Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, indeed, the one by Johns.
    Cool, I didn't think I had overlooked a whole mini with her, but if I had....well, I got a little time on my hands it seems, a credit card, and ebay.

Points for the Sovereign Seven name drop too. I feel like I'm the only person who remembers that book.

Y'know, now that I think about it, that might've been my first exposure to Power Girl....honestly, I can't say I was a fan, since Rampart had to die to make room for her. I liked Rampart.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-29-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Cool, I didn't think I had overlooked a whole mini with her, but if I had....well, I got a little time on my hands it seems, a credit card, and ebay.

Points for the Sovereign Seven name drop too. I feel like I'm the only person who remembers that book.

Y'know, now that I think about it, that might've been my first exposure to Power Girl....honestly, I can't say I was a fan, since Rampart had to die to make room for her. I liked Rampart.
    My first experience with her was buying some issues of JLE in the old issues section of my LCS. Which probably explains some things, I suppose. But yeah, S7 was a weird gig for her. I did sort of like the Warlord thing, I don't recall the exact issues, and I don't think it has ever been traded, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it started somewhere around issue 117 or so. But it was sort of okay, for an Atlantean era thing not named JLE. Or JLI. Or JLA.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Most of PG's stories are on DC Universe if you're in the US and have $8 to burn. Not the JLE stuff (because Gerard Jones is a creep, or at least that's the only reason I could figure out) but her series, Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Classified and some others are there last I checked. Definitely a great way to read those if you don't have them on hand!

Since we're all talking about our exposure, I think mine was just in JSA. I was liking the book and Black Canary left, which bummed me out and they replaced her with Power Girl? I looked up who she was and the tortured history (at that point) was a headache and a half, but damn if Johns didn't figure out how to reintegrate her back where she fit best. She quickly became a favorite and I started hunting down issues she appeared in backwards and forwards. She's easily in my top five now, usually around 4th or 5th but sometimes she punches up a bit higher.

Imagine my surprise when she was trying to hook up with Hal Jordan, Aquaman (prior) and eventually Carter Hall (then-recent). I'm convinced she doesn't date much anymore because she knows her radar only picks up extremely complicated dudes destined to end up in shitshows.

The worst thing about PG is that, unfortunately, she's got two really annoying sets of people dogging her: those who are obsessed with her figure and those who are obsessed with trying to fix her when she's just fine. I'm afraid she'll never be able to get away from either and I'm certain that's why DC tried to distance themselves from her after the New 52 and their plan to make her a new face of DC seemed to fizzle out.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-30-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Most of PG's stories are on DC Universe if you're in the US and have $8 to burn. Not the JLE stuff (because Gerard Jones is a creep, or at least that's the only reason I could figure out) but her series, Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Classified and some others are there last I checked. Definitely a great way to read those if you don't have them on hand!

Since we're all talking about our exposure, I think mine was just in JSA. I was liking the book and Black Canary left, which bummed me out and they replaced her with Power Girl? I looked up who she was and the tortured history (at that point) was a headache and a half, but damn if Johns didn't figure out how to reintegrate her back where she fit best. She quickly became a favorite and I started hunting down issues she appeared in backwards and forwards. She's easily in my top five now, usually around 4th or 5th but sometimes she punches up a bit higher.

Imagine my surprise when she was trying to hook up with Hal Jordan, Aquaman (prior) and eventually Carter Hall (then-recent). I'm convinced she doesn't date much anymore because she knows her radar only picks up extremely complicated dudes destined to end up in shitshows.

The worst thing about PG is that, unfortunately, she's got two really annoying sets of people dogging her: those who are obsessed with her figure and those who are obsessed with trying to fix her when she's just fine. I'm afraid she'll never be able to get away from either and I'm certain that's why DC tried to distance themselves from her after the New 52 and their plan to make her a new face of DC seemed to fizzle out.
    Wait, they were planning to make Karen the new face of DC?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, they were planning to make Karen the new face of DC?
    Probably referring to DC's short lived ad campaign which was something like "The New Icons", I guess replacing the Justice League mainstays. IIRC, it was PG, Cyborg, and Damian Wayne. Well, DC stuck with the latter two, but bailed big time on PG. Without ever really giving her a chance. Her solo might have succeeded if it had been better, or more relevant to the outside DCU, either one. But it just wasn't anything other than a mildly pleasant but incredibly forgettable series of pointless stories that didn't do anything to advance the character.

There might also have been other "New Icons", but I don't recall.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There were, but I only recall Karen off hand. I think Blue Beetle was another. They made her chair of the JSA, then gave her her own book and JSA All-Stars. It was exposure, to be fair, but they bailed on her after Flashpoint and half-heartedly did stuff with her in New 52.

It honestly felt like they didn't get her, like they don't get Superman, and just put her in stuff they didn't have an idea for and hoped it'd be enough.

Extraordinary Member

There were, but I only recall Karen off hand. I think Blue Beetle was another. They made her chair of the JSA, then gave her her own book and JSA All-Stars. It was exposure, to be fair, but they bailed on her after Flashpoint and half-heartedly did stuff with her in New 52.

It honestly felt like they didn't get her, like they don't get Superman, and just put her in stuff they didn't have an idea for and hoped it'd be enough.
    There are SO many ways they could have gone with her after Flashpoint; that they chose what they did speaks volumes about how they view the character. THAT, more than anything, is what needs to change for PG to ever prosper. She's a character that always feels like she's on the verge of being killed off in some pointless way because DC just doesn't like her.

I think Zatanna and Booster were being lauded as some of those "new faces" or whatever too. This would've been around the time they all had solo's going, I think?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Zatanna and Booster were being lauded as some of those "new faces" or whatever too. This would've been around the time they all had solo's going, I think?
    I'm not sure about them. I kind of want to say either Red Hood or Starfire as well though. And yeah, probably Jaime Reyes.

Attachment 94949

Well, just to get to the length requirement....
    Well... if what I read is true and Carol Danvers is a Power Girl knockoff created by Power Girls creator after switching to Marvel we kind of have it (minus PG sassy humor and costume) :P

So annoying. I'm collecting the JSA by Geoff Johns volumes. The currently last one ends with PG being introduced in the last page. I really hope it gets a Vol. 4.

edit. Oops. Should have checked before typing. Vol 4 announced for October
    edit2: Over 100 pages less than vol 3?! :/
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 03-31-2020 at 02:44 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’m surprised Powergirl hasn’t made an appearance in the new Harley Quinn show yet. Seems like something she would show up in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’m surprised Powergirl hasn’t made an appearance in the new Harley Quinn show yet. Seems like something she would show up in.
    It does indeed.

Angry

It does indeed.
    True that, oh well yet another missed opportunity by the DC Office. If dropping the ball was an Olympic Sport DC Comics would be its undisputed grand slam perennial champion.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True that, oh well yet another missed opportunity by the DC Office. If dropping the ball was an Olympic Sport DC Comics would be its undisputed grand slam perennial champion.
    True. Hopefully, Stargirl will use the character, though I won't be holding my breath; WB has had the Society on what, twice now in live action without ever even alluding to Karen Starr or Power Girl. And this one is Johns' baby...so I can't handicap it from that perspective; on the one hand, he famously doesn't like or understand the character, on the other, he DID put her in JSA and writer her 2000s Classified mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Maybe in season 2.

~ Black Panther.