Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lois Lane Appreciation 2020

New year, new thread!

This thread is for the Daily Planet's top reporter, Lois Lane!

Please read the rules regarding Appreciation threads at the top of the forum and appreciate away!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Happy New Year everyone!

Hopefully this year we will see more comics about Lois. And her becoming a Superwoman.

b2ae765f-344d-428b-906e-9413cff57e7e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Happy New Year everyone!

Hopefully this year we will see more comics about Lois. And her becoming a Superwoman.

b2ae765f-344d-428b-906e-9413cff57e7e.jpg
    Happy New Year!! And yeah...just seeing that image of the SuperFamily makes me wonder when we'll be meeting their daughter finally. I remember the Rebirth team (Superman + AC writers) wanted to give them a daughter, and now with Bendis we get this little tease. Hehe, just read Lois Lane #7 today and was really cool, btw! Loving the friendship between Lois and Renee!
    Last edited by TomariS; 01-01-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    "My heart is tied to the fate of yours. The only test of strength that will ever truly challenge me, is to be vulnerable next to you. To trust...you." - For Lois (Shane Koyczan)

Quote Originally Posted by TomariS View Post
    Happy New Year!! And yeah...just seeing that image of the SuperFamily makes me wonder when we'll be meeting their daughter finally. I remember the Rebirth team (Superman + AC writers) wanted to give them a daughter, and now with Bendis we get this little tease. Hehe, just read Lois Lane #7 today and was really cool, btw! Loving the friendship between Lois and Renee!
    Two events from Clark's vision came true. Arthur and Mera have a daughter and married Jimmy Olsen. Judging by Doomsday Clock 12, Bruce and Selina will also have a daughter, as was shown in Clark's vision. So I hope that Lois will become a mother again, and that she will become Superwoman will also come true.

I'm not into Lois with powers (I think it very contrary to what the character should be) and don't want them to have another child.* I would like to see more of her being an awesome reporter. And for Jon to be 10/11 again, but that ain't gonna happen.

Also miss the idea of Selina's child who is not Bruce's actually mattering.

Didn't read Doomsday Clock, though, so don't even know if we're talking current continuity. What's this about a married Jimmy Olsen? I haven't been reading as I did not like Bendis' characterization of Lois.

* I wouldn't want her to have another anyway, but since their last two kids got speed-aged, I'm even more negative about it. No way they get to actually raise a baby.

Edit:Looked up Jix. Doesn't sound like my thing. I prefer a more grounded version wacky-hijinks silver age Jimmy.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

Lois Lane # 7 was out this week, and unsurprisingly, was good. Good, not great. I do think the run as a whole will shape up to be something I consider great, but I think it's also going to be the sum of its parts. And with the monthly in and out, Rucka's got to keep up with whatever Bendis is flinging at the wall in Superman & Action. In this case, this issue felt a week behind rather than a week advanced or continued, but that being said, it did still manage to do interesting, good things with the current status quo that feel, well, very LOIS, very QUESTION ... and very CHECKMATE. All in one issue that had Montoya judging Lois about two-timing Clark Kent with Superman that is like, the last time in current continuity anyone will be able to cast those assertions and judgments Lois's way. Like, it played as funny ... but a little out of step, because we already watched Clark unmask like two weeks ago.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

What are the top 20 (or less) Lois Lane stories/books you'd recommend to somebody?

Right now I just got those three YA novels, but I'm really looking forward to that upcoming Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge book that looks cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What are the top 20 (or less) Lois Lane stories/books you'd recommend to somebody?

Right now I just got those three YA novels, but I'm really looking forward to that upcoming Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge book that looks cute.
    The Gwenda Bond novels are fantastic and definitely a must read. Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite/most interesting takes on Lois. Most are available on Comixology or DC Universe.

1. Adventures of Superman #625–648 (Vol. 1 Unconventional Warfare, Vol. 2 That Healing Touch, Vol. 3 Ruin Revealed) - Greg Rucka/Matthew Clark Adventures of Superman run is probably Lois' best modern portrayal. This deals with Lois getting shot while embedded in DCU's take on the Iraq War and her subsequent investigation of her own shooting. It's the B-Story to the Ruin plot at the time, but it's one of the best Lois stories out there IMO. These are kinda hard to find. And are not available digitally for some reason, which annoys me to no end because it's also my favorite Superman run.

2. Birthright - Superman origin, but a great modern take on Lois throughout. Secret Origin 3-6 is another good Lois intro.

3. Lois Lane #7 (2019 series) - This is probably one of the best character studies of Lois that's ever been done. It is an interlude in her current maxi series, but just is an exceptionally well done one off issue focusing on her and her father.

4. Showcase 96 #3 - A Lois team up with Black Canary.

5. Brave and the Bold #175 - Pre-Crisis Lois & Batman team up to take on Metallo.

6. Smallville Season 11 - There are a lot of good Lois stories in this run. The Olympus collection is decent. Her team up with Lana (can't recall the issues) and the Batman run which has her working with Barbara Gordon are all very good. This is probably one of Lois' most consistently well done portrayals outside of Rucka's Adventures of Superman.

7. Lois Lane (1985) 1-2 - This is a pre-crisis miniseries that is ridiculously dark for a mainstream DC Book now, let alone in 1980's - basically Lois working on uncovering child molestation and murder.

8. Action Comics 884 - This was in the whole New Krypton storyline, but it's another great Rucka written Lois story where she squares off with her Dad and Perry White.

9. Injustice 2 Annual #2 - A flashback tale for featuring Lois & Clark helping track down who tried to kill Bruce Wayne. Tom Taylor gets Lois as well as anyone, and it's a real shame that he didn't get to write her more here.

10. Superman Rebirth #31-32 - Lois interviewing Deathstroke, a fill in for the Tomasi run, but I liked it a lot.

11. Birds of Prey #102 - Lois squaring off with Oracle. Nicola Scott and Gail Simone would make for a great followup to Rucka's maxi series.

12. Superman (Vol. 2) 59 - One of the post engagement issues. It's a good conversation between the two of them when Lois was contemplating their engagement. If I remember correctly it came after a pretty dumb Joker story.

13. Glasses from Mysteries of Love in Space - The recent look at Lois' look at Clark Kent. It's a Clark story from Lois' POV, but it really does a pretty good job of handling their dynamic.

14. From Krypton with Love in Superman 80 Page Giant #2 - Mark Millar of all people (he generally has horrible takes on Lois) Similar to Glasses but another interesting look at Lois & Clark's dynamic.

15. Action Comics #792 - Clark investigating a local newspaper stand owners disappearance. But has some great interplay of Lois & Clark as reporters.

16. Superman 168 & Detective Comics #756 - Lois & Batman teaming up to steal Luthor's kryptonite ring after he becomes president.

17. Wonder Woman #170 She's a Wonder - This is basically Lois writing a profile of Wonder Woman and explores their dynamic. It's interesting because it gives a good look at how they play off each other and in relation to Superman. Not the best story for Lois or Womder Woman, but I think it ultimately is worth a read.

18. Supreme: Blue Rose - "Diana Dane" is Supreme's take on Lois Lane and this is Warren Ellis writing about Lois investigating the disappearance of Clark Kent at the behest of Lex Luthor. It's kinda trippy - it'd help the be famaliar with Alan Moore's Supreme run and his take on the way continuity reboots work via "The Supremacy" - so definitely not for everyone, but I just picked it up and have really liked it.

19. Man and Superman - I really liked the way they introduced Lois in this series. She's basically a legend to Clark before she's officially introduced. I don't particularly care for the Lois/Luthor relationship hinted at here, but it's otherwise a solid Lois intro.

20. Superman Family - The Mr. and Mrs. Superman stories starting in 201 I believe. Kinda dated, but I recently picked some of these up and they are a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-03-2020 at 09:39 AM.

I really do hope we get some good stuff of Lois this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The Gwenda Bond novels are fantastic and definitely a must read. Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite/most interesting takes on Lois. Most are available on Comixology or DC Universe.

1. Adventures of Superman #625–648 (Vol. 1 Unconventional Warfare, Vol. 2 That Healing Touch, Vol. 3 Ruin Revealed) - Greg Rucka/Matthew Clark Adventures of Superman run is probably Lois' best modern portrayal. This deals with Lois getting shot while embedded in DCU's take on the Iraq War and her subsequent investigation of her own shooting. It's the B-Story to the Ruin plot at the time, but it's one of the best Lois stories out there IMO. These are kinda hard to find. And are not available digitally for some reason, which annoys me to no end because it's also my favorite Superman run.

2. Birthright - Superman origin, but a great modern take on Lois throughout. Secret Origin 3-6 is another good Lois intro.

3. Lois Lane #7 (2019 series) - This is probably one of the best character studies of Lois that's ever been done. It is an interlude in her current maxi series, but just is an exceptionally well done one off issue focusing on her and her father.

4. Showcase 96 #3 - A Lois team up with Black Canary.

5. Brave and the Bold #175 - Pre-Crisis Lois & Batman team up to take on Metallo.

6. Smallville Season 11 - There are a lot of good Lois stories in this run. The Olympus collection is decent. Her team up with Lana (can't recall the issues) and the Batman run which has her working with Barbara Gordon are all very good. This is probably one of Lois' most consistently well done portrayals outside of Rucka's Adventures of Superman.

7. Lois Lane (1985) 1-2 - This is a pre-crisis miniseries that is ridiculously dark for a mainstream DC Book now, let alone in 1980's - basically Lois working on uncovering child molestation and murder.

8. Action Comics 884 - This was in the whole New Krypton storyline, but it's another great Rucka written Lois story where she squares off with her Dad and Perry White.

9. Injustice 2 Annual #2 - A flashback tale for featuring Lois & Clark helping track down who tried to kill Bruce Wayne. Tom Taylor gets Lois as well as anyone, and it's a real shame that he didn't get to write her more here.

10. Superman Rebirth #31-32 - Lois interviewing Deathstroke, a fill in for the Tomasi run, but I liked it a lot.

11. Birds of Prey #102 - Lois squaring off with Oracle. Nicola Scott and Gail Simone would make for a great followup to Rucka's maxi series.

12. Superman (Vol. 2) 59 - One of the post engagement issues. It's a good conversation between the two of them when Lois was contemplating their engagement. If I remember correctly it came after a pretty dumb Joker story.

13. Glasses from Mysteries of Love in Space - The recent look at Lois' look at Clark Kent. It's a Clark story from Lois' POV, but it really does a pretty good job of handling their dynamic.

14. From Krypton with Love in Superman 80 Page Giant #2 - Mark Millar of all people (he generally has horrible takes on Lois) Similar to Glasses but another interesting look at Lois & Clark's dynamic.

15. Action Comics #792 - Clark investigating a local newspaper stand owners disappearance. But has some great interplay of Lois & Clark as reporters.

16. Superman 168 & Detective Comics #756 - Lois & Batman teaming up to steal Luthor's kryptonite ring after he becomes president.

17. Wonder Woman #170 She's a Wonder - This is basically Lois writing a profile of Wonder Woman and explores their dynamic. It's interesting because it gives a good look at how they play off each other and in relation to Superman. Not the best story for Lois or Womder Woman, but I think it ultimately is worth a read.

18. Supreme: Blue Rose - "Diana Dane" is Supreme's take on Lois Lane and this is Warren Ellis writing about Lois investigating the disappearance of Clark Kent at the behest of Lex Luthor. It's kinda trippy - it'd help the be famaliar with Alan Moore's Supreme run and his take on the way continuity reboots work via "The Supremacy" - so definitely not for everyone, but I just picked it up and have really liked it.

19. Man and Superman - I really liked the way they introduced Lois in this series. She's basically a legend to Clark before she's officially introduced. I don't particularly care for the Lois/Luthor relationship hinted at here, but it's otherwise a solid Lois intro.

20. Superman Family - The Mr. and Mrs. Superman stories starting in 201 I believe. Kinda dated, but I recently picked some of these up and they are a lot of fun.
    Adventures of Superman #625–648 not so hard to find. They are on one site in a digital format.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Here are 10 stories recommended by Brian Cronin on CBR:
    The Greatest Lois Lane Stories Ever Told!

Happy New Year to the Daily Planet's Ace Reporter .

I am thrilled to have finally gotten my hands on the first 6 issues of the LOIS LANE maxi series. I absolutely adore Rucka's handling of the Superman family. If we can't have a Warren Ellis run on Supes having Rucka return for a second run would be the next best thing for me as one of my favorite elements of Superman is the Daily Planet and his and Lois' relationship. Ellis and Rucka are among the few who seem to understand and appreciate the journalistic component and it really makes me happy to see it depicted in such a lively enthralling fashion.

Smile

Happy 2020 to the best (perhaps most deliciously complex) comic book love interest of all time, bar none. May the New Year bring great things for my second favorite female comic book character (behind Wonder Woman).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Wait, so I just found out that there's a new ONGOING solo title for a prominent female supporting character to a male super-hero ...

"The Amazing Mary Jane"

Man, what does it say about DC that Marvel has more faith in Mary Jane Watson than DC does about Lois Lane (whom I think is way more interesting, but then again, I'm njoy a Marvel guy).

Hopefully, Lois' solo maxi-series does well enough to warrant her own ongoing at some point.