Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He calls her cousin kara, right?
    He used to. But Bendis had him call her Aunt Kara. After his age up, they're now practically the same age, so it doesn't make sense.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He used to. But Bendis had him call her Aunt Kara. After his age up, they're now practically the same age, so it doesn't make sense.
    Yeeeeeah, it's not uncommon for people to call cousins who are WAY older than them "aunt" or "uncle". We do that in my family. But even before the age-up, the gap between those two wasn't big enough for him to have to do that. Isn't she like 20? Even if Kara was actually his aunt and not his cousin, that'd still be kinda unnecessary. That's one of the reasons my oldest nephew doesn't call my younger sister "aunt" (though, unlike the ten years between Jon and Kara, those two are only three years apart)
    Last edited by Blue22; 11-08-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeeeeeah, it's not uncommon for people to call cousins who are WAY older than them "aunt" or "uncle". We do that in my family. But even before the age-up, the gap between those two wasn't big enough for him to have to do that. Isn't she like 20? Even if Kara was actually his aunt and not his cousin, that'd still be kinda unnecessary. That's one of the reasons my oldest nephew doesn't call my younger sister "aunt" (though, unlike the ten years between Jon and Kara, those two are only three years apart)
    20? Unless I missed something MAJOR, she should still be in high school. Maybe senior year.

She might be. I don't know. It feels like every time I see some iteration of Kara, she's either a teenager or a young adult. If she is a teenager right now then that just makes aged up Jon even more redundant to the Superman mythos. As if Conner wasn't enough of a reason.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

She is supposed to be barbara Gordon's age. Isn't she?

I saw her new 52 incarnation as high school age- like 15-18. So she would be a year or two older in the rebirth era.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I saw her new 52 incarnation as high school age- like 15-18. So she would be a year or two older in the rebirth era.
    Her Rebirth series, before being relaunched, she was in high school.

Either way, Jon has zero reason to call her "Aunt Kara" lol

Either way, Jon has zero reason to call her "Aunt Kara" lol
    Pretty much. I have a number of cousins basically a generation older than me, and I wouldn't call them "uncle" or "aunt". Not to mention, I'm also about a generation older than a few as well, and not called "uncle" by any of them.

It's a case by case thing with both sides of my family. If a cousin is old enough to be my parent, more often than not, I'm gonna call them "aunt" or "uncle". Especially when I was a kid. Calling an adult by just their first name was something you did not do. I dunno. Maybe that's just a black family thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    She is supposed to be barbara Gordon's age. Isn't she?
    No. She's always been younger than Babs. Pre-Crisis (early 1980s), Kara would've been in her early 20s, and Babs, late 20s (she was in her 30s in the 90s and 2000s as Oracle). Kara was rebooted - eventually - post-Crisis, so Babs was still just as old but Kara was a teenager. After Flashpoint, Babs was 21, while Kara in Rebirth went to high school, so they were about five years apart there. Around 2 years ago, Supergirl changed creative team after a hiatus and was no longer shown in school, and Babs also seems to have aged up around when Dick was shot and she got her current costume. The age difference is still somewhere from five to ten years though, like pre-Crisis.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    20? Unless I missed something MAJOR, she should still be in high school. Maybe senior year.
    She should be in college, tired of her being a teenager, Superman got married and has child she cannot still be in HS

It's a case by case thing with both sides of my family. If a cousin is old enough to be my parent, more often than not, I'm gonna call them "aunt" or "uncle". Especially when I was a kid. Calling an adult by just their first name was something you did not do. I dunno. Maybe that's just a black family thing lol
    Yeah, I did that with some grown first cousins (once removed), too. But Kara, due to all her reboots, was less than 10 years older than Jon. Maybe only 5-6 years older. And I quit calling mine "aunt" after I was grown. Though Jon's only a teenager last we saw.

No. She's always been younger than Babs. Pre-Crisis (early 1980s), Kara would've been in her early 20s, and Babs, late 20s (she was in her 30s in the 90s and 2000s as Oracle).
    Definitely true on the first part. Per the second - like many things in comics, aging is unclear. Per early post-COIE, Barbara is either three or six years older than Dick (contradictory info in two different stories). I'm not sure she ever made it to her 30s. Then de-aging came later in the post-COIE era. I hate the de-aging for her (and Dick, and her being deaged to Dick's age) very much.

She should be in college, tired of her being a teenager, Superman got married and has child she cannot still be in HS
    Do most people prefer her Dick's generation (as originally introduced), several years older than Dick (per the late 1960s/1970s) and so between Dick and Barbara, or Tim's age (per post-COIE)? I'm not even sure where she is now, since some of the Bat characters got aged up, but I'm not sure if Tim did. Mind you, I think if Dick's generation or older, college should be in the rearview mirror. If Damian's 13/14, then Dick should be at least late 20s. Though Superman could still be married and have a kid when she was in high school, since he was always 10 years older than her (which is larger age-gap than Jon and Kara, and she didn't call him "uncle").
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-11-2020 at 06:12 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Future state solicits
    https://www.ign.com/articles/future-...-february-2021

Goldenage superman and jon kent in the same pic. I never thought i would see that in a million years.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-13-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Eh. The stuff with Kara continues to be the only parts that have my attention.

...Actually no. Scratch that. House of El looks like it'll be pretty cool too.