Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    I would have to disagree there. Even if the make up is 50 50, its not like how regular children are conceived. He was designed to be like Superman. Looks, powers, and all. The human dna was to act as a stabilizer and was completely altered. People just hear 50 50 and automatically assume he's a fusion of the two in his appearance. What I find strange is that Jon assumed Conner could have been an alternate him. I don't know if that was a nod to new 52 Kon but going from that to Lex and Clark having a baby has me confused on what they think Conner looks like.
    The part about the human dna in Conner being altered was likely a way of Geoff Johns to connect his new origin (clone of Superman and Lex) with his first origin (a human clone altered).

However, his human dna being altered in Conner's new origin wasn't really important and was mentioned only once. It was totally ignored and forgotten after that.

Now, it is pretty likely that DC (and writers) has completely forgotten (and retconned too) that aspect. DC likely consider Conner a human-kryptonian hybrid like Jon.

That's why they threat Conner as baby of Lex and Clark.

PS: Even if Conner recovers all his story (which seems unlikely), the part of "human dna altered" won't likely return.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-03-2020 at 03:30 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I would have to disagree there. Even if the make up is 50 50, its not like how regular children are conceived. He was designed to be like Superman. Looks, powers, and all. The human dna was to act as a stabilizer and was completely altered. People just hear 50 50 and automatically assume he's a fusion of the two in his appearance. What I find strange is that Jon assumed Conner could have been an alternate him. I don't know if that was a nod to new 52 Kon but going from that to Lex and Clark having a baby has me confused on what they think Conner looks like.
    To me, it comes down to simplicity. When you hear 50/50 you think 50/50. What's the harm in actually making good on that and using it? Ever since the 2003 version I've always just assumed he had some Lex-like features to his face. I'm more of a fan of his face being somewhat unique even with the great resemblance to Clark because he's not exactly a clone when you get down to it. He's the best they could do, and I think him not looking exactly like Clark plays into that.

Well, if he looks like Lex and Clark had a baby, but obviously favors Clark more, then it's not really much of a wonder why Jon would assume he's an alternate version of him. Jon greatly favors his dad, so they'd have a resemblance in the same way half brothers might. But even then, he could've just been talking about how kid around his age with a resemblance to his dad is wearing a super suit while in the Fortress with his dad. Given Jon's intimidate history with alternate universes and timelines, it's not out of the norm for him to ask that even in jest.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    DC likely consider Conner a human-kryptonian hybrid like Jon.
    This is something that I continue to wonder about. So far Bendis has introduced (and reintroduced) 3 Kryptonian hybrids (Jon, Rogol Zaar, and Conner), but so far just Jon and Zaar have shown out of the ordinary aspects to the powers that mirror one another, and Conner has seemed fairly consistent with a normal Kryptonian. But he was shown on a cover radiating blue energy from his hands similar to his classic TK powers, and neither Zaar nor Jon have shown anything similar in story or on a cover.

My personal guess at the moment is that Conner likely functions like a normal Kryptonian or he functions like a normal Kryptonian with the addition of whatever the energy based powers are.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah honestly I like how this artist draws him, he's muscular but because he is either 16 to 18 (its hard to tell with comic characters) he's clearly a tad slimmer then Clark.

Yep I like the size at that age difference. BTW I wish he was 18 or 19 years old.

I'm not ok with him looking like Lex. The furthest I'm willing to go is the eye color. In my mind he should look exactly like a teenage Clark. The goal was to clone Superman. I believe any inheritance from Lex should be subtle like certain personality traits. His ego, his genius, pride, libido, obsessiveness and willingness to do things Superman wouldn't. Imagine a guy who looks like Clark, straight up thinking he's a full on Supes clone on the surface but some of his behaviors and actions are clearly distinct from him. Reminiscent of another figure altogether. I like that mystery.

Best on screen version of the character I'd say is the DCAU Reign of the Superman version. He was the perfect amalgam of various depictions. His personality, the costume, the humor was absolutely perfect.

I agree with this completely

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I feel like that stopped being totally true in 2003 when a full half of his DNA became Lex's. This isn't the case in something like Young Justice where Conner is a clone with damaged aspects of his DNA being filled in by Lex's. This is a 50/50 split, and any strong traits from Superman are the result of strong genetics, but 50% is still 50% and not 100%.

I think in 2003 it's more accurate to say that Lex's goal was to create a weapon and heir that used Superman's DNA (thus his power). Just off the man's ego alone, I can believe that he'd do more than *just* settle for what is basically a functioning Bizarro, and that when you looked at his creation he'd want you to see the ever so slight resemblance of him looking back at you intruding upon perfection. Like doing his take on The Sistine Chapel.

But for the fact we know he was created to lokm just like Clark, they even made a joke about it while fighting some big guy on the Kent farm, I think in action comics.

Lex had control words to use his weapons, he didn't need it to look like him, he wanted supermans face, but his control

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agreed. He was 'the Kid,' in like the 90s.

But he's grown up now. Jon can be 'the Kid.' (or, at least, the younger teen) I don't need to see Conner reverted back to a skinny kid over and over, just as I have no interest in seeing Nightwing lose 100 lbs and a foot of height and go back to dressing in his old Robin getup.

I enjoyed his earlier adventures, particularly in Hawaii and PADs run on Young Justice, but that's long past, and I'm glad the Young Justice cartoon uses the more adult version of Conner.

Well I agree with this 2. What I like about him is he is actually aging and growing over time, not stuck in amber like superman

That's why they need to stop texting to mash up the 2 dad's looks and keep it he looks identical to Clark, BUT for the eyes and the sinister smile

The part about the human dna in Conner being altered was likely a way of Geoff Johns to connect his new origin (clone of Superman and Lex) with his first origin (a human clone altered).

However, his human dna being altered in Conner's new origin wasn't really important and was mentioned only once. It was totally ignored and forgotten after that.

Now, it is pretty likely that DC (and writers) has completely forgotten (and retconned too) that aspect. DC likely consider Conner a human-kryptonian hybrid like Jon.

PS: Even if Conner recovers all his story (which seems unlikely), the part of "human dna altered" won't likely return.

Either way kryptonian DNA would supersede human DNA easily, and most or all his characteristics would be Clark's for thst reason alone

Still doesn't change the fact that he was designed to look exactly like him. It's like restoration projects that use the original material and add in parts to either fill in gaps but outwardly looks exactly as the original. It doesn't matter if he was a human approximation of Supes or a human Krypto hybrid, the purpose was to recreate Superman.

To me, it comes down to simplicity. When you hear 50/50 you think 50/50. What's the harm in actually making good on that and using it? Ever since the 2003 version I've always just assumed he had some Lex-like features to his face. I'm more of a fan of his face being somewhat unique even with the great resemblance to Clark because he's not exactly a clone when you get down to it. He's the best they could do, and I think him not looking exactly like Clark plays into that.

Well, if he looks like Lex and Clark had a baby, but obviously favors Clark more, then it's not really much of a wonder why Jon would assume he's an alternate version of him. Jon greatly favors his dad, so they'd have a resemblance in the same way half brothers might. But even then, he could've just been talking about how kid around his age with a resemblance to his dad is wearing a super suit while in the Fortress with his dad. Given Jon's intimidate history with alternate universes and timelines, it's not out of the norm for him to ask that even in jest.

Then if you are all for the 50 50 look then you have to be for the 50 50 powers too, or you?

This is something that I continue to wonder about. So far Bendis has introduced (and reintroduced) 3 Kryptonian hybrids (Jon, Rogol Zaar, and Conner), but so far just Jon and Zaar have shown out of the ordinary aspects to the powers that mirror one another, and Conner has seemed fairly consistent with a normal Kryptonian. But he was shown on a cover radiating blue energy from his hands similar to his classic TK powers, and neither Zaar nor Jon have shown anything similar in story or on a cover.

My personal guess at the moment is that Conner likely functions like a normal Kryptonian or he functions like a normal Kryptonian with the addition of whatever the energy based powers are.

Rogal zaar is a big ugly mutant
    Jon has a nasty huge solar flare
    Kon has TTK, and just because they haven't shown it doesn't mean it isn't there, just like most of his time pre Flashpoint writers didn't use it, but it was there

Still doesn't change the fact that he was designed to look exactly like him. It's like restoration projects that use the original material and add in parts to either fill in gaps but outwardly looks exactly as the original. It doesn't matter if he was a human approximation of Supes or a human Krypto hybrid, the purpose was to recreate Superman.

Exactly, amd green eyes and control words with a clone that looks just like the guy he hates the most would be all he needs to fill he won

It's still needless and feels lazy. He was never exactly a clone from the beginning. He was like Dubbilex. A DNAlien. Genetically altered clone of Westfield made to be Superman. Everything about him was changed. That's how he was designed. I like that there's a mystery to his human donor that the general populace can't easily figure out by looking at him. It's something he'd keep close to the vest aside from those closest to him.

It's still needless and feels lazy. He was never exactly a clone from the beginning. He was like Dubbilex. A DNAlien. Genetically altered clone of Westfield made to be Superman. Everything about him was changed. That's how he was designed. I like that there's a mystery to his human donor that the general populace can't easily figure out by looking at him. It's something he'd keep close to the vest aside from those closest to him.
    I think lazy's kind of a strange thing to call it when it's ultimately really subjective and superfluous to the day to day functionality of the character. Conner looking like Clark isn't actually something that gets brought up all that often if at all even before this. He may as well have looked like Bruce Wayne with how little it really mattered. And I remember being younger and finding the DNAlien explanation of the 90s to be charming within context, but ultimately very unintuitive. My issue ultimately being if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, I'd rather you just tell me it's a duck rather than trying to subvert. The shift to Lex was a common sense shift towards clarity and a more user friendly origin.

But since the famous shaved head Conner story it's largely under utilized. So when you tell me the character is now more willing to go into moral gray areas (such as playing by mob rules and attacking STAR labs) and however little an addition of Lex features mixed in with the predominate Clark ones, then I'm hear for it because it operates under that same sort of clarity.

At the end of the day, we still need to get a sense of his new origins to more accurately judge.