Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Basically yeah.

A direct adaptation isn't going to appeal to little kids, I'm not arguing for something like that. I don't want my daughter watching an adaptation of Catwoman's rooftop sex scene with Batman from the New52 or anything ridiculous like that.

But, consider Bumblebee; in the comics she's confident and a little mouthy. In the Young Justice cartoon she's confident and a little mouthy. In the original DCSHG she was confident and a little mouthy but in a way that worked for the target audience's sensibilities. In the new DCSHG she's a shy quiet nerd. One of these things is not like the other. That's not "adapting the character for the intended audience" it's just ignoring the character and prescribing a seemingly random archetype to her. This Bumblebee is Bee in name only, yet her established character could have easily worked for the show, as it did before, had the creators wanted. Instead they just pulled an archetype out of a hat and slapped it on her.

It doesn't matter if the prescribed archetype is a classic staple of fiction or if Bee is a Z-lister even comic fans forget exists, it's still lazy. And that's all I'm saying. The show is popular and I'm thankful that it is. I hope the show lasts for a real long time because it's making new, young DC fans. But it's still lazy. It's not "adjustments for the intended audience" it's a completely different character.

The show's Supergirl, at least, I can see as a young version of Karen Starr and that justifies the "angry tough rocker" archetype.

But I feel like this is getting further and further away from talking about Power Girl, so let's forget it and move on yeah?

So here's a question; if Snyder does end up doing a JSA series, as rumors said, do we think he'll use Karen, and do we think he'd write her well?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I mean if Geoff Johns is not coming back then I’ll gladly take Scott Snyder. I know some people have negative opinions of his runs but for me he has an energy and an enjoyment of just playing with the aspects of the dc universe as a whole that I like from my writers. Basically the wild and outlandish, but still fun, elements he’s written in Batman, Justice League, and Metal.

I can’t say how well he’d write her, mainly because he never has before because she’s always been out of existence when he’s writing. But I think she will be there, I think there’s enough love for John’s era/Doomsday Clock line-up that she pretty much has to be there when the team comes back. I think it will be if he references any of the new stuff that will be interesting, given that the only Powergirl we’ve seen in years is the new 52 Earth 2 version who probably is not the same, the one in Harley Quinn, and I guess at the end of Deathstroke where she’s in another reality with the other Powergirl(teen titans).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Basically yeah.

A direct adaptation isn't going to appeal to little kids, I'm not arguing for something like that. I don't want my daughter watching an adaptation of Catwoman's rooftop sex scene with Batman from the New52 or anything ridiculous like that.

But, consider Bumblebee; in the comics she's confident and a little mouthy. In the Young Justice cartoon she's confident and a little mouthy. In the original DCSHG she was confident and a little mouthy but in a way that worked for the target audience's sensibilities. In the new DCSHG she's a shy quiet nerd. One of these things is not like the other. That's not "adapting the character for the intended audience" it's just ignoring the character and prescribing a seemingly random archetype to her. This Bumblebee is Bee in name only, yet her established character could have easily worked for the show, as it did before, had the creators wanted. Instead they just pulled an archetype out of a hat and slapped it on her.

It doesn't matter if the prescribed archetype is a classic staple of fiction or if Bee is a Z-lister even comic fans forget exists, it's still lazy. And that's all I'm saying. The show is popular and I'm thankful that it is. I hope the show lasts for a real long time because it's making new, young DC fans. But it's still lazy. It's not "adjustments for the intended audience" it's a completely different character.

The show's Supergirl, at least, I can see as a young version of Karen Starr and that justifies the "angry tough rocker" archetype.

But I feel like this is getting further and further away from talking about Power Girl, so let's forget it and move on yeah?

So here's a question; if Snyder does end up doing a JSA series, as rumors said, do we think he'll use Karen, and do we think he'd write her well?
    He won't. His interest is with the OGs, he said as much in an interview.

I've also soured on him as a writer. Black Mirror into Court of the Owls was great and it's been getting worse since then. Metal was big dumb fun, I'll give it that, but I'm kind of over him and his usual tropes that aren't a good match for PG anyway.

I know he's interested in Nightwing, which I'm more welcoming of because while I'm not Snyder's biggest fan, Dick needs all the help he can get and Snyder seems like the best shield to hide behind.

Extraordinary Member

What say PG fans to perhaps a few minis pairing PG with other heroes she doesn't commonly share stories with? I was thinking Diana, Dick, (as Nightwing), Jason, (as Red Hood) to start. Again, I think WW/PG could sustain a series based on their clashing personalities and fantasy/sci-fi pairing. Richard with Kara could be fun IMO. As for Jason, I'll admit I got the idea from the intros in Injustice 2, but...another clashing styles thing that could be fun. And they do share some characteristics, though not the killy ones...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What say PG fans to perhaps a few minis pairing PG with other heroes she doesn't commonly share stories with? I was thinking Diana, Dick, (as Nightwing), Jason, (as Red Hood) to start. Again, I think WW/PG could sustain a series based on their clashing personalities and fantasy/sci-fi pairing. Richard with Kara could be fun IMO. As for Jason, I'll admit I got the idea from the intros in Injustice 2, but...another clashing styles thing that could be fun. And they do share some characteristics, though not the killy ones...
    Sounds all fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So a brave and the bold series starring Powergirl...yeah I would read that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So a brave and the bold series starring Powergirl...yeah I would read that.
    Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that; it is rather Brave and the Bold when you don't look at that in isolation.

I'd read it.

I mean, you had me at "Nightwing" and everybody knows it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'd be all over that like a cheap suit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Nice one. I like the Power Girl pics set in space.

Extraordinary Member

What about a pulp style Power Girl and JSA in the actual JSA comic...if there ever is one again?

Chapter Eighteen of my DC/Dragon Ball Z crossover which features a fusion of Power Girl (and Chi Chi) is posted. Check it out, if so inclined. -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1294361...n-Wife-of-Goku

Enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Showcase #97 (February, 1978). Art by Joe Staton.

Incredible Member

Last edited by gwhh; 06-26-2020 at 07:14 PM.