Page 1 of 56 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Karen Starr: Power Girl Appreciation 2020

New year, new thread!

This thread is for the fantastic Power Girl!

Please read the rules regarding Appreciation threads at the top of the forum and appreciate away!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Extraordinary Member

Happy New Year to all Power Girl fans, (and everyone else)! Here's hoping you all have a great year, and here's also hoping that Power Girl, (Karen Starr, Kara Zor-L), gets going strong this year, and starts making up for lost time.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, now we know they brought her back! Now let's see if they do anything with her.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, now we know they brought her back! Now let's see if they do anything with her.
    Which one did they bring back though? There's All-Star era to COIE PG, there's post COIE PG from Atlantis, there's 2000's era retconned back to Krypton 2 PG, there's sullen, angry and violent duplicate Earth 2 PG, and there's nu52 PG. Plus who knows how many Elseworlds or other alternate PGs. If they go back to pre-COIE PG, there's a lot of stories and relationships, (for example with Ted and Booster, Fire and Ice, Wally...), that she no longer has. That would be a loss.

Wow, sounds like Karen's backstory is as convoluted as Donna Troy's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Which one did they bring back though? There's All-Star era to COIE PG, there's post COIE PG from Atlantis, there's 2000's era retconned back to Krypton 2 PG, there's sullen, angry and violent duplicate Earth 2 PG, and there's nu52 PG. Plus who knows how many Elseworlds or other alternate PGs. If they go back to pre-COIE PG, there's a lot of stories and relationships, (for example with Ted and Booster, Fire and Ice, Wally...), that she no longer has. That would be a loss.
    I would just kept it simple and avoid everything about the only survivor of the pre-crisis multiverse. It made everything more confusing. Make her simply from earth 2 who has been lost in the main earth for years and she tag along the Justice Society because she knew them in her earth.
    Of course, first, reboot earth 2 to its more golden age aspect.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Happy New Year to Power Girl .

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wow, sounds like Karen's backstory is as convoluted as Donna Troy's.
    Nah, not even remotely. Karen's history basically only has two versions. There's "earth 2 Supergirl type" Power Girl, and then there's "Atlantean" Power Girl.

Every era and reboot has some weird twist on it, but it mostly all boils down to one of those two things, and even the earth 2 origin is pretty clean. She's from earth 2, and got stuck on earth 1 (or whatever the main earth is called for that period). The details switch up, like maybe she was Supergirl on earth 2 or maybe she wasn't, but the general backstory is nowhere near as crazy as Donna.

But then, the only character in DC who can compete with Donna for broken history is Hawkman.

Anyway, here's hoping our Girl gets her due in 2020! And here's hoping once she returns she finally finds love with Dick Grayson!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

You see, I didn't know about the Atlantean thing. Always thought she was just Earth-2 Supergirl - which obviously didn't work post-Crisis, so they gave her a new origin, then retconned it back later. That's why I compared it to Donna, who also had retcon after retcon after the Crisis also made her origin impossible.

Oh, and love with Dick? Forget it. No way he gets with anyone outside of the bat office, which means either Batgirl, Huntress, or a new character (like Defacer in the Rebirth Nightwing run).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

You see, I didn't know about the Atlantean thing. Always thought she was just Earth-2 Supergirl - which obviously didn't work post-Crisis, so they gave her a new origin, then retconned it back later. That's why I compared it to Donna, who also had retcon after retcon after the Crisis also made her origin impossible.

Oh, and love with Dick? Forget it. No way he gets with anyone outside of the bat office, which means either Batgirl, Huntress, or a new character (like Defacer in the Rebirth Nightwing run).
    Eh, just wait until I become a DC editor. I'll get Dick moved to an office that'll respect him and use him right. Just like Karen will once I'm done.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, just wait until I become a DC editor. I'll get Dick moved to an office that'll respect him and use him right. Just like Karen will once I'm done.
    You've got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    You've got my vote.
    See? Train's rolling, Dignified! Plenty of room, come aboard and enjoy the ride!

~ Black Panther.

Happy New Year to the best Supergirl (there I said it).

While I find the original canon incarnation of Supergirl two dimensional, boring and (at times) pretentious Karen's different incarnations (such as her Earth 2 counterpart the romantic partner of Val-Zod) are complex, interesting and beautifully flawed. I hope this is the year her character returns to greater relevancy. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

DC is a business so all dick has to do is start making DC alot of money outside of the bat office and they will move him. Just like they did with him in NTT.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Happy New Year to the best Supergirl (there I said it).

While I find the original canon incarnation of Supergirl two dimensional, boring and (at times) pretentious Karen's different incarnations (such as her Earth 2 counterpart the romantic partner of Val-Zod) are complex, interesting and beautifully flawed. I hope this is the year her character returns to greater relevancy. *crosses fingers*
    I will cross my fingers for that too.