Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    The JSA will show up in the SHAZAM 14 to fight superboy prime
    I would suggest they're likely to be punching bags for Prime; after all, it's something Johns likes to do, and it isn't their title. And yes, PG is the queen of DC jobbers.

Extraordinary Member

Wow, now there's a report that the character Cyclone from the JSA will be in the Black Adam movie. Which means that in 2065, when Power Girl finally gets a group shot in a picture on someone's desk in a flashback in a single scene in some holographic movie; she will be the very last character for whom DC owns the rights to finally appear in a live action movie or TV show...after G'nort and Arm Fall-Off Boy.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Wow, now there's a report that the character Cyclone from the JSA will be in the Black Adam movie. Which means that in 2065, when Power Girl finally gets a group shot in a picture on someone's desk in a flashback in a single scene in some holographic movie; she will be the very last character for whom DC owns the rights to finally appear in a live action movie or TV show...after G'nort and Arm Fall-Off Boy.
    Arm Fall-Off Boy is getting his own show on HBOGo.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Arm Fall-Off Boy is getting his own show on HBOGo.
    Heh. I'm thinking even Space Cabby has probably been in live action...or will be long before PG.

I'm not sure I want a Power Girl movie (or general live action appearance) in the current climate. Whomever does it would most likely feel the need to fix her or otherwise make some creative liberal changes which all boils down to a middlefinger to the characters fans.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I'm not sure I want a Power Girl movie (or general live action appearance) in the current climate. Whomever does it would most likely feel the need to fix her or otherwise make some creative liberal changes which all boils down to a middlefinger to the characters fans.
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. PG would surely be labeled as "problematic" by someone or some group so the studio would feel obliged to radically change the character.

With that said, I think a version based upon the current animated Supergirl from DC Superhero Girls might work. I swear that "Supergirl" is far more Powergirl than Supergirl in looks and actions.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Maybe, but maybe not. It actually could make her character, in much the same way the Marvel movies made Iron Man, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. If it gets someone who is a fan of the character and bothers to get to her appeal. Granted, the history of WB doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but it is possible.

More to the point, she could have TV appearances....even a little bit could help make the character more popular.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. PG would surely be labeled as "problematic" by someone or some group so the studio would feel obliged to radically change the character.

With that said, I think a version based upon the current animated Supergirl from DC Superhero Girls might work. I swear that "Supergirl" is far more Powergirl than Supergirl in looks and actions.
    But what about PG is "problematic"? I see that claim often, but it's never explained.

But what about PG is "problematic"? I see that claim often, but it's never explained.
    That's because there isn't actually anything wrong with the character.

Far as this kind of complaint goes, the one I see the most is about her boobs. Because apparently having big boobs and dealing with the problems, comments, and situations that come with that isn't acceptable anymore. These complaints aren't worth anything of course, since real writers use this for far more than juvenile jokes (busty girl problems are real; I watch my wife struggle with them every day). And most of the people who make complaints about Karen's boobs don't read her books or know anything about her beyond her bra size.

The idea that Karen is redundant because we have Supergirl is also a comment statement but really is not problematic if you possess two or more brain cells. They're no more similar than Supergirl and Superman. They share an origin (the first part of an origin, anyway) and that's it. That's not a problem unless you're wildly lazy and unimaginative.

The only real problem Karen has is a lack of brand recognition. No one knows who Power Girl is, while names like Supergirl and Wonder Woman are recognized around the world. Of course, this isn't a problem either, and everything from Guardians of the Galaxy to Aquaman show that a lack of brand recognition, or even negative brand reputation, is only a barrier if you believe it is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

She was way more political when she was first created back in the seventies than she is today.
    Assassinate Putin!

So were a lot of comics.

I'd be down with Karen getting back into her feminist roots though. I've never considered her politics but I suspect she'd be left leaning in today's climate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hardcore feminists often hate characters like Karen females who are comfortable with their sexuality. They say such characters are nothing more than male fantasies. This is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So were a lot of comics.

I'd be down with Karen getting back into her feminist roots though. I've never considered her politics but I suspect she'd be left leaning in today's climate.
    I don't think she'd lean either way, her boobs would keep her balance.

I'll go now.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Hardcore feminists often hate characters like Karen females who are comfortable with their sexuality. They say such characters are nothing more than male fantasies. This is what I meant.
    Eh, that's only one variant of feminism, plenty of others celebrate Karen being comfortable with her sexuality and being willing to work with what Rao gave her.

Actually, according to a sociological study of gender class I took last semester (I needed electives) the 70's and 80's eras of feminism put a lot of emphasis on being sexually free, to the point where many women felt they had to act that way or they'd be doing a disservice to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I don't think she'd lean either way, her boobs would keep her balance.

I'll go now.
    Ha! So are we calling her a forward leaning centrist?

I actually have no idea what her politics would be....I don't think I've ever seen anything that goes deeper than vague generalities.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, that's only one variant of feminism, plenty of others celebrate Karen being comfortable with her sexuality and being willing to work with what Rao gave her.

Actually, according to a sociological study of gender class I took last semester (I needed electives) the 70's and 80's eras of feminism put a lot of emphasis on being sexually free, to the point where many women felt they had to act that way or they'd be doing a disservice to the cause.....
    Indeed there are, however, the variant I mentioned tends to (sadly) be the most vocal more often than not so they get the most attention from Hollywood & others.