Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I just realized that Steve hasn't been around in the WW book for almost a year at this point and I can't say I miss him. I barely even noticed. Maybe a new love interest isn't such a bad idea after all.
    It doesn't help Steve when writers just make him mope and whine about Diana being too busy saving lives to pay attention to him, or that once again DC can't hold a writer on Wonder Woman long enough for a status quo to stick and get rolling. As with pre-Flashpoint, we get a new status quo and supporting cast every six months or so. Great way to capitalize on her, DC.

Continuing my Bronze Age marathon I read the story with Steve Howard's death today.
    It really seems rushed as the book had switched to the Earth 2 Wonder Woman for most of the time he was alive. There was so much unexplored potential in that set up. They never even had a conversation on the page about him knowing her secret identity.
    I'm looking forward to the introduction of the AU Steve in 1980. I was a big fan of that era.

I hope the movie helps Steve because Steve was not boring or love stuck person. Let’s face it Perez harmed Steve’s character. Diana hasn’t had a love interested because of Perez. We can’t keep adding characters. I mean Diana main issue is they make new characters than they disappear. We even have to make sure Steve is written just for her to get to the man’s world and not date. Much like Nightwing and the Batfam. Dc doesn’t have any interest of making her have a long standing love interest. Clark is the only one.

If Steve Trevor crash-landed on Paradise Island, in 1973, I find it hard to imagine him, written as a hotshot fighter pilot. Admittedly, I can't imagine what profession he would have, but, I think it would be different.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It doesn't help Steve when writers just make him mope and whine about Diana being too busy saving lives to pay attention to him, or that once again DC can't hold a writer on Wonder Woman long enough for a status quo to stick and get rolling. As with pre-Flashpoint, we get a new status quo and supporting cast every six months or so. Great way to capitalize on her, DC.
    That seemed like an editorial mandate. His whininess came out of the clear blue sky and the contrivance of love not existing breaking them up, makes me think they didn't want him in the book. They knew Future State was coming and they'd have to explain how his presence effects her new timeline. Was he a WWII fighter pilot or a modern day Navy SEAL? So now she's playing David and Maddie with Maxwell Lord while they figure everything out.

Everyone has to be Batman no one can have a love interest. Steve can be a great character. We have seen it but it seems after many good writers set him up Dc is like no he is too interesting. Let him go on adventures without Diana.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That seemed like an editorial mandate. His whininess came out of the clear blue sky and the contrivance of love not existing breaking them up, makes me think they didn't want him in the book. They knew Future State was coming and they'd have to explain how his presence effects her new timeline. Was he a WWII fighter pilot or a modern day Navy SEAL? So now she's playing David and Maddie with Maxwell Lord while they figure everything out.
    And I thought Trinity shipping was gross. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That seemed like an editorial mandate. His whininess came out of the clear blue sky and the contrivance of love not existing breaking them up, makes me think they didn't want him in the book.
    I think one can make another read of the Steve-Diana dynamic. First, there is an editorial eternity between Wilson's run and whatever will come in Future State. I think Wilson intended not to break up Steve and Diana in the long run, but to give Steve a lot more personality (because the Steve that Rucka gave us was badass soldier) and a real exploration of Steve's and Diana's relationship. The method she chose to use—breakup and reunion—might not have been the best given their publication history, but at least it fits very well with Aphrodite being killed and its consequences.

That Atlantiades ascended when they accepted Steve's and Diana's love for each other ought to be a huge big honking clue that Wilson intended the two of them to get together again.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Poor Steve, so many people not wanting him to get his shot.

The only thing wrong with Steve (and I’d say the same about Etta) is they haven’t been developed and mainstays as major supporting characters in the book. With all the different types of iconography that Diana represents, creators simply have to develop aspects of his character that also symbolic to thematically play against Diana, Etta, Hippolyta, Wonder foes, and other characters in the Wonderverse and broader DCU.

Stop treating Diana and Steve as paragons within those themes and you start to see the cracks within their characters to build on for stories, create drama, and character growth.

There are so many ways and lenses from which to challenge and view and mess with their relationship that it’s wild (but not surprising) to me that creators don’t see his potential.

Poor Steve is under-regarded and underestimated as a character.

Fantastic Member

I remember how some were crying how bad it was for SM to be WW love interest in the new 52.WW belong with Steve!!That was even pushed hard when Dc rebooted!! I think it odd that it didn't take to long to break them up!! What happened?? I thought Steve was WW true love!! If that is so, why aren't they together now?? If the fan want them together so much!! ????
    Last edited by lotchj; 10-27-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Astonishing Member

Fans may want them together but sadly, they aren't the ones writing the books.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Fans may want them together but sadly, they aren't the ones writing the books.
    Still don't understand why the writers don't want them together. Don't the writers want to sale books??

Yea but they think Diana should be with Bruce or Clark because they are well known. I find it interesting Steve’s animated cameos or appearances are far more interesting. I really want a reason why Steve wanted to be in military. Or his family. I think one of his family was evil. Give him his own rival.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea but they think Diana should be with Bruce or Clark because they are well known. I find it interesting Steve’s animated cameos or appearances are far more interesting. I really want a reason why Steve wanted to be in military. Or his family. I think one of his family was evil. Give him his own rival.
    To tell you the truth i liked WW with SM in the new 52!! But if we can't have that again, i prefer her with Steve!! I hate her with the Batgod!! Always have, always will!!

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of trinity shipping, whether it's with Bruce or Clark. I don't find either relationship favourable towards Diana in any way shape or form.

Steve deserves to be given a real chance, now more so when DC has shown efforts to build up or maintain stable relationships for the two guys in the trinity with their respective partners but nothing on Diana's end. I think Steve is/can be a fascinating and worthy partner for Diana if they paid as much attention to her cast as they do for the other two. They could even feature him in the greater DCU outside of the WW book to raise up his profile as soldier/counter intelligence/spy or what have you. I think this is why I was looking forward to Bendis Leviathan/Checkmate output to see more of Steve in his element. How can readers be drawn to him if DC won't actually write him?
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 10-29-2020 at 12:41 AM.