Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Powergirl should be deliberately played as a contrast (but not outright opposite) to Supergirl. They really are aimed at different demographics. Supergirl was made in the 50’s and has always tended towards a more idealistic “wholesome,” aesthetic aimed at young girls. Powergirl was made in the 70’s a time when superhero comics were starting to skew older. Powergirl is edgier then Supergirl. Her personality is more abrasive, shes more impulsive, and yes her costume is more provocative. She really seems aimed more at teenage aged boys. It’s like her creators said “you know all those ideas that are too extreme for Supergirl. Let’s spin them off into their own character.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Powergirl should be deliberately played as a contrast (but not outright opposite) to Supergirl. They really are aimed at different demographics. Supergirl was made in the 50’s and has always tended towards a more idealistic “wholesome,” aesthetic aimed at young girls. Powergirl was made in the 70’s a time when superhero comics were starting to skew older. Powergirl is edgier then Supergirl. Her personality is more abrasive, shes more impulsive, and yes her costume is more provocative. She really seems aimed more at teenage aged boys. It’s like her creators said “you know all those ideas that are too extreme for Supergirl. Let’s spin them off into their own character.”
    This makes a lot of sense but writers tend to push Supergirl in an extreme direction too and it feels so forced( currently with BWL, Red Lantern phase and in earlier eras).

Extraordinary Member

It's a bit sad to see that PG is tied at #63 with Alan Scott on CBR's most important DC characters list. Back when she was being published, she used to figure into the top 20 on these things. I expect that to pick up...probably not too much this year, as it seems PG won't be making any real appearances till the back end of the year, and that sort of thing needs time to work. And it sort of depends on whether she's merely a minor background figure in the JSA only, as seems likely, or in the opposite case if she gets another solo title and perhaps makes it into some other media project other than games. Maybe that Black Adam movie. Some form of the JSA will appear, depends I suppose on when it's set, and if the Rock wants her there...if he does, it seems a fair bet she will be. Maybe later on in the Stargirl show. Probably not for either, but hey, this thread survives on hope.

I still think a Wonder Woman/Power Girl duo title would not only be great for PG, but probably quite fun with the right writer/artist team...so while I'm sort of wishing...

And a JSA animated movie or series, (since I know PG would never get one of her own), with PG as a major character would be great too, while I'm at it. And, pending the outcome of the Arrowverse COIE, why not finally bite the bullet and use PG for a few episodes on Supergirl, Flash, or much better, Legends. Anyone who read JLE knows what a perfect fit she could be on Legends.
    Last edited by achilles; 01-06-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's a bit sad to see that PG is tied at #63 with Alan Scott on CBR's most important DC characters list. Back when she was being published, she used to figure into the top 20 on these things. I expect that to pick up...probably not too much this year, as it seems PG won't be making any real appearances till the back end of the year, and that sort of thing needs time to work. And it sort of depends on whether she's merely a minor background figure in the JSA only, as seems likely, or in the opposite case if she gets another solo title and perhaps makes it into some other media project other than games. Maybe that Black Adam movie. Some form of the JSA will appear, depends I suppose on when it's set, and if the Rock wants her there...if he does, it seems a fair bet she will be. Maybe later on in the Stargirl show. Probably not for either, but hey, this thread survives on hope.

I still think a Wonder Woman/Power Girl duo title would not only be great for PG, but probably quite fun with the right writer/artist team...so while I'm sort of wishing...

And a JSA animated movie or series, (since I know PG would never get one of her own), with PG as a major character would be great too, while I'm at it. And, pending the outcome of the Arrowverse COIE, why not finally bite the bullet and use PG for a few episodes on Supergirl, Flash, or much better, Legends. Anyone who read JLE knows what a perfect fit she could be on Legends.
    I'm not opposed to a Wonder Woman/Power Girl team up comic, but Diana needs to interact more with her own family first.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This makes a lot of sense but writers tend to push Supergirl in an extreme direction too and it feels so forced( currently with BWL, Red Lantern phase and in earlier eras).
    Not only in the recent comics. Do you remember SBBF? Have you seen DC superhero girls? The Supergirl than appears there is a character more similar to Power girl than Supergirl (at least, from the only episode I saw).

And worse it was when in the new52 Earth2 they forced Kara in the Supergirl direction, making her more docile.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not only in the recent comics. Do you remember SBBF? Have you seen DC superhero girls? The Supergirl than appears there is a character more similar to Power girl than Supergirl (at least, from the only episode I saw).

And worse it was when in the new52 Earth2 they forced Kara in the Supergirl direction, making her more docile.
    The Supergirl in that cartoon is closer to a young Karen than Kara.

The attempts to make Kara edgy don't work at all. Infected Kara, Red Lantern Kara, early New 52 Kara and Kara when she was basically a jerk to everyone pre New 52 all felt forced to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

That show parodies most of its characters though.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not opposed to a Wonder Woman/Power Girl team up comic, but Diana needs to interact more with her own family first.
    I did indeed mean it as a separate comic book, leaving Diana free to do whatever in her own title.

Extraordinary Member

Which set-up for Kara/Karen would you guys prefer, going back to about the All-Star Earth 2 days, or back to where she left off with her own pre-Flashpoint solo series/ JSA with all the post COIE stories still valid?

I would do to the pre-Flashpoint status, but tweaked to clean her and establishing than she is from earth 2 but she has been trapped on earth 0. And bring back the OG Earth 2, and use Power Girl to explore that world again.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Supergirl in that cartoon is closer to a young Karen than Kara....

Most definitely she is. Before I knew better I thought she was supposed to be teen Karen/PG.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Which set-up for Kara/Karen would you guys prefer, going back to about the All-Star Earth 2 days, or back to where she left off with her own pre-Flashpoint solo series/ JSA with all the post COIE stories still valid?
    I'd like to pick up where we left off. At least conceptually.

Karen is a refugee of the multiverse, originally from some earth-2 like world (I'm not overly picky on whether it's the actual earth-2 at this point) who has spent years of her life on the main earth and now runs her own company.

Even if we got the JSA and everyone back on earth-2, I'd like to have Karen on the main continuity. The idea of a multiversal refugee is a pretty great, very Super type of story and even though I don't want tons and tons of constant crossover between worlds with people moving freely to and fro, I do like the idea of Karen being the exception to that rule.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hopefully we'll see her kick ass soon with the JSA.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Damn, I go away for a week and we start up a new thread! Here's to hoping good things are on PG's horizon in 2020.

Incredible Member

Harley Quinn Aand PG together again:

https://www.cbr.com/dc-harley-quinn-...tm_name=iossmf