Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I love Diana and Steve together, but I’d love to see some more epic romance action/adventure stories with them. While Steve was returned to us with DCnU, he was already sidelined in their relationship going bust off page in the Justice League title and not appearing at all in Azz’s run.

We just need a lot of good stories where Steve is present and they’re shown in love and romantic, despite the craziness, or because of the craziness, in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I love Diana and Steve together, but I’d love to see some more epic romance action/adventure stories with them. While Steve was returned to us with DCnU, he was already sidelined in their relationship going bust off page in the Justice League title and not appearing at all in Azz’s run.

We just need a lot of good stories where Steve is present and they’re shown in love and romantic, despite the craziness, or because of the craziness, in their lives.
    Hopefully the movie has the knock-on effect of bringing them back in the comics. Usually not one for movie synergy but when the movies gotta better handle the comics...

BANNED

One of the most memorable scenes of Steve Trevor and Diana that I still remember to this day is the episode of JLU where in the last scene Diana meet the Old Steve and they talked about their past together. That's still the best scene of Steve Trevor and to be honest the most romantics and sad scene of the pair. But, I really want more scenes like that in comics, because usually, we watched how Superman will and definitely outlive his peers, but not Wonder Woman. While I knew that it's because WW still has home and family in the form of the Amazons and Paradise Island, but even then her friends in the Man's World won't last as long as her family in Paradise Island.

I really hoped that one day, DC will touch this scene and gave us a moment with Steve Trevor that is romantic and heartfelt like that JLU episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    One of the most memorable scenes of Steve Trevor and Diana that I still remember to this day is the episode of JLU where in the last scene Diana meet the Old Steve and they talked about their past together. That's still the best scene of Steve Trevor and to be honest the most romantics and sad scene of the pair. But, I really want more scenes like that in comics, because usually, we watched how Superman will and definitely outlive his peers, but not Wonder Woman. While I knew that it's because WW still has home and family in the form of the Amazons and Paradise Island, but even then her friends in the Man's World won't last as long as her family in Paradise Island.

I really hoped that one day, DC will touch this scene and gave us a moment with Steve Trevor that is romantic and heartfelt like that JLU episode.
    I liked that moment in isolation but in the context of the rest of the show it's rather bittersweet given how the show jettisoned/mishandled so much Diana's mythos.

And how the show's main legacy on Diana being the Batman schoolgirl crush.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked that moment in isolation but in the context of the rest of the show it's rather bittersweet given how the show jettisoned/mishandled so much Diana's mythos.

And how the show's main legacy on Diana being the Batman schoolgirl crush.
    Lol yeah! They really screw her by being Batman's crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Lol yeah! They really screw her by being Batman's crush.
    Thank god for the movie.

I have absolutely nothing against Batman having a huge crush on Wonder Woman. But that it's mutual? No way.

I think a huge problem for the Diana/Steve Trevor pairing is that it goes against all the ingrained patterns of patriarchy. Diana is stronger, faster, better educated, more capable, and more powerful than Steve in every way. But with exception of some very few writers, no-one has even tried to present him as a serious partner to Wonder Woman. He is turned into some version of Andy Capp, or his relation to Diana becomes secondary to his role as secret agent or soldier. In fact, the only comics writer who tried to deal seriously with Steve's and Diana's relation in mainline books that I can think of is Wilson, and I think she also failed to show how capable Steve should be after the first adventure. (Though I do note that having Steve flat on his back goes back to the very beginning of Wonder Woman.)

Of course, the movie managed handily to portray Steve's and Diana's relation, showing that the problem really isn't with Steve, but how DC's writers and editors have handled him.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against Batman having a huge crush on Wonder Woman. But that it's mutual? No way.

I think a huge problem for the Diana/Steve Trevor pairing is that it goes against all the ingrained patterns of patriarchy. Diana is stronger, faster, better educated, more capable, and more powerful than Steve in every way. But with exception of some very few writers, no-one has even tried to present him as a serious partner to Wonder Woman. He is turned into some version of Andy Capp, or his relation to Diana becomes secondary to his role as secret agent or soldier. In fact, the only comics writer who tried to deal seriously with Steve's and Diana's relation in mainline books that I can think of is Wilson, and I think she also failed to show how capable Steve should be after the first adventure. (Though I do note that having Steve flat on his back goes back to the very beginning of Wonder Woman.)

Of course, the movie managed handily to portray Steve's and Diana's relation, showing that the problem really isn't with Steve, but how DC's writers and editors have handled him.
    Think it'd be a more radical idea at DC that neither Bruce or Diana have feelings towards one another beyond just being work acquaintances.

Guess the only comparable relationship I can think of at DC is Scott and Barda, though even there Scott is still a New God so it's not exactly 1:1.

In many ways, the issue is how does Steve fit in her mythical world? Does he believe in gods? We also don't get to see him do other things like how in Azz we see Diana going to clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    In many ways, the issue is how does Steve fit in her mythical world? Does he believe in gods? We also don't get to see him do other things like how in Azz we see Diana going to clubs.
    Don't think Steve's religion has tended to be addressed much, or really much at in DC with how all religions apparently being true affects religious belief. Movie tended to give me the view Steve would probably be weirded out/annoyed with probably some of the more mythological/out-there aspects of Diana's world but he goes along with it because of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Don't think Steve's religion has tended to be addressed much, or really much at in DC with how all religions apparently being true affects religious belief. Movie tended to give me the view Steve would probably be weirded out/annoyed with probably some of the more mythological/out-there aspects of Diana's world but he goes along with it because of her.
    I like to think Athena would be the perfect fit for Steve,

On the whole discussion of Perez's effect on Steve, it feels like that it's a dated issue too of a strong woman not being able to have a relationship - like it's a choice, she can be strong, or she can have a man/love, but not both. I can't help but see a parallel with Star Trek Voyager and Janeway. Kate Mulgrew opposed letting Janeway have an ongoing relationship because she was it as something that could weaken the character. So that may be seen as an attitude that was part of that late 80s/90s era.
    So not only did Perez erase the Steve and Diana romance, he didn't let Diana have any noteworthy romance. Other writers tried to do something with Diana's love life, Trevor Barnes comes to mind, and the name clearly was an homage to Steve Trevor - and it was daring at the time for Diana to have an interracial relationship - but her love life didn't really take off until Steve was returned in New 52, which I'll grudgingly admit is one of the few things New 52 did right.