Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

That Witchblade artist you're talking about must be Sejic, right?

Yeah, that guy can draw whatever the hell he wants, whenever the hell he wants. Easily one of the best talents in the industry, and from what I hear a really great guy too.

He writes as well, check out his current Black Label book Harleen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Yep! That's him!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I should perhaps clarify that I had no problem with Amanda's art, it was the writing I didn't like. The only issue with Amanda was that doing all that detail wore her out rather quickly. I don't know how she managed to keep up as well as she did, (lead time I'm guessing).

I will say that Waid, whatever else anyone thinks of him, got her right in that Brave and Bold issue with Wonder Woman...though it did continue to trope of PG being mind controlled. And I liked that James Robinson remembered that she's smart, more so than a human being could be, like SG. Then there was the guy who wrote that JSA vs Kobra thing, which was mainly a Mr. Terrific story, but had PG in a decent supporting role. But I'm sure the first person to write a truly classic PG story probably isn't anyone on my radar.
    I've not read Waid in nearly a decade so I didn't list him, though historically he has a good grasp on her with what little I've read him write PG.

Robinson is just a different beast now. He's not the man who wrote Starman if his Superman, Wonder Woman and JLA are anything to go by, so that's a pass from me.

Eric Trautman wrote that book but if I recall it was serviceable. I should read it again. I don't remember much else other than he wrote it, Don Kramer drew it and I believe Gene Ha did covers.

Like Waid, I've always enjoyed Simone's Karen. Hope we see her under Gail's pen again.

Extraordinary Member

Kramer did a good job on PG, as did Ha on covers. I would be very open to Gail doing for PG what she did for...SS, WW, BoP...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Kramer did a good job on PG, as did Ha on covers. I would be very open to Gail doing for PG what she did for...SS, WW, BoP...
    It's a real shame she only gets limited series or short projects at DC these days. There are so many books that she'd be great on.

I vaguely recall hearing that Simone was one of the creators who didn't appreciate the heavy handed editorial during the New52 and started shopping around for other companies to work with. She clearly didn't leave DC completely, and I might be imagining all of this, but I feel like she cut back on her DC output intentionally.

Agree its a real shame, she's a good talent and DC is worse for her not being around as much.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I vaguely recall hearing that Simone was one of the creators who didn't appreciate the heavy handed editorial during the New52 and started shopping around for other companies to work with. She clearly didn't leave DC completely, and I might be imagining all of this, but I feel like she cut back on her DC output intentionally.

Agree its a real shame, she's a good talent and DC is worse for her not being around as much.
    I do know that Kevin Maguire was...a bit upset for a time at that. He seemed upset when he got the credit/blame for the abortive attempt to change Power Girl's costume in the nu52....noting that he just drew it according to editorial specs. And I think they also sort of drove off Perez. And the way they handled Simone's BG in that infamous situation...was low. I'd be very happy to see her back and treated better...and writing a Power Girl solo...or as I've advocated before if DC doesn't want to give her a solo straight off...a Wonder Woman/Power Girl title where they encounter a mix of sci-fi and magic type situations, playing to the strength of each.

All of what you guys have stated is stuff I remember reading too. Waid, Simone, Perez, Maguire and a lot of other talents who all have done good work with Karen. Shame editorial seems to be an influence in keeping them out.

I'm curious. If we got another team up book for Karen, who would you like to see be there co-star? Hard mode: no Helena, Atlee or someone you ship her with (no Dick Grayson, my fellow PowerWings).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    All of what you guys have stated is stuff I remember reading too. Waid, Simone, Perez, Maguire and a lot of other talents who all have done good work with Karen. Shame editorial seems to be an influence in keeping them out.

I'm curious. If we got another team up book for Karen, who would you like to see be there co-star? Hard mode: no Helena, Atlee or someone you ship her with (no Dick Grayson, my fellow PowerWings).
    I feel kind of bad about some of that stuff; I engaged without knowing they were following, with Maguire...sort of blaming him for that nu52 horrid redesign, which he responded to the effect that it wasn't really his design at all, and earlier to PAD, blaming him for that one-off, (nearly), thing before PG was retconned back to Kryptonian origins, the weakness to "raw unprocessed natural material", which basically made her nearly useless---it turned out to be another editorial decision. Ever since that and the Maguire thing, I've been more careful not to assign blame, now that I know that I really don't know who makes what decision.

As for team-ups books, I do like putting her with Diana for the contrast in styles, the contrast in genres, (or the potential for doing that), and the different personalities. I also always liked the few interactions she had with Ted Kord and Booster. And I'd like to see a more focused, one on one deal with her and Alan or Jay or Dr. Fate.

Beyond that, Batman...she rarely works with him. Vril Dox maybe, or Captain Comet?

A power girl/ Jessica cruz book please. I'd love them as BFFs.

Now when I think of it, Power Girl is probably the closest thing to She-Hulk that DC has: power level at the highest end, a combo of brawniness and fan service, being smarter than they look, and the personality to lean on or break on the fourth wall.

It's rather similar to the original Wonder Woman, by Marston. Simone hinted at more than a bit of kink subtext in the way she wrote the two, and it's something that could work well. They could be good platonic friends in private, and drive the boys crazy in public; that could do wonders in bringing out the funny side of Wonder Woman (something which is shown far too little nowadays).

Power Girl and Detective Chimp. I have no idea how well it would work in practice—probably no more than a couple of one-off stories—but they both have a devil-may-care attitude and leans on the fourth wall.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I'd like to see her hang out with Jesse Quick more, honestly. Or Wally.

Before he got *completely* ruined I think Karen and Jason Rusch's Firestorm would've had an interesting dynamic too.

Or we could go really crazy and have Karen spend more time with Superman!

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd like to see her hang out with Jesse Quick more, honestly. Or Wally.

Before he got *completely* ruined I think Karen and Jason Rusch's Firestorm would've had an interesting dynamic too.

Or we could go really crazy and have Karen spend more time with Superman!
    Oh yeah, Wally's another one she had a fun relationship with, but I don't know if it would work now. Too much water under the bridge for both of them; Karen can still be funny, but I don't know if Wally can. Thanks, Heroes in Crisis. Thanks, Flashpoint.

Extraordinary Member

Captain Atom maybe for a shared title? They seemed to go well together in Generation Lost, and there's the shared JL history. And if they ever decide to pick up that Saturn Queen time war story that's so far been left untold beyond the hint that it happened...or will happen, PG could use Booster. And if it could be a three person title, how about Fire and Ice. They're fun associated characters who never really had too much time with PG. I'd love to see their interplay on a more extended basis than Fire and Ice just trying to survive a mind controlled PG...
    Last edited by achilles; 01-16-2020 at 12:11 PM.