDIS)
    Actually, when bruce punches clark. Clark moves his head enough, so that bruce doesn't hurt his fist. With damian punching jon, Jon was knocked back.

Mighty Member

Actually, when bruce punches clark. Clark moves his head enough, so that bruce doesn't hurt his fist. With damian punching jon, Jon was knocked back.
    If I remember right than this was Jon as KID or?
    He had problems with his invulnerability during these days.