Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Are they now supposed to be from the main Earth, or from an Earth 2 of some sort, and just sort of travelled? I'd be all in favor of having them all, including PG, as being from the main DCU Earth. It's not like they ever really did anything with the Earth 2 thing once they were settled on the main Earth pre Flashpoint. It literally made no difference to their stories, just to how DC viewed them.
    If they're all on the same earth, but PG is Kara Zor-El and in the new timeline Kara is Supergirl of Dick and Babs generation, that's why I ask how it will work. She'll just grow up to be Power Girl and there's no more Supergirl Kara after that?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    If they're all on the same earth, but PG is Kara Zor-El and in the new timeline Kara is Supergirl of Dick and Babs generation, that's why I ask how it will work. She'll just grow up to be Power Girl and there's no more Supergirl Kara after that?
    Yeah, that needs to be addressed. SG was Kara Zor-El first, and is far better known, so IMO, she gets the Zor-El part, though they both get to keep the Kara part. I would just make PG either the previously undisclosed older sister of Superman, or another El, perhaps an ancestor who was an explorer, somehow frozen in time until she can plausibly be in her early 20s while Superman is much older. I prefer maybe combining those two, but I'm sure there are many other ways.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Probably, though I'd assume that the Supergirl mantle goes to someone else.

Extraordinary Member

Here's a minor question I have; remember the nu52 series Mr. Terrific? Yes, I know, it was traumatizing to me too, it was so very, very bad. But it was the first appearance of the nu52 terrible version of Power Girl. Recall her very first scene, she's wearing Mr. Terrific's T-shirt and little else, having apparently just slept with him. So here's my question; recall the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing? Well, this is a case of "Woman of Steel, Man of Kleenex". Also remember that Mr. Terrific thought she was just a normal, though hot and rich, woman. He had no idea she was Kryptonian....even though one would think that crippling or fatal sex with her might be a slight clue. Since that didn't happen....how? Why not? It's not like she could set up a bunch of red lights and the "third smartest man in the world" wouldn't notice. And she had no Kryptonite, or access to magic at that time. How'd she do it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Speaking of Supergirl, as I haven't followed her for a while and therefore don't know; did they ever find a good way of portraying her? I mean, she was originally a bland, whitebread lesser female version of her cousin, then with the Kryptonian reboot she became...a sullen, bratty powerhouse who cared only about herself and wasn't a hero, then...well, I stopped paying much attention. Is she a hero again? Sullen, self centered and frankly mean, or happy, fun, heroic, and good?

Here's a minor question I have; remember the nu52 series Mr. Terrific? Yes, I know, it was traumatizing to me too, it was so very, very bad. But it was the first appearance of the nu52 terrible version of Power Girl. Recall her very first scene, she's wearing Mr. Terrific's T-shirt and little else, having apparently just slept with him. So here's my question; recall the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing? Well, this is a case of "Woman of Steel, Man of Kleenex". Also remember that Mr. Terrific thought she was just a normal, though hot and rich, woman. He had no idea she was Kryptonian....even though one would think that crippling or fatal sex with her might be a slight clue. Since that didn't happen....how? Why not? It's not like she could set up a bunch of red lights and the "third smartest man in the world" wouldn't notice. And she had no Kryptonite, or access to magic at that time. How'd she do it?
    Same way Superman had sex with Lois without killing or crippling her for life.

Here's a minor question I have; remember the nu52 series Mr. Terrific? Yes, I know, it was traumatizing to me too, it was so very, very bad. But it was the first appearance of the nu52 terrible version of Power Girl. Recall her very first scene, she's wearing Mr. Terrific's T-shirt and little else, having apparently just slept with him. So here's my question; recall the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing?
    The "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" debate only works if you discount the incredible amount of self-control a Kryptonian has over their bodily functions. While we have involuntary reactions our conscious brains don't have any control over, Kryptonians seemingly don't have involuntary reactions at all....or at least can regulate them way more than we can. They'd never be able to live among people otherwise, much less maintain secret identities.

I mean, think about it. If someone walk around a corner and it jumps you, you flinch; it's an involuntary reaction that probably results in you stepping back quickly, maybe flailing your arms a bit, letting out a gasp or a squeak. If a Kryptonian reacted the same way, even at just 1% of their ability, that back-step would crack and shatter pavement, the slightly flailing arms would crumple walls and nearby people, the gasp they let out would knock people over with the force of the air being taken into the Kryptonian's lungs.

Kryptonian biology doesn't work like our's. They have control we can't even dream of. So if Clark and Karen and Kara can go about their lives in densely populated cities without anyone even realizing they're anything but normal humans, then they can have sex and, um, "finish their business" as it were. That's just another involuntary reaction and there's no reason to think that they can regulate all of those, except for the one between their legs.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-12-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" debate only works if you discount the incredible amount of self-control a Kryptonian has over their bodily functions. While we have involuntary reactions our conscious brains don't have any control over, Kryptonians seemingly don't have involuntary reactions at all....or at least can regulate them way more than we can. They'd never be able to live among people otherwise, much less maintain secret identities.

I mean, think about it. If someone walk around a corner and it jumps you, you flinch; it's an involuntary reaction that probably results in you stepping back quickly, maybe flailing your arms a bit, letting out a gasp or a squeak. If a Kryptonian reacted the same way, even at just 1% of their ability, that back-step would crack and shatter pavement, the slightly flailing arms would crumple walls and nearby people, the gasp they let out would knock people over with the force of the air being taken into the Kryptonian's lungs.

Kryptonian biology doesn't work like our's. They have control we can't even dream of. So if Clark and Karen and Kara can go about their lives in densely populated cities without anyone even realizing they're anything but normal humans, then they can have sex and, um, "finish their business" as it were. That's just another involuntary reaction and there's no reason to think that they can regulate all of those, except for the one between their legs.
    The only problem with that is...that version of PG was shown to need quite a bit of training to even throw a big rock and hit a target. And I can't recall a single time that any version of PG has exhibited THAT sort of control...especially during an activity that isn't exactly known for...control...

Putting it another way, if Kara loses total control over her entire body even for a second, Mr. Terrific would no longer be a Mister...if you get the meaning. I'm fairly sure he would have notice that, and perhaps let it slip in casual after conversation, along with all the screams.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Same way Superman had sex with Lois without killing or crippling her for life.
    How is that?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

It always came across as something like the infamous Martha bit; someone stumbles upon it, thinks themselves a prophet and does not invest any thought further.

You mean to tell me he never broke wind or had a nightmare where he wakes up screaming to find out he leveled a building? He never sneezed and knocked a skyscraper down? He has to find a toilet made of drawfstar material so he can use the restroom? We allow those flights of fancy, but "being intimate with a lover? I'm out." Come on. People like this are looking for something to poke at so they can look clever. They get past the glasses, the physics that must be damned for Superman to lift objects/save people as he does, that he can not go insane hearing unspeakable horror at any moment... But how dare he... The absolute gall of DC for insinuating he can have sex on this planet of individuals who look exactly like him save for particularly blue eyes. It's just silly to draw the line there.

The conceit is that they have enough control of their powers that they can lift a glass of water with it no worse for wear. Come on, man. They can hug a person without compressing them. They can lift a carton of milk without it going into space. They can open a door without ripping it off. They can dial their powers down to where they need them to be. They can have sex. We allow suspension of disbelief with all physics when Kryptonians are involved because, frankly, it's not at all the same beast if we must adhere to them. If we're going to say Clark can't have sex because he may ejaculate and kill Lois, then we have to establish how he uses the restroom, handles sneezing, and so forth. It's a can of worms best left unopened.

And I mean you do this every day to begin with. We all limit our strength subconsciously. Who pulls the milk out of the fridge with the same force they would pulling a metal beam off a loved one's leg? Who does everything at their full strength? I would hate to see how those people wipe after dropping deuce. You know, more than I normally would.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-12-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It always came across as something like the infamous Martha bit; someone stumbles upon it, thinks themselves a prophet and does not invest any thought further.

You mean to tell me he never broke wind or had a nightmare where he wakes up screaming to find out he leveled a building? He never sneezed and knocked a skyscraper down? He has to find a toilet made of drawfstar material so he can use the restroom? We allow those flights of fancy, but "being intimate with a lover? I'm out." Come on. People like this are looking for something to poke at so they can look clever. They get past the glasses, the physics that must be damned for Superman to lift objects/save people as he does, that he can not go insane hearing unspeakable horror at any moment... But how dare he... The absolute gall of DC for insinuating he can have sex on this planet of individuals who look exactly like him save for particularly blue eyes. It's just silly to draw the line there.

The conceit is that they have enough control of their powers that they can lift a glass of water with it no worse for wear. Come on, man. They can hug a person without compressing them. They can lift a carton of milk without it going into space. They can open a door without ripping it off. They can dial their powers down to where they need them to be. They can have sex. We allow suspension of disbelief with all physics when Kryptonians are involved because, frankly, it's not at all the same beast if we must adhere to them. If we're going to say Clark can't have sex because he may ejaculate and kill Lois, then we have to establish how he uses the restroom, handles sneezing, and so forth. It's a can of worms best left unopened.

And I mean you do this every day to begin with. We all limit our strength subconsciously. Who pulls the milk out of the fridge with the same force they would pulling a metal beam off a loved one's leg? Who does everything at their full strength? I would hate to see how those people wipe after dropping deuce. You know, more than I normally would.
    Good thing you added that last bit...

Astonishing Member

Speaking of Supergirl, as I haven't followed her for a while and therefore don't know; did they ever find a good way of portraying her? I mean, she was originally a bland, whitebread lesser female version of her cousin, then with the Kryptonian reboot she became...a sullen, bratty powerhouse who cared only about herself and wasn't a hero, then...well, I stopped paying much attention. Is she a hero again? Sullen, self centered and frankly mean, or happy, fun, heroic, and good?
    Honestly, the most consistent portrayal of Supergirl are in Superman/JLU and the TV show. Comic Supergirl switches from sweetheart to selfish brat depending on the writer or story arc.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, the most consistent portrayal of Supergirl are in Superman/JLU and the TV show. Comic Supergirl switches from sweetheart to selfish brat depending on the writer or story arc.
    Oh, still on with that, are they? Hopefully they pick one sometime soon.

Extraordinary Member

Just like the few teen girls I know in real life.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, I just found out the difference between Linda Danvers and Linda Lee Danvers. Man, that was confusing.

I'm okay with that, and hey, if Kara keeps being PG, the Supergirl can go to Tanya Spears. Supergirl is a high profile identity and if they wanna do diversity that will be the right way to do it.