Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast

I don't know. The idea of the reversion to the old origin was supposedly to be less complicated. Giving her an origin that basically encapsulates the Crisis and all of that seems quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't know. The idea of the reversion to the old origin was supposedly to be less complicated. Giving her an origin that basically encapsulates the Crisis and all of that seems quite the opposite.
    Eh, that's mostly just details. But the core of the origin, that Karen is from a dead universe and built a new life for herself in the main canon, is pretty straightforward and a great origin that isn't *too* overused.

Connecting Karen's origin to the Crisis and Superman.....those are great, they help cement Karen in DC's history and connect her (however tangentially) to a larger IP, but they're details that're ultimately little more important than why and how Krypton blew up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So let's go back a little...Karen was always kryptonian right? Even when she though she was atlantean. How the heck did that work? Did she not feel her power coming from the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

A nice moment from Wonder Woman #175.
    Was this before IC?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    So let's go back a little...Karen was always kryptonian right? Even when she though she was atlantean. How the heck did that work? Did she not feel her power coming from the sun?
    Yes and no. AFAIK she now is considered always having been Kryptonian with phases where she thought was not for ... reasons. I'm sure that back right after COIE and the following years the DC heads where adamant with Supes being the only Kryptonian.

If this is the WW 175 it is referring too its from 2001:

Which is 3y before the IC and they where probably already planning her reinstated origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Those other origins were the universe trying to incorporate her anomalous presence since she was a Kryptonian from a no longer existing universe. So her powers were operating differently because of the altering of reality. Around the time of WW174/5/6 3 parted she was still Atlantean. Supergirl's powers were still post earth Angel

Extraordinary Member

Wonder will never cease; I gather there was a sort of Power Girl appearance that went a bit beyond just showing up in a mass battle panel or two. She...er...survived this. I guess that's praise, considering the context of who didn't survive it...but still.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-multiverse-...earths-surtur/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

These "Tales of the Dark Multiverse" stories are crap. Who wants to watch heroes fail? That's all they are. I thought about getting this just because it has E-2 Superman in it but ugh! If these were positive what if stories that might be different.
    Assassinate Putin!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    These "Tales of the Dark Multiverse" stories are crap. Who wants to watch heroes fail? That's all they are. I thought about getting this just because it has E-2 Superman in it but ugh! If these were positive what if stories that might be different.
    I don't know about that. I adored their twisted take on the Death of Superman. It was was one of the best stand-alone stories I've read in years; creative and wicked with a hell of a gut-punch ending.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-15-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

The good folks at DC Comics, that's who. I get the impression they don't actually like many of their heroes, PG obviously included. Which seems odd to me, but hey, I'm not a big time comic book writer or editor.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The good folks at DC Comics, that's who. I get the impression they don't actually like many of their heroes, PG obviously included. Which seems odd to me, but hey, I'm not a big time comic book writer or editor.
    They just announced two villain books so maybe they're finally giving up the ruse. It can be frustrating at times because, surprise surprise, I like to see superheroes actually shine as beacons of what's good about us. Not more navel-gazing "but what if God was one of us?" Nonsense. I'm not saying they need to be perfect, but goddammit I want to see them win and not with some heavy cost where they go home and drink themselves to death because "true heroism comes at a cost." Bullshit. True heroism comes from helping others at no gain to yourself, loss or otherwise.

Death of Superman was pretty interesting and had outstanding artwork. To date, the only one I've enjoyed and I've read a handful of them. I admit, I got it for the Lee Weeks cover, to see more Loveness on Superman/Lois and that gorgeous Brad Walker art. I've read a few of them and most of them have been disappointing, but I typically don't like this sort of story either. I'll admit I'm only getting the CoIE one because I am just so starved for the JSA that I'll take almost anything at this point.

I would. IF the main series where in a good, stable place with no clusterf of turmoils going on. As it is such extra dark stories come over as vindictive metastory; salt for the wound. On top of being a bit superfluous considering that everything feels like it wants to be extra edgy these days. Thanks but really no thanks.

Extraordinary Member

This is what, the second or third time DC have promised to go to a lighter tone overall....and then promptly broken that promise?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    This is what, the second or third time DC have promised to go to a lighter tone overall....and then promptly broken that promise?
    General problem in almost all business these days. Its not just that they seriously need to get their sh together; they even more so need to keep it together for a prolonged time to regain trust. Talk is cheap; thats why they love to do it that much.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

And I did read the Death of Superman one and while it did have a good premise and story, the ending was a bit too Twilight Zone for my tastes. I assume that's standard for these books.
    Assassinate Putin!