Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

What do you guys think of cw jon? He's apparently going to be a jock. I pretty underwhelmed. This doesn't seem to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What do you guys think of cw jon? He's apparently going to be a jock. I pretty underwhelmed. This doesn't seem to be good.
    That is... disappointing.

The show is gonna be all teen angst and drama. As if the bendis comics wasn't enough. Jon and jordan might be rivals. Jon might be made into a bully who picks on the little guy or jerk "bad boy" . If that's the case they are going to milk jordan's nerd bit. How nice and good he is.Terrific. I have said it from the start. Especially, after the baby diaper thing. This cw show isn't good for Superman, atleast in my opinion.First they had superman being put down. Now jon is going to suffer the same for their original.
    Oh! Well, i am looking forward to that young justice or whatever comic and robin book with jon.

Mighty Member

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a Disney Channel sitcom with superpowers. We have those.

I'm hoping Jon is just some kind of great outdoorsman type and not a jock. I really hate that archetype because no one ever does anything good with it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You're saying "jock" in a pretty derogatory manner, and I don't really understand why based on what we know so far. In the casting call Jon Kent is described as "modest and kind-heated, with an aw-shucks attitude that somehow doesn't seem dated"

That's hardly the meat-head you seem to be implying. And this is fairly uncharted territory for Jon given the fact that it clearly states that he doesn't know that his dad is Superman or that he may one day have powers, yet he's around 14. In the comics Jon got his powers well before he was a teen, so no one can really say what Jon would've been like had his powers come in much later.

You like anime, so maybe thinking of it like this will help: Jon is Asura Ōtsutsuki and Jordan Ōtsutsuki is Indra. Jon inherits the outgoing nature and the physicality, and Jordan inherits the intelligence. Granted, it's not a perfect metaphor (their reincarnations, Hashirama and Madara may be a bit better), but you see what I'm getting at. There's a deliberate dichotomy at play here, and I think that's fascinating.

Jon might be made into a bully who picks on the little guy or jerk "bad boy" .
    Where in the world are you getting the base to make these assumptions? Because he knows how to throw a football well he's automatically a bully in the making?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-05-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You're saying "jock" in a pretty derogatory manner, and I don't really understand why based on what we know so far. In the casting call Jon Kent is described as "modest and kind-heated, with an aw-shucks attitude that somehow doesn't seem dated"

That's hardly the meat-head you seem to be implying. And this is fairly uncharted territory for Jon given the fact that it clearly states that he doesn't know that his dad is Superman or that he may one day have powers, yet he's around 14. In the comics Jon got his powers well before he was a teen, so no one can really say what Jon would've been like had his powers come in much later.

You like anime, so maybe thinking of it like this will help: Jon is Asura Ōtsutsuki and Jordan Ōtsutsuki is Indra. Jon inherits the outgoing nature and the physicality, and Jordan inherits the intelligence. Granted, it's not a perfect metaphor (their reincarnations, Hashirama and Madara may be a bit better), but you see what I'm getting at. There's a deliberate dichotomy at play here, and I think that's fascinating.
    I didn't there. It was a general statement there. I did however in the second post, after some thought . Because jocks are usually "bad guys". They are made out to be shallow, materialistic and atworst bullies. They are always put through the mud. Even postcrisis superman was blamed for being just a jock without any of those "bad" qualities . People hate jocks and flock towards the nerds.That's the normal stereo type.That isn't good for jon in my opinion . Jon should stay away from those stupid labels.

Dude, jon being like indra otsustki or his transmigrant like sasuke is no good. Making jon into a sasuke or rival character like vegeta is not gonna be in my taste. Especially, when one side might not be given equal treatment.As said above, jocks are rarely given anything. Tumblr crowd decides these cw shows for the most part. Felicity smoak was a thing. Their hero will be jordan,not jon.
    All i am saying is that jocks have a stigma. Time will tell if this is going to further that or not.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-05-2020 at 10:07 PM.

I didn't there. It was a general statement there. I did however in the second post, after some thought . Because jocks are usually "bad guys". They are made out to be shallow, materialistic and atworst bullies. They are always put through the mud. Even postcrisis superman was blamed for being just a jock without any of those "bad" qualities . People hate jocks and flock towards the nerds.That's the normal stereo type.That isn't good for jon in my opinion . Jon should stay away from those stupid labels.
    But there's a very real disconnect between your assumptions of this stereotype and what the actual, legit casting call describes the character as.

It said that he's "modest and kind-heated, with an aw-shucks attitude that somehow doesn't seem dated". What about that is screaming 'soon to be a bully' to you? Jordan on the other hand is described as having an "inherent darkness". I'm not seeing your logic here.

Besides, chances are Jon's not likely to continue playing sports after he gets his powers. He'll likely want to go into the "family business" once he finds out. I'm actually hoping that he figures it out before his parents tell him and his brother so he can go hero behind their backs for a bit in his rebirth costume.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

But there's a very real disconnect between your assumptions of this stereotype and what the actual, legit casting call describes the character as.

It said that he's "modest and kind-heated, with an aw-shucks attitude that somehow doesn't seem dated". What about that is screaming 'soon to be a bully' to you? Jordan on the other hand is described as having an "inherent darkness". I'm not seeing your logic here.

Besides, chances are Jon's not likely to continue playing sports after he gets his powers. He'll likely want to go into the "family business" once he finds out. I'm actually hoping that he figures it out before his parents tell him and his brother so he can go hero behind their backs for a bit in his rebirth costume.
    Well, it might not in hindsight . As said, these shows play to the tumblr crowd. So for that they might have jon go through the bully phase or something like that. I am also worried they are going to do what they did to black canary and superman.
    Anyways, this is the new jon live action.

Gotta say, He looks like he could play superman, one day.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-05-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

The show is gonna be all teen angst and drama. As if the bendis comics wasn't enough. Jon and jordan might be rivals. Jon might be made into a bully who picks on the little guy or jerk "bad boy" . If that's the case they are going to milk jordan's nerd bit. How nice and good he is.Terrific. I have said it from the start. Especially, after the baby diaper thing. This cw show isn't good for Superman, atleast in my opinion.First they had superman being put down. Now jon is going to suffer the same for their original.
    Oh! Well, i am looking forward to that young justice or whatever comic and robin book with jon.
    Jon is described as the nice kid even if he's a jock. Jordan the nerd is the angsty son.

Well, it might not in hindsight . As said, these shows play to the tumblr crowd. So for that they might have jon go through the bully phase or something like that. I am also worried they are going to do what they did to black canary and superman.
    "playing to the tumblr crowd" doesn't automatically mean that. In fact, the trend as of late with physically dominate/sporty characters that "play to the tumblr crowd" is to make them nicest characters in the show usually. Your jock stereotype is largely outdated in popular media. Not saying there aren't still a few dinosaur examples roaming around, but for the most TV seems to have moved on. A quick example would be the Body Improvement Club from Mob Psycho 100. Similar to Golden age Superman, quite a few examples of TV jocks are usually the first people to stick up for the little guy because they have the power and weight to stop bullying when they see it.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jon's main conflict is going to be living up to the pressure of being his dad's son. This is easily recontextualized for the CW viewership because being Superboy will likely be comparable to the pressure put on teen athletes who have very famous parents in the same sport. And all the same feelings from his sports carry over because it'll be people looking to him and depending on him being at his best at any given moment.

But in terms of Jordan, I'm guessing they may have it so he feels like he doesn't belong. The leak even said that it's not a given that they'll both get Clark's powers. And I personally doubt that we'll have three kryptonian powered characters in the show. Even Flash keeps it down to just two Flashes at a time. So I'm guess Jordan will either just be a super genius, or he'll be a super genius and he'll have some sort of TK powers for vary up the visuals and distinguish himself from his brother and dad.

"playing to the tumblr crowd" doesn't automatically mean that. In fact, the trend as of late with physically dominate/sporty characters that "play to the tumblr crowd" is to make them nicest characters in the show usually. Your jock stereotype is largely outdated in popular media. Not saying there aren't still a few dinosaur examples roaming around, but for the most TV seems to have moved on. A quick example would be the Body Improvement Club from Mob Psycho 100. Similar to Golden age Superman, quite a few examples of TV jocks are usually the first people to stick up for the little guy because they have the power and weight to stop bullying when they see it.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jon's main conflict is going to be living up to the pressure of being his dad's son. This is easily recontextualized for the CW viewership because being Superboy will likely be comparable to the pressure put on teen athletes who have very famous parents in the same sport. And all the same feelings from his sports carry over because it'll be people looking to him and depending on him being at his best at any given moment.

But in terms of Jordan, I'm guessing they may have it so he feels like he doesn't belong. The leak even said that it's not a given that they'll both get Clark's powers. And I personally doubt that we'll have three kryptonian powered characters in the show. Even Flash keeps it down to just two Flashes at a time. So I'm guess Jordan will either just be a super genius, or he'll be a super genius and he'll have some sort of TK powers for vary up the visuals and distinguish himself from his brother and dad.
    I guess. But, mob Psycho 100 is written by one.The guy who made one punch man and mob Psycho . So, that's saying cw writers are of that calibre. I haven't watched any of the series with that level of writing. But, hey! I could be wrong
    I believe, there will be a love triangle with jon, jordan and sarah. Lana's daughter. I mean, what's more tumblr than shipping wars.

Gotta say, He looks like he could play superman, one day.
    I'm pretty sure part of the reason they picked him to play Jon was because he looks like he could grow up to be a conventionally handsome leading man type.

Really hoping he's dying his hair black for the role because he looks like a dead ringer for Ryan Sook's Jon Kent when he does

Last edited by Superlad93; 02-05-2020 at 11:30 PM.

I'm pretty sure part of the reason they picked him to play Jon was because he looks like he could grow up to be a conventionally handsome leading man type.

Really hoping he's dying his hair black for the role because he looks like a dead ringer for Ryan Sook's Jon Kent when he does

https://i2.wp.com/tv.badtaste.it/wp/...trip=all&ssl=1
    Yeah! But, i prefer jon having long wavy messy hair than he has in legion now or the guy cast as jon has. i wish he had grown his hair longer.

Hmmm... it's different and I would have preferred him being closer in age to real Jon than Bendis' doppelganger. But I'm actually okay with this. The two sons instead of "Super Sons", the character descriptions, the actors. For a CW show, I'm okay with all of this (though at first glance I definitely thought the younger one was supposed to be Jon. He looked more like him in the first pictures I saw of them). I'm still really looking forward to this show. It feels nice being excited for something involving Jon again lol

Astonishing Member

My initial reaction was that of apprehension but I've had half a day to digest everything and this hasn't curbed my anticipation for the show. I might even say I'm a little eager to see it now.