Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Kara Zor-El: Supergirl Appreciation 2020

New year, new thread!

This thread is for the Maid of Might, Supergirl!

Please read the rules regarding Appreciation threads at the top of the forum and appreciate away!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Here's a cool art piece of Supergirl and Batgirl together by Otto Schmidt. I've got to say, I really like this Batgirl costume!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Here's a cool art piece of Supergirl and Batgirl together by Otto Schmidt. I've got to say, I really like this Batgirl costume!

Yes, I'm loving that batgirl suit. It feels a bit too huntress but it looks nice.

Also how old is Kara? It's like they always try to stick her in Babs generation but shes like incredibly younger. Babs is a women and Kara is still a child its weird. They need to stop de-aging her and make her the same age as Babs.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Yes, I'm loving that batgirl suit. It feels a bit too huntress but it looks nice.

Also how old is Kara? It's like they always try to stick her in Babs generation but shes like incredibly younger. Babs is a women and Kara is still a child its weird. They need to stop de-aging her and make her the same age as Babs.
    I think it's the purple that's making it look very Huntress-y, but I think they could tweak it a bit and make it Babs' own. However, the tweaking should be minor. I really like simple costumes for my heroes, suits that aren't busy busy (especially for my Bats). Too many new costumes look ugly because they're chunky and visually noisy.

Here, in the artwork, I think Kara is being depicted as being Babs' age, maybe a year or three younger, but around the same age. And I totally agree with you about the aging they do to Kara! I am so sick of them making Supergirl a teenager!

She should not be in highschool having highschool adventures and dramas like prom, boyfriends, and all this other lame stuff I'd find in a freaking Ms. Marvel book from Marvel. She's been around for so long yet they always seem to de-age her into a highschooler and drift her away from Babs' and her generation. DC really need to get off of this and let her be a young woman, that should be her status quo. She should be with and around the Titans circle and age. This is part of the reason why she's always stuck in this weird limbo or bubble of her own in the DC universe. She can't ever break out as a character fully because they keep her tied to this age gap/lack of a defining hero generation!

Babs was 21 in the New 52, and Kara was 16 in Rebirth. Babs is now in her late twenties (having been aged up around the time she changed her costume from the Burnside look to her current one), while Kara's age hasn't come up since Bendis took over Superman. I always thought though, that since Supergirl Rebirth tried to synergise her with the TV show, she shouldn't have been juggling school with her job at CatCo - she should've been old enough not to go to school. Hopefully once she's freed from her current Jokerisation, she'll be treated as an adult in her mid twenties, as she should be. There's no reason she shouldn't be around the same age as Batgirl and Nightwing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Babs was 21 in the New 52, and Kara was 16 in Rebirth. Babs is now in her late twenties (having been aged up around the time she changed her costume from the Burnside look to her current one), while Kara's age hasn't come up since Bendis took over Superman. I always thought though, that since Supergirl Rebirth tried to synergise her with the TV show, she shouldn't have been juggling school with her job at CatCo - she should've been old enough not to go to school. Hopefully once she's freed from her current Jokerisation, she'll be treated as an adult in her mid twenties, as she should be. There's no reason she shouldn't be around the same age as Batgirl and Nightwing.
    It’s literally one of the most blatant cases of character stagnation I’ve seen. And unlike other character stagnations, ‘cause you know the Big Two prevent characters from growing too much, Kara being in her twenties rather than teens isn’t even detrimental to the longevity of the character property compared to, say, Spider-Man being married and having a kid with MJ (not saying I agree with Marvel’s ideology behind keeping Peter single and young forever).
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-01-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Yeah... I mean, her being a few years younger can be explained by her being dead for a while (from 1986 to the mid 2000s) - you don't age when dead. But she certainly shouldn't still be a teenager.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I gotta agree nothing about Kara's misadventures as a high-schooler have ever intrested me.

TBH nothing in Kara civillian life has been all that engaging recently, it was sort of fun back in the New 52 when they still could play up the novelty of her being an alien adapting to this strange new world but I'd be down with them just having Kara hanging out in space having adventures for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I gotta agree nothing about Kara's misadventures as a high-schooler have ever intrested me.

TBH nothing in Kara civillian life has been all that engaging recently, it was sort of fun back in the New 52 when they still could play up the novelty of her being an alien adapting to this strange new world but I'd be down with them just having Kara hanging out in space having adventures for the next few years.
    It’s always felt like a weak attempt to copy Clark/Superman’s life outside of being a hero. She should totally be far and away from civilian life in my opinion. One of those heroes that stays around heroes or other supers all day everyday.

Happy New Year to the Maid of Might .

(I personally prefer Supergirl have some kind of civilian life).

It’s always felt like a weak attempt to copy Clark/Superman’s life outside of being a hero. She should totally be far and away from civilian life in my opinion. One of those heroes that stays around heroes or other supers all day everyday.
    You think she should be a Titan then? Because if she's based on Earth and isn't on the Titans or the Justice League, she'd need a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You think she should be a Titan then? Because if she's based on Earth and isn't on the Titans or the Justice League, she'd need a job.
    Having her on the Titans might be interesting, and I think someone had a similar story in the works a long time ago, but it never got made.

If not on Earth with the Titans, then maybe a satellite JL team. The JSA is PG's thing. I like her there. Then there was her time with the Legion. I really liked that.

Give her a dioplatic role working with or for the United Planets, have her going to the worlds and actually dealing directly with the people and whatever current crisis they may have.

Heck you could even have her form her own personal team to help made up of a bunch unused space related characters, there's more than few Green Lanterns now without a book.

I think it makes sense that Kara knowing what it means to lose a planet and not having the same connection to Earth as Clark would have a literal universal perspective on where she should be directing her attention.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Give her a dioplatic role working with or for the United Planets, have her going to the worlds and actually dealing directly with the people and whatever current crisis they may have.

Heck you could even have her form her own personal team to help made up of a bunch unused space related characters, there's more than few Green Lanterns now without a book.

I think it makes sense that Kara knowing what it means to lose a planet and not having the same connection to Earth as Clark would have a literal universal perspective on where she should be directing her attention.
    That’s a fun concept, I would totally read that. I’d like to see Diana snow up a few far and away issues every now and then since she’s a diplomat from Paradise Island (still? I don’t even remember what they did with her now).

That’s a fun concept, I would totally read that. I’d like to see Diana snow up a few far and away issues every now and then since she’s a diplomat from Paradise Island (still? I don’t even remember what they did with her now).
    You know I wouldn't be opposed to Donna being on the team, she actually has history of space adventures from her time on the Darkstars but if I'm being honest I just kind of want Kara ad Donna to fibslly have some sort of bond.

There essentially equivalents of each other but have never had any real interaction beforehand that I know of.