Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Kara Zor-L -- the Golden Age/Earth-2 version usually known as Power Girl -- also became Power Woman during Kingdom Come.
    Last edited by Shamrock Holmes; 09-26-2020 at 02:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Just to correct, Power Girl was never called Kara Zor-El apart from one misprinted comic book issue, she's Kara Zor-L.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I think the show going out after six seasons is good (I would like to have seen tie or surpass Arrow for the longest show season wise)
    Flash will be the first spin-off to do that. It's next season is 7, so it's pretty much guaranteed to match Arrow's eight seasons at this point. The next longest running show is Legends, which started the same year Supergirl did, but that needs to run three more seasons to match Arrow. Considering the cast turnover and the fact it isn't as popular as The Flash, I can see it not making it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Melissa Benoist gave birth a few weeks ago.
    https://bleedingcool.com/tv/supergir...y-robert-wood/
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Just to correct, Power Girl was never called Kara Zor-El apart from one misprinted comic book issue, she's Kara Zor-L.
    Fair point. Fixed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh this is juicy

https://twitter.com/sterlinggates/st...08267575115776

At SDCC last year, I approached a bunch of DC execs I know and asked if they were going to celebrate Supergirl's 60th. A comic, a book, a video, a blog post, anything.

One of them looked me square in the eye and said, "Well, she's got a tv show. That's celebration enough."

Sterling Gates
    @sterlinggates
    14h

What made it all the more frustrating is when I pointed out it was SG's 60th anniversary, no exec seemed to realize that. One exec said, "geez, she's that old?"

Institutional memory is a valuable thing, gang. Companies won't always have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh this is juicy

At SDCC last year, I approached a bunch of DC execs I know and asked if they were going to celebrate Supergirl's 60th. A comic, a book, a video, a blog post, anything.

One of them looked me square in the eye and said, "Well, she's got a tv show. That's celebration enough."

Sterling Gates
    @sterlinggates
    14h

What made it all the more frustrating is when I pointed out it was SG's 60th anniversary, no exec seemed to realize that. One exec said, "geez, she's that old?"

Of course they don’t give a damn, they were too busy celebrating Batman, Joker, and Catwoman’s anniversaries. And as much as I hate it, I can understand it. Batman is singlehandedly keeping DC alive right now, go check out how many Batbooks are the top sellers of DC. But damn if it doesn’t smart to see them be so open about it.

Oh this is juicy

Sterling Gates
    @sterlinggates
    14h

Guess it just goes to show how much value the comics side has when it comes to Supergirl, especially compared to Sterling gates who doesn't even write for her anymore .

Seems like as far as they're concerned, any Supergirl before New 52 didn't happen.

Extraordinary Member

Oh this is juicy

Sterling Gates
    @sterlinggates
    14h

I should be surprised by this. Why am I not?

Bring Ms. Benoist into the movies. Problem solved.

Astonishing Member

I think the biggest mistake the TV series made was not featuring Melissa enough. It became too much of an ensemble show when all I really cared about was Supergirl. It didn't help when all of the other characters seemed to have some political motivation behind them. The show should have been more about adventure and have less preaching.

It would be nice to finally get that Bronze Age omnibus for her anniversary, but I guess I may just have to get digital versions of all those books -- even though I do own most of the original books from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think the biggest mistake the TV series made was not featuring Melissa enough. It became too much of an ensemble show when all I really cared about was Supergirl. It didn't help when all of the other characters seemed to have some political motivation behind them. The show should have been more about adventure and have less preaching.

It would be nice to finally get that Bronze Age omnibus for her anniversary, but I guess I may just have to get digital versions of all those books -- even though I do own most of the original books from that era.
    Seems like it’s a reoccurring problem with the Arrowverse shows; the supporting cast ends up usurping the spotlight from the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Seems like it’s a reoccurring problem with the Arrowverse shows; the supporting cast ends up usurping the spotlight from the main character.
    Yeah, pretty much.

That aspect affects Supergirl more than the others, as she wasn't even the only superhero in her first season (they also had Martian Manhunter). At least the others waited until season 2 before adding multiple vigilantes.