Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    There's where the unfortunate reality of the link to Supergirl fears it's head again. Why? Because isn't Supergirl's his Nightwing? Power Girl is the Nightwing of the older Superman that doesn't do adventures anymore. If they aren't going to make her on an earth where she is the Nightwing to her own Supes how does she function without diminishes/challenging Supergirl's primacy as the Nightwing?

In a way, I wonder if leaning into the fact of the relationship between the two femmes may be the only way. Like a big sister, little sister thing
    pp

They already did that post-Infinite Crisis through Flashpoint.
    It worked for me. And was the last time Karen had a series while still a JSA member.

But Kara is still a teenager unlike Karen who’s fully an adult. That’s why we say she’s current Superman’s Nightwing.

Or alternatively, you could say Karen is Superman’s Batwoman. A female cousin who is an adult, but works independently of Batman.

Could fourth wall breaking work for Power Girl?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who knows, they should give it a whirl in a minor story or so. I don't think they ever did that with her in all the time Harley was doing that in those stories. Meanwhile, it's maybe worth noting that PG actually was Nightwing for one story. Wherein SG was Flamebird, (okay so it was the Kryptonian version, not the Dick Grayson version). And, yeah, in a way she'd be the Nightwing of the Superman Family if DC treated her a bit better. But she needs more than just that as a unique role to play in the DCU. And if they do want to tie her more tightly to the SM Family; they're probably going to slap the "S" on her to brand her.

It's also worth noting she was also in a real sense Superman himself, well, she played his role once for sure, and probably at least three times, once in that manga thing where she actually was that world's Superman, once where she proclaimed herself to be her world's Superman, and once where she was basically the only one left to be Superman.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-28-2020 at 07:24 AM.

BANNED

It might be. If she has the Fourth Wall Breaking power, I can see her as the She-Hulk of the DC Universe which might be great because She-Hulk had a quite good track record for a character like her.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It would cement her as DC's She-Hulk, which may not be a bad idea since Jimmy and Amanda's PG (one of her most popular incarnations) generally leans to that mix of action and comedy anyway. It would certainly give her a niche in the Superfamily.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It would cement her as DC's She-Hulk, which may not be a bad idea since Jimmy and Amanda's PG (one of her most popular incarnations) generally leans to that mix of action and comedy anyway. It would certainly give her a niche in the Superfamily.
    That said, a few DC characters do that from time to time. Not huge characters, but neither is PG herself...yet.

Honestly, I wouldn't make that a focus of the regular character; I'd only use it in Elseworlds type stories, and keep the main character mostly a dramatic character, rather than a comedy one. It just seems too likely that DC would use that to make her even less used than she typically is.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That said, a few DC characters do that from time to time. Not huge characters, but neither is PG herself...yet.

Honestly, I wouldn't make that a focus of the regular character; I'd only use it in Elseworlds type stories, and keep the main character mostly a dramatic character, rather than a comedy one. It just seems too likely that DC would use that to make her even less used than she typically is.
    I think if they want to do that kind of thing they might want to do like the original Young Justice by PAD

spoilers:
    BatCat #1 revealed Helena is dating a female doctor. I know PG isn't one, but she's her most meaningful female friend and DC hates civilian relationships for superheroes so you guys think they're pulling the trigger? Wouldn't really be the first time King changed history to fit his narrative.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    BatCat #1 revealed Helena is dating a female doctor. I know PG isn't one, but she's her most meaningful female friend and DC hates civilian relationships for superheroes so you guys think they're pulling the trigger? Wouldn't really be the first time King changed history to fit his narrative.
    end of spoilers
    I don't know anything about that book, so I couldn't answer. I assume it's the Bertenelli version? If that's the case, I wouldn't expect that. If it's Wayne...still probably not. I don't think DC cares enough about either character to try much of anything at this point frankly.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know anything about that book, so I couldn't answer. I assume it's the Bertenelli version? If that's the case, I wouldn't expect that. If it's Wayne...still probably not. I don't think DC cares enough about either character to try much of anything at this point frankly.
    It’s helena Wayne

It's Wayne. King's their golden boy, they would probably do it if he asked. Honestly I don't think editorial is strong enough to really care about character consistency anymore.

Extraordinary Member

It's Wayne. King's their golden boy, they would probably do it if he asked. Honestly I don't think editorial is strong enough to really care about character consistency anymore.
    Hmm...is it the nu52 Helena Wayne, or a pre-COIE version? It would have a bearing on which Power Girl they may or may not plan on bringing back some day. I don't really want to see nu52 PG again, but pre Flashpoint PG is the one I want back.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Does it not take place in the mainstream universe? How does this work? Does it take place in the future?
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

It's been made quite clear that Tom King's new Bat Cat series isn't in the main continuity. It's designed to work as a sequel to his run, but it's even less binding than future state. I mean Bruce and Selina have already broken up. They're not getting married or having a kid anytime soon.

I also don't think the Helena reference means anything to either Karen or Kara, and especially not as far as the main continuity goes. Are we forgetting they already set up the return of Pre-flashpoint Karen in Deathstroke and showed her with the returned JSA in Doomsday Clock? Why do some of us seem to think Karen is just going to be dropped without a mention when the JSA get their relaunch?

Speaking of which, DC really needs to stop dragging their heels on it. Here's hoping it's in the march solicits next week.