Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't envy the actress who takes that role and has to deal with people complaining she looks nothing like the character.
    What if they just use Melissa Benoist in prosthetics and CGI?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So Stargirl got renewed by the CW which will now be there exclusive home of the series. Now I really don't want PG to show up on it. Their takes on pretty much every character have been pretty whack, save Black Lightning which I still enjoy, but their batting average is piss poor and considering Superman shows up to job for Kara, I don't have high hopes for Karen under their pen; she'll likely just become a two dimensional mouthpiece as most characters on their shoes do.
    I don't think that will be an issue; PG isn't right for this show except maybe as a deus ex machina, which wouldn't be good. And Johns doesn't like her, so don't expect to see her. The problem with that news is that it was the real potential to mess up a great show. Budget is probably going to go down, and the desire to cross it over will reduce it to just another of the Arrowverse shows, instead of something special.

Extraordinary Member

I don't envy the actress who takes that role and has to deal with people complaining she looks nothing like the character.
    Seems to be part of the deal for actors and actresses these days; dealing with people who react in insane ways to their roles. Sad, but true.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But..........Powergirl in live action though.......
    I don't see the appeal if she'll just be as mistreated as the rest of the DCU on the CW.

And I won't dance around the implication. I don't need PG to be super busty on the silver or small screen. I just want the character I've been reading about all these years to be portrayed without some cringe-inducing need to "fix" her. If she's not a 6'0" bombshell who looks like she can lift a tank, I'll live. While I love Karen exactly as she is, that's not my primary concern in adapting these characters. The two times she's been adapted were in JLU as a villainous clone and in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies as an insecure sex joke. Hardest of passes. Karen rules.

Yes, she's got large breasts as an informed trait, but most artists basically just draw the same bodies for every character so really it's just an inside joke and one I grow more tired of each day.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Seems to be part of the deal for actors and actresses these days; dealing with people who react in insane ways to their roles. Sad, but true.
    I still don't get the hate Ruby Rose got. Look, I never thought she was a particularly great actress and remain unconvinced, but they got the tough-as-nails white lesbian woman who can wear a red wig to play a tough-as-nails white lesbian woman who wears a red wig. She literally was perfect casting aside from dubious acting chops, but frankly the CW isn't exactly a bastion of that to begin with so why hold it against Rose? Comic fans just want to hate on everything.

Yes, I see the irony in that statement while unironically hoping they don't cast and ruin a favorite character of mine.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see the appeal if she'll just be as mistreated as the rest of the DCU on the CW.

And I won't dance around the implication. I don't need PG to be super busty on the silver or small screen. I just want the character I've been reading about all these years to be portrayed without some cringe-inducing need to "fix" her. If she's not a 6'0" bombshell who looks like she can lift a tank, I'll live. While I love Karen exactly as she is, that's not my primary concern in adapting these characters. The two times she's been adapted were in JLU as a villainous clone and in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies as an insecure sex joke. Hardest of passes. Karen rules.

Yes, she's got large breasts as an informed trait, but most artists basically just draw the same bodies for every character so really it's just an inside joke and one I grow more tired of each day.

I still don't get the hate Ruby Rose got. Look, I never thought she was a particularly great actress and remain unconvinced, but they got the tough-as-nails white lesbian woman who can wear a red wig to play a tough-as-nails white lesbian woman who wears a red wig. She literally was perfect casting aside from dubious acting chops, but frankly the CW isn't exactly a bastion of that to begin with so why hold it against Rose? Comic fans just want to hate on everything.

Yes, I see the irony in that statement while unironically hoping they don't cast and ruin a favorite character of mine.
    Knowing little about Batwoman; has she and Power Girl ever met? I mean with an exchange of words at least...

To be fair, that was just one joke from Toyman. Otherwise she was a competent hero and basically had the same role as in the comic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair, that was just one joke from Toyman. Otherwise she was a competent hero and basically had the same role as in the comic.
    Well, she gets to be the stupid one, rather than Katana, but I can sort of see why. Time constraints and the desire to feature her for some reason more than Katana...

That said, she WOULD have to be voiced by Allison "Wall of Weird Subject" Mack. The ONE animated movie she actually appears in...

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, the key to Power Girl is the attitude and personality, but the attribute everyone mentions first with her is her... assets.

Honestly, if you nailed the attitude and personality in the writing and casting, and hit a good enough costume, you could change up most of the rest - she could be a spunky, rebellious clone ala Superboy, another more free-spirited Kryptonian refugee (whether from another enclave or dimension) etc.

I mean, think about how much more the DC Superhero Girls version of Supergirl feels like Karen than Kara.

There’s plenty of beautiful women who could do the role in Hollywood without needing to address the measurements.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 07-07-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, the key to Power Girl is the attitude and personality, but the attribute everyone mentions first with her is her... assets.

Honestly, if you nailed the attitude and personality in the writing and casting, and hit a good enough costume, you could change up most of the rest - she could be a spunky, rebellious clone ala Superboy, another more free-spirited Kryptonian refugee (whether from another enclave or dimension) etc.

I mean, think about how much more the DC Superhero Girls version of Supergirl feels like Karen than Kara.

There’s plenty of beautiful women who could do the role in Hollywood without needing to address the measurements.
    To be honest, that everyone always focuses on her bust is to the character's detriment. I'm of the mind that it shouldn't even be a consideration when casting Karen. Get her personality right and make that the loudest thing about her. Let people know who she is and not just the joke they seem to really want her to be.

Extraordinary Member

To be honest, that everyone always focuses on her bust is to the character's detriment. I'm of the mind that it shouldn't even be a consideration when casting Karen. Get her personality right and make that the loudest thing about her. Let people know who she is and not just the joke they seem to really want her to be.
    Yes, agreed. Though it's not likely to ever be an issue...she'll be lucky to get into any animated things, much less live action.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, agreed. Though it's not likely to ever be an issue...she'll be lucky to get into any animated things, much less live action.
    I don't know, I have an annoying feeling she will be. It's a sad state of affairs when you're actively hoping your favorite characters don't get adapted because you don't trust the people in charge of adaptions.

Anyone have any thoughts on Divine?

I know its a question 30 plus years too late, but would it have been easier to make Karen a Daxamite and have magic cure her of lead poisoning? I mean, she was only around for about 10 years so I doubt there would have been much uproar. I know there would have been a little hate but it would have been better than what we got with that Atlantis mess. She still would have all her powers, including heat vision, still have the alien trying to fit in on Earth perceptive and there could have still been a Superman connection without them being related.

I know it doesn't matter. It was just a thought I had years ago before Final Crisis brought back her pre-crisis history.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I know its a question 30 plus years too late, but would it have been easier to make Karen a Daxamite and have magic cure her of lead poisoning? I mean, she was only around for about 10 years so I doubt there would have been much uproar. I know there would have been a little hate but it would have been better than what we got with that Atlantis mess. She still would have all her powers, including heat vision, still have the alien trying to fit in on Earth perceptive and there could have still been a Superman connection without them being related.

I know it doesn't matter. It was just a thought I had years ago before Final Crisis brought back her pre-crisis history.
    Yes. They gave her the most unnecessary complex origin on the planet for no reason.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Anyone have any thoughts on Divine?
    Give her a grander origin than Max Lord's flunky, and call her Galatea, as in JLU the animated series, and she'd be fine.