Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I think your expectations are too high for these characters in this medium. I'm not saying you shouldn't want more or different out of them but rather the dye is cast, mould set for them to be written a certain way, unless you start from scratch with a very new character. Someone like Yara for example. Jon is his father's successor for better or for worse. Giving him his mother's character traits more visible/tangible would have been brilliant but alas, they aren't keen on lifting him above being a carbon copy of his dad who just has a different upbringing/childhood to Clark.
    Honestly, Bendis's run is over so I feel like arguing is moot at this point. The people still craving more stories with young Jon just need to re-read older comics or check out the new super sons. It's clear DC has no plans to go back. I had this same sadness when new 52 superman died and they replaced him with post crisis superman at the start of rebirth, so I get it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Honestly, Bendis's run is over so I feel like arguing is moot at this point. The people still craving more stories with young Jon just need to re-read older comics or check out the new super sons. It's clear DC has no plans to go back. I had this same sadness when new 52 superman died and they replaced him with post crisis superman at the start of rebirth, so I get it.
    which was another bad decision.New52 superman was miles better,when direction stuck and handled well.They don't need to go back.They just need to treat the kid and supersons book with respect like silverage superboy stories,which ran perfectly fine along with superman stories.Have jon as superman ,for all intents and purposes.But,he needs to embody the man of tomorrow in a modern sense.if not.if i don't get a wierd scifi man of tomorrow or anything different,then it's better to go back to being a kid,even in the mainline.There needs to be a reason for something.A teen hero flying paragon ain't one.Especially when there is already clark,conner,wonderwoman,shazam..etc.yeah!i fail to see anything attractive about that.It's bland as heck.They could have done riskier stories with jon that they are not able to do with clark (being a symbol and all that).That's what i want.Riskier story telling with jon.Not the same old shtick that they do with clark.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-17-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I've already said in this thread how this is the direction I'd want DC to take with Jon, so I'm happy we're gonna get more teen Jon. I am glad we have a new writer tackling the character and hopefully that leads to actual discussion of whats going on with him and not just complaints about Bendis like every past issue discussion with Jon the past 2 years.
    Honestly, at this point moving on would be the best thing to do since it's obvious the character I want isn't coming back. I could say that I'm ready to start fresh now that Bendis is gone and stop bitching about what he's done....But I know myself too well lol

This isn't the first time that something I loved (or at least wanted to love) was ruined for me.

Sometimes I can get over it:

- Carol in Civil War II (Oh man, that grudge lasted a LONG time)
    - Black Panther in Avengers VS X-Men
    - Kitty Pryde in X-Men Gold
    - Reed Richards and Tony Stark in the first Civil War
    - The younger version of Jean Grey in Bendis' X-Men run (like Carol, I hated her for a VERY long time)
    - The younger version of Cable that we currently have
    - The absolutely terrible way Bendis wrote Iceman's coming out.
    - Batman and Catwoman during King's run
    - Talia during Morrison's time on Batman
    - Damian's death (which I only let go because it was reversed)
    - The erasure of the Pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans (which, again, I only let go because it was reversed)
    - The original Titans bending to the League's will in Abnett's run (Especially Nightwing. The little bitch)
    - Peter Quill in Infinity War

Sometimes I try to but...I just can't:

- Alex Wilder after the first arc of Runaways (I'm actually kinda surprised that I haven't let this one go. It didn't even piss me off that bad.)
    - Wanda and Pietro after having their mutanthood revoked because of movie-synergy.
    - Franklin having his mutanthood revoked because...I don't know. Who ever knows with Dan Slott?
    - The Inhumans after that period of time where Marvel was trying to replace the X-Men with them.
    - The New 52 Teen Titans....Just...everything about them.
    - The New 52 in general.
    - Bane and Flashpoint Batman in King's run.
    - Charles Xavier after establishing Krakoa (and especially after his involvement with the Fantastic Four)
    - Krakoa in general (though I think the fact that it sometimes comes off as super shady and cult-like is the point)
    - Wally in Heroes in Crisis (I know this was retconned to not be his fault but...it still stings)

And I can tell you now, what happened to Jon is definitely going in the latter category. Like...that one hurt. That hurt almost more than Damian's death. That had me wishing Jon died in space rather than come back the way that he did (and...honestly...I still kinda wish that he did). I think it hurt so bad because I'd never gotten attached to a character so fast...just for them to be taken away and replaced, just as fast. Like...I can't even look at Clark and Lois the same way after they both failed SO spectacularly as parents and then just kinda...brushed it off, as if missing the most important years of your child's life (due to your own negligence) is no biggie.

Everything that I had been looking forward to seeing in a character like Jon....Just gone. The teen version of him doesn't even register as the same character to me. He's a blank slate. One that I have zero interest in getting to know because he's just another dime a dozen teen hero whose only unique or interesting quality is being Clark's son. I already have Conner. What the hell do I need another teen Superboy for? Especially one that's even more of a Clark clone than the actual Clark clone.

Obviously Jon couldn't stay a kid forever. And I wouldn't want him to. But this...this just ain't the way.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-17-2020 at 09:02 AM.

jon kent after future state.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

jon kent after future state.
    I hate that I like this..... It's just the art is fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Honestly, at this point moving on would be the best thing to do since it's obvious the character I want isn't coming back. I could say that I'm ready to start fresh now that Bendis is gone and stop bitching about what he's done....But I know myself too well lol

This isn't the first time that something I loved (or at least wanted to love) was ruined for me.

Sometimes I can get over it:

- Carol in Civil War II (Oh man, that grudge lasted a LONG time)
    - Black Panther in Avengers VS X-Men
    - Kitty Pryde in X-Men Gold
    - Reed Richards and Tony Stark in the first Civil War
    - The younger version of Jean Grey in Bendis' X-Men run (like Carol, I hated her for a VERY long time)
    - The younger version of Cable that we currently have
    - The absolutely terrible way Bendis wrote Iceman's coming out.
    - Batman and Catwoman during King's run
    - Talia during Morrison's time on Batman
    - Damian's death (which I only let go because it was reversed)
    - The erasure of the Pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans (which, again, I only let go because it was reversed)
    - The original Titans bending to the League's will in Abnett's run (Especially Nightwing. The little bitch)
    - Peter Quill in Infinity War

Sometimes I try to but...I just can't:

- Alex Wilder after the first arc of Runaways (I'm actually kinda surprised that I haven't let this one go. It didn't even piss me off that bad.)
    - Wanda and Pietro after having their mutanthood revoked because of movie-synergy.
    - Franklin having his mutanthood revoked because...I don't know. Who ever knows with Dan Slott?
    - The Inhumans after that period of time where Marvel was trying to replace the X-Men with them.
    - The New 52 Teen Titans....Just...everything about them.
    - The New 52 in general.
    - Bane and Flashpoint Batman in King's run.
    - Charles Xavier after establishing Krakoa (and especially after his involvement with the Fantastic Four)
    - Krakoa in general (though I think the fact that it sometimes comes off as super shady and cult-like is the point)
    - Wally in Heroes in Crisis (I know this was retconned to not be his fault but...it still stings)

And I can tell you now, what happened to Jon is definitely going in the latter category. Like...that one hurt. That hurt almost more than Damian's death. That had me wishing Jon died in space rather than come back the way that he did (and...honestly...I still kinda wish that he did). I think it hurt so bad because I'd never gotten attached to a character so fast...just for them to be taken away and replaced, just as fast. Like...I can't even look at Clark and Lois the same way after they both failed SO spectacularly as parents and then just kinda...brushed it off, as if missing the most important years of your child's life (due to your own negligence) is no biggie.

Everything that I had been looking forward to seeing in a character like Jon....Just gone. The teen version of him doesn't even register as the same character to me. He's a blank slate. One that I have zero interest in getting to know because he's just another dime a dozen teen hero whose only unique or interesting quality is being Clark's son. I already have Conner. What the hell do I need another teen Superboy for? Especially one that's even more of a Clark clone than the actual Clark clone.

Obviously Jon couldn't stay a kid forever. And I wouldn't want him to. But this...this just ain't the way.
    Same bro can't let it go will never let Clark & Lois forget will pray till I'm blue in the face it's reversed.

Guys,Don't lose hope.(lol!)Superman fans are likley to get pissed at jon taking over superbooks.This ain't gonna last and the kid will return like a rubber band.That seems to be why they decided to publish supersons again as a back up plan.

Mighty Member

It's possible that if Johnson was supposed to be the 5G, a large reason he isn't deaging Jon is that he wants to repurpose as many of his 5G plans as he possibly can...which does not inspire me.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Incredible Member

Nope. I'm not letting this go. I can not live with a Jon who spent his important formative years from 10-17 being tortured on Earth 3. I'm not going to be able to forgive DC for this. I'm not coming back to the main continuity Superman books unless it's undone or Jon gets deaged and a chance to live out these years normally. Either it's fixed or I'm never coming back.

Aged up Jon goes to the list of the worst decisions made by DC since the New 52 as an example having no idea what to do with him creatively and they killed something that was so unique and special that people were invested in first place.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Aged up Jon goes to the list of the worst decisions made by DC since the New 52 as an example having no idea what to do with him creatively and they killed something that was so unique and special that people were invested in first place.
    My thoughts exactly. Before all is said and done my honest fear is Jon will end up becoming the next Ben Reilly, a character most people would rather forget.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Before all is said and done my honest fear is Jon will end up becoming the next Ben Reilly, a character most people would rather forget.
    i might be wrong,but I think the overlap between supersons fans and superman fans are rather small.So,i think only teen jon would get hated on.if it's gonna happen.To keep supersons alive and kid jon from hated,there is already a digital book and first issue was splendid.Unlike ben reilly situation.I am quite comfortable that the character is'nt going any where.He even has a show lined up.Two, if jon appears in young justice.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-17-2020 at 01:34 PM.

i might be wrong,but I think the overlap between supersons fans and superman fans are rather small.So,i think only teen jon would get hated on.if it's gonna happen.To keep supersons alive and kid jon from hated,there is already a digital book and first issue was splendid.
    I hope you're correct. Sadly, people tend to blame the character not the writers or editorial in these types of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope you're correct. Sadly, people tend to blame the character not the writers or editorial in these types of situations.
    As said,even if they(superman fans) do as long as they aren't the supersons readers.it wouldn't affect that much.if i am correct that is,regarding overlap .

As said,even if they(superman fans) do as long as they aren't the supersons readers.it wouldn't affect that much.if i am correct that is,regarding overlap .
    *crosses fingers* I hope so.