Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default When the movie comes out, will you see it in the theater?

I want to say first that this post is not a judgment on individual choices anyone makes; I'm just curious to know how many people plan to see the movie in the theater.

Having known a few people who got very sick from COVID-19, I breathed a sigh of relief when the WW 84 movie was pushed to December and I didn't have to make a decision about whether I'd support the theatrical release by attending in person. Although I know a few people who have been to the movies and described their experience as safe and enjoyable, I'm just not ready to take that risk, no matter how much I want the film franchise to succeed and how much I really do want to see the film on the big screen.

One option I've considered is buying a ticket to support the theatrical release but just staying home. Someone else I know is planning to rent a showing and just take the people in his "pod."

Anyway, what about you? Will your favorite superhero get your butt into a theater seat, will you wait until an effective vaccine exists, or do you have another plan?

Hades, no.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Not until there’s a vaccine. This was one of only two movies I was looking forward this year to but it’s not worth the risk.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not until there’s a vaccine. This was one of only two movies I was looking forward this year to but it’s not worth the risk.
    I concur. Even Spike Lee said he wouldn't step foot inside a movie theater until there's a vaccine. And that dude makes a living from those places.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Yes, I would. I usually like to go to movies during down times, regardless. I hate crowded theaters. If there is a early showing, I would go with my mask and face shield. I simply wouldn't eat or drink anything.

Regardless of whether a vaccine releases anytime soon, I would not feel comfortable being in a theater without a face mask until 2022 or 2023 at the earliest, so a vaccine does not necessarily stop me from wanting to go.

P.S. One reason for this is I live near a locally owned theater that gets modest business, at best. If I lived near the massive AMC I used to live by, that would significantly change my mind.

Spectacular Member

no not going to the movies for anything until I don't have to worry about Covid

Sure, I don't see why not.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As much as I want to see this movie in a theater, I won't unless the pandemic is under control. I love Wonder Woman but not enough to risk my health. Hopefully they release this on streaming at the same time it's released in theaters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Imma be honest, they are more than likely going to send it to stream, it will not survive in theaters, Tenet proved that already. I'm wouldn't go to a theater for a while, not worth the risk.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Imma be honest, they are more than likely going to send it to stream, it will not survive in theaters, Tenet proved that already. I'm wouldn't go to a theater for a while, not worth the risk.
    I really hope more filmmakers/studios realize that. I'm fine with them holding off until there's a vaccine, but don't release it in theaters a second before. I'm more than happy to wait, but if they want to just release it streaming, I'm fine with that, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

My wife and I went to see a movie last month, but it was an artsy science fiction movie with plenty of space in the theatre. Something like Wonder Woman 1984 is an entirely different kettle of fish. A lot will depend on the local situation. The movie theatres are not that dangerous a place in comparison with other activities, but it's still a risk until we get a reasonably effective vaccine.

(For those curious, it was Last and First Men.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yes. I honestly feel I had it in February and still have the antibodies.

I'm trying not to go anywhere I don't have to right now. My wife's immune system is weak, both our mothers are old and have a lot of risk factors, and I straight up just don't trust people. It's not the virus I'm afraid of, it's people who won't take some simple, common sense precautions that worries me. Plus we live in a tourist trap town and even this year, have people from all over the country and the world showing up. We're not New York or one of the other big hotspots, so people think it's safe. Well, it was, until all y'all pulled up and brought your sickness with you.

Besides, I don't think I'd enjoy the theater experience right now anyway. Spending two hours trying to keep my beard out of my mouth but still inside a hot uncomfortable mask, just to watch a movie? Nah, I'm good.

WW84 is coming out in December now, right? Tourist season is wrapping up this month so by then....well, we'll see where we're at.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-08-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

No. I'll just wait until it's available to buy (if reviews are good), rent (if reviews are middling) or stream (if reviews are poor).

I hope to - our local Cinemark allows you to rent a theater for 20 people, so I might treat my friends.

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't go to an open theater.