Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 775
  1. #691
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Ah, the great Harley Quinn rehabilitation project! "She's a hero now! You have to see her as a hero!"
    WAKANDA FOREVER! Chadwick Boseman 1976-2020 BLM

  2. #692
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    57,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Ah, the great Harley Quinn rehabilitation project! "She's a hero now! You have to see her as a hero!"
    Yeah, we're all cool with Harley Quinn! For some reason .

  3. #693
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    I see no benefit for PG in continuing to put her with Harley. Has it gotten her a single appearance in anything outside comic books with Harley? No. Well that might be reassuring, again, she gets nothing out of it.

  4. #694
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Hi, guys! Thanks so much for the insights and for enduring my endless musings. I wondered what you guys thought about the pre-Flashpoint idea of Peege being Oracle's original operative and of her working with the Birds in the future (presuming it could recover and return to form).

    Another idea that popped up during Dixon's early run is the notion of tiers or clout or recognizability. In the earth side of the Apokolips story Peege is deployed to investigate the disappearance of Canary and Catwoman. When she arrives she informs Oracle that she has to establish her bonafides and informs her it is necessary because she doesn't have the high profile that day Supes have.

    From the perspective of denizens within the DCU do you think that her profile remains lower than say a Green Lantern or Superman?
    Last edited by Stanlos; 10-24-2020 at 10:56 AM.

  5. #695
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Assuming you were trying to convince WB to adapt Power Girl, what arguments would you use?
    I'd highlight the unique traits of the character; her multiversal background, her ties to larger franchises without being restricted by them, and how easily she can be slipped into any number of subgenres and themes, with special attention put on 50's, art-deco style sci-fi.

    I'd likely build the pitch around the idea of "Marilyn Monroe, with Superman's powers, fights flying saucers in an action comedy escapist adventure featuring alternate earths, aliens, and deep space!"

    From the perspective of denizens within the DCU do you think that her profile remains lower than say a Green Lantern or Superman?
    Absolutely. I mean, you're comparing Superman, hands down *the* most famous person in the DCU, to a hero who operates mostly as part of a US-based team with a large roster. There's no way Power Girl's public profile in the DCU comes even close to Superman or Green Lantern's.

    Karen's likely more of a "local celebrity." She's worked in NYC as a solo hero and the JSA has operated out of the city as well, so she's likely well known among New Yorkers, and most people around the country would at least recognize a picture of her, but she's far from being a globally recognized hero.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-24-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  6. #696
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, we're all cool with Harley Quinn! For some reason .
    That reason is green and comes in paper form. And because Harley's primary creative team loves both characters.

  7. #697
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, guys! Thanks so much for the insights and for enduring my endless musings. I wondered what you guys thought about the pre-Flashpoint idea of Peege being Oracle's original operative and of her working with the Birds in the future (presuming it could recover and return to form).
    Thought it was great. I like that some heroes had some friction between them and it was a good a reason as any for them to have some negative history. As for being a Bird of Prey, I doubt she'd deny help if they absolutely needed her but I don't think she'd be willing to take orders from Oracle on the regular. They both respect each other but don't think they work well together in the long term.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Another idea that popped up during Dixon's early run is the notion of tiers or clout or recognizability. In the earth side of the Apokolips story Peege is deployed to investigate the disappearance of Canary and Catwoman. When she arrives she informs Oracle that she has to establish her bonafides and informs her it is necessary because she doesn't have the high profile that day Supes have.

    From the perspective of denizens within the DCU do you think that her profile remains lower than say a Green Lantern or Superman?
    Absolutely. Superman is one of the DCU Earth's biggest celebrities. As Ascended noted, PG mostly stays stateside and is something of a local star; the hometown hero, as it were. She seems to want to do good without having Clark's innate need to save everyone. We don't really see her have that same anxiety Clark tends to regarding his messiah complex, or at least not nearly as often. Her mindset is a bit healthier where she saves everyone she can but she does have a life outside heroics, as do most heroes. I'll disagree that she's not globally recognized, however, because in the information age there's no way she wouldn't be (and given comments in Simone's Wonder Woman run, it's probably for reasons that would annoy Karen herself). Supergirl is probably a higher profile than Power Girl because she does ride her cousin's brand, and I think PG is fine with where she is.

  8. #698
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll disagree that she's not globally recognized, however, because in the information age there's no way she wouldn't be (and given comments in Simone's Wonder Woman run, it's probably for reasons that would annoy Karen herself). Supergirl is probably a higher profile than Power Girl because she does ride her cousin's brand, and I think PG is fine with where she is.
    Ah, let me clarify. People around the world probably recognize her picture, but in a "I've seen her before. Isn't she one of America's countless heroes? What's her name? Girl Power or something?"

    Like, if you showed me a photo of one of China's biggest and most famous actors, who's done work in the US, I might recognize them but probably couldn't tell you their name or what films they've done. I suspect PG's fame is like that, globally.

    Certainly PG would be more well known among the less....savory.....parts of global society who enjoy "adult films" more than is healthy or warranted. I forget about that stuff but you're right, Karen would be pretty famous among the xxx crowd.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  9. #699
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Actually, I disagree, PG is really well known in her universe, (well, whatever they're calling Earth 1 these days. Nu 52 Power Girl was globally famous in Earth 2. Main universe PG's been mentioned numerous times to be tabloid fodder, and was Rolling Stone's sexiest superheroine a few times IIRC, so she's probably on the order of a Kardashian or Clooney or something in terms of fame world-wide. But yeah, Superman is another level.

  10. #700
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd highlight the unique traits of the character; her multiversal background, her ties to larger franchises without being restricted by them, and how easily she can be slipped into any number of subgenres and themes, with special attention put on 50's, art-deco style sci-fi.

    I'd likely build the pitch around the idea of "Marilyn Monroe, with Superman's powers, fights flying saucers in an action comedy escapist adventure featuring alternate earths, aliens, and deep space!"
    Too bad DC didn't go with that plan....which to be fair was somewhat similar to the pitch Palmiotti and Gray gave to Rama back in the day than what they did. The resultant series might well have gotten enough sales to get her another series of her own after the nu52...but sadly we'll never know. Why they changed from that pitch I'll never know.

  11. #701
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Actually, I disagree, PG is really well known in her universe, (well, whatever they're calling Earth 1 these days. Nu 52 Power Girl was globally famous in Earth 2. Main universe PG's been mentioned numerous times to be tabloid fodder, and was Rolling Stone's sexiest superheroine a few times IIRC, so she's probably on the order of a Kardashian or Clooney or something in terms of fame world-wide. But yeah, Superman is another level.
    Really? I don't remember any of that. I stand corrected!

    I know Karen Starr (rather than Power Girl) was supposed to be quite well known in the business world in the New52 (or something like that) but the rest of it, if I knew it at all, I've forgotten.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  12. #702
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    The Captain Atom thread got me thinking; as he was one of the few male superheroes apart from...oh, not so few...Carter Hall, Aquaman, Hal Jordan...that she's either had a thing with, or thought she did for a while, (Hal did a bit too before realizing otherwise). With Nate, it was more a sort of possible on both parts thing. Seemed pretty platonic at the time, with perhaps a bit of flirting, perhaps not. But it could have been built upon, if anything of PG had continued beyond that point. But that was in the Generation Lost story IIRC, and that was one of the last PG stories prior to Flashpoint.

  13. #703
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Here's a thought, which Marvel superheroes would she pair with best for a one-shot or mini? Cap? Thor? Captain Marvel? Fantastic Four? Punisher? Others?

    It would have to be more than just a "they're together!" thing. It would have to work from a story point of view, either with some conflict, whether it's outright, or over how to do things, and some goal that would persuade both parties to work together.

  14. #704
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,282

    Default



    Supergirl and Power Girl by Alex Garner

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...y_alex_garner/

  15. #705
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post


    Supergirl and Power Girl by Alex Garner

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...y_alex_garner/
    Very nice bit of art. Notice the poses; completely appropriate to the characters. Power Girl has a smile on her face, but her right hand is cocked in a karate style punch, with fist made, while her other hand is in a rather innocuous pose, meant to keep someone at a distance, while Supergirl has a look of joy on her face, and her arms are in a happy flying pose. Both seem happy, one seems a bit more aggressive. Again, good art.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-07-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •