Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Fans becoming writers is a double-edged sword. While you can get someone who is lacking in experience and discipline. Even fans can hurt a character as seen in One More Day.
    Editorial supervision is always a must. And the editors should be there in part to prevent those sorts of things. I view it as being akin to reigning in George Lucas. When he listened to other people he made Star Wars and Raiders. When he stopped; Prequels and Crystal Skull. Not to mention Greedo shot first...cgi monsters messing up the screen...

Everyone needs a Spielberg at times to give them a sanity check; I think that's what didn't happen with OMD and similar stories.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Editorial supervision is always a must. And the editors should be there in part to prevent those sorts of things. I view it as being akin to reigning in George Lucas. When he listened to other people he made Star Wars and Raiders. When he stopped; Prequels and Crystal Skull. Not to mention Greedo shot first...cgi monsters messing up the screen...

Everyone needs a Spielberg at times to give them a sanity check; I think that's what didn't happen with OMD and similar stories.
    Even Spielberg had his lapses. Crystal Skull with the monkey scene and toning down the violence because he was a grandfather now, and wanted his grandkids to be able to enjoy the movie. It's the same reason he edited the guns out of E.T. and replaced them with walkie talkies. Sanitizing his own vision for younger audiences.

The new cautionary tale of the "fan turned pro" is JJ Abrams and his mates Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. What those men have done to Star Wars, Star Trek on film and tv, The Amazing Spider-Man movies, and Transformers has been recorded by the internet. Most if not all of the franchise IPs they've touched are now on indefinite hiatus or were cancelled during their run. Somehow they still get work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Even Spielberg had his lapses. Crystal Skull with the monkey scene and toning down the violence because he was a grandfather now, and wanted his grandkids to be able to enjoy the movie. It's the same reason he edited the guns out of E.T. and replaced them with walkie talkies. Sanitizing his own vision for younger audiences.

The new cautionary tale of the "fan turned pro" is JJ Abrams and his mates Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. What those men have done to Star Wars, Star Trek on film and tv, The Amazing Spider-Man movies, and Transformers has been recorded by the internet. Most if not all of the franchise IPs they've touched are now on indefinite hiatus or were cancelled during their run. Somehow they still get work.
    I'm sure Spielberg did. But the larger point is that every writer needs someone to act as a sanity check. And that doesn't mean yes-men, or someone who shares your exact taste, but rather someone who is willing to point out that Jar Jar sucks, or that the monkeys in Crystal Skull were a dumb idea, (to be fair, that entire movie was a dumb idea). Or to rewrite the opening credit crawl when yours is junk. Obviously, Abrams didn't have the sort of neutral, willing to tell you when you're acting nuts sort of buddies. But early on, Spielberg and a few others could still talk to Lucas and talk him down off ledges, which showed in his early work, by far his best. That's the sort you need.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-22-2020 at 08:06 AM.

New story, well, a reupload -

Title

Lois Lane Power Woman

Summary

We all know the multiverse is vast: infinite choices, infinite possibilities, and infinite outcomes. In one universe what if Matrix/Supergirl sacrificed herself not to save a dying Linda Danvers but instead a dying Lois Lane? What would change for our heroes, villains, and citizens? How would this affect both Lois and Clark? Behold the tale of Lois Lane Power Woman of DC Earth-899!

Characters

[Lois Lane, Clark K./Kal-El/Superman, Karen Starr/Kara Zor-L/Power Girl] Lex Luthor

Rated - M for Mature

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13561353/1/

If so inclined, enjoy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You know what would be nice? If DC truly took fan submissions to audition future talent. I don't mean that thing they have now, but a real thing where people with no or little previous pro writing gigs get a chance to audition, much like that thing Top Cow used to run, (maybe they still do, I don't know)

fans turned writers might be the way to break those characters out----after all, fans often tend to be more passionate about certain characters like PG than the pro talent. Why not give them a chance if someone can come up with a compelling plan and demonstrates good writing skills?
    I agree with the idea of fan-turned-talent being a double edged sword.

First, imagine how many submissions DC would get? Top Cow could get away with it because they were a small publisher but DC is a major company and would get so many submissions they'd have to create a whole new branch of editorial just to sort through it all. And 99.9% of what gets sent in would probably be pretty awful. Of that last little 0.5%, you'd get plenty of great ideas coming from people who can't write. And of those few who can write and also have good ideas, how many of them would be able to make deadlines, deal with editorial mandates, and everything else that goes into the production chain? What if that idea they submitted is the only good idea they have? That's a lot of effort for one story.

Yeah, DC would absolutely generate some goodwill, and they could find some really impressive unknown talent. Maybe the next Moore is sitting on CBR bitching about comics right now, who knows? But the effort necessary to find that talent? That new fan-turned-pro would probably have to churn out high selling books for quite a while before DC made up the money they sunk finding him/her.

Trust me, I wish they would do this sort of thing. I'd submit a few things myself.

Perhaps a more focused approach would be better. We know that pros hang out on these forums occasionally as well as interact on social media with fans, and I hear (might not be true?) that publishers keep an eye on what social media and the forums are saying (I'm guessing maybe some junior editor or something has to spend his Thursday trolling forums?). So maybe it'd be better if they took note of posters who might be potentially worth hiring; the ones who consistently drop quality ideas and seem mature enough to handle professional work, send them a private message with a NDA, and let them submit that way. The NDA would prevent people from bitching about their script not being picked up, saving DC a lot of bad PR, and preventing a mountain of unsolicited submissions being sent to the talent headhunter. It'd be more cost effective than open submissions. And if they did find a quality talent they could still claim they're elevating fans to the professional ranks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I think probably nearly as many people entered the Top Cow contests as would a DC version; the reason being that it was really the only game in town if you wanted to try to break into the comic book industry. Yes, it's work, but then everything is, and I'm not impressed with DC's recent efforts at expanding the talent pool, coming mainly from people who already had track records and/or knew someone. And honestly, a contest like the ones Top Cow did is a much better way to evaluate talent than simply perusing the boards at CBR, though if DC isn't doing that too, they should. In the contests, you were essentially judged on your ability to tell a story based on certain elements given in the rules. That sounds a lot like what actually happens. And you can pretty easily determine what among the submissions are worth reading further, usually within a few pages, so it shouldn't be too hard to weed out the dross. I would assume that you would only want to pursue further people who can demonstrate an ability to write and tell a story with compelling characters. Then, for the winners for example, Top Cow would offer a chance to write a published story, and DC could as well, perhaps in a title like Showcase. Then, if they seem to work, they could be tried on other titles and characters, more important than Showcase.

Extraordinary Member

c95ef85f35ba7d71b5f9f6b7e81b5045.jpg

Here's a nice steampunk PG.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Here's Good Girl, an obvious Power Girl stand-in from Image in 1998. Her bust gets bigger, she gets dumber, and her powers grow...

98835-18264-106950-1-c-h-i-x.jpg

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, Power Girl had a tortured 80s and early 90s in terms of her history. Once Johns restored her Kryptonian heritage, PG was fixed while Supergirl has only just barely found her fitting... and then Year of the Villain. Alas.

As much as I miss seeing her, given the turmoil the industry is in and how some books are getting moved to digital conclusions, perhaps it's for the best we're not appearing right this moment. Johns has teased coming back to the JSA recently (with Hitch, I think) so while the book may be quarterly, I imagine he'll put her in there. She's in every JSA project he's done since her reintroduction sans Stargirl (come on, season two).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, Power Girl had a tortured 80s and early 90s in terms of her history. Once Johns restored her Kryptonian heritage, PG was fixed while Supergirl has only just barely found her fitting... and then Year of the Villain. Alas.

As much as I miss seeing her, given the turmoil the industry is in and how some books are getting moved to digital conclusions, perhaps it's for the best we're not appearing right this moment. Johns has teased coming back to the JSA recently (with Hitch, I think) so while the book may be quarterly, I imagine he'll put her in there. She's in every JSA project he's done since her reintroduction sans Stargirl (come on, season two).
    I would personally love it if Karen showed up in Stargirl, though personally I kind of want Stargirl to basically be the new JSA/Infinity Inc show.

However if that happens I imagine it’d be kind of weird if they actually do a crossover with the Arrowverse, we would be ironically seeing an interaction where Karen would meet Kara who may be more experienced then her assuming that she would not be on the original JSA that fought the injustice society.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.